Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML by…

Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML

by Elisabeth Freeman, Eric Freeman

Series: Head First

Dreamweaver CS4: The Missing Manual by David Sawyer McFarland (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: These book compliment each other very nicely.

English (12)  French (1)  All languages (13)
At first, I was a bit annoyed with the cutesy presentation (overuse of photos of cool people with thinking captions above their heads, the “There Are No Dumb Questions” section, etc.). However, after two or three chapters, I appreciated how clear and easy to understand the authors made this dry and tedious subject. I read this for a course where basic HTML knowledge was assumed, so our main focus was on CSS and XHTML. The online extras (links are found in the book) are invaluable! This is an excellent resource and I highly recommend it. ( )
  DorsVenabili | Nov 25, 2011 |
Wanting to learn CSS I pulled down several books at the bookstore and began thumbing through them. Later I took a look online at reviews and thought to give it a try. Initially I was put off by the rigamarole that the Head First team goes through to explain their philosophy of pounding the material into your head.

But it is good. Humor, with some real world examples and repetition do seem to work here. The only thing lacking is that the book should have a reference instead of telling you to buy another book so you could have a dictionary of the terms they have now struggled so diligently to teach you.

Another detraction is the 45 days online free. Once you buy it, find someway to make that always free online. Make the user stronger and the relationship between purchaser/student and author/teacher better. Build on it, and find someway to make those tests in the book interactive on the web. A good resource and entertaining as well. ( )
  DWWilkin | Jun 15, 2011 |
I haven't read the whole thing, but it has been a valuable introduction and reference. I'm hoping to use this book to teach some HTML to my daughter this summer. ( )
  ImBookingIt | Mar 26, 2010 |
This was an excellent workbook to learn XHTML, HTML, and CSS. Nicely laid out with easy steps to work through. I highly recommend using this title for quickly learning the basics on web design. ( )
  wvlibrarydude | May 2, 2009 |
Extremely minimal index desperately detracts from the future usefulness of this book! That is a big problem. However the fun happy pictures lighten the load of learning and keep you from getting buried in seriousness. ( )
  ewayus | Dec 26, 2008 |

Freeman, Elisabethprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, Ericmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 059610197X, Paperback)

Today, serious Web pages use HTML and XHTML to structure their content and CSS for style and presentation. You need a book that understands how to incorporate everything correctly. Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML explains the fundamentals of HTML, XHTML, topics like web color, and CSS properties. In this book, pictures and step-by-step instructions explain how to build great-looking, standards-compliant web sites.

The Road to Programming is Sometimes Paved with Web Pages By Elisabeth Robson I am often asked how I first got started in programming. Recently, I was interviewed by Girls Gone Geek, a weekly podcast on technology from a women's perspective, and they asked if I got started by creating web sites. The Girls clearly have no idea how old I am! (Shhh...) I actually started programming long before the Web was a twinkle in Tim Berners-Lee's eye, but their question got me thinking, and I realized that creating a web site is a good way to get started on your way to programming. Now, you might be thinking, "Writing HTML and CSS is not the same thing as programming", and that's technically true. But once you've put together a basic web page, you'll have learned a lot about how the web works under the covers, and you'll be able to tackle some simple programming concepts. The next logical step is to learn a bit of JavaScript, so you can create some cool effects on your web page. Before you know it, you'll be learning Ajax, and then a server side programming language like PHP or Java, and then you'll need a database, so you'll learn some SQL... and ta da! You're a web programmer. I work with several people who have taken an interesting path to programming. One friend has an advanced degree in music and is now a business data analysis expert; another started out wanting to be a farmer, became a web application programmer, and is now a serious Java programmer.

For those of you who have no interest in the mechanics of web pages, there are lots of programs out there, like Adobe Dreamweaver and Microsoft Expression, that will help you create a web page without having to know how HTML and CSS really work. But if you want to know what's happening under the covers so you can learn about how web pages really work, and eventually write some JavaScript and do more advanced programming, I definitely recommend writing your own HTML and CSS from scratch. You can use a simple editor like TextEdit (on the Mac) or TextPad (on Windows). No need for anything fancy. Another advantage to writing HTML and CSS yourself is that you can always write your web pages using the most current standards. When we wrote Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML, HTML 4.01, CSS 2, and XHTML 1.0 were the most current and best supported versions of these technologies, and in fact they still are. But standards development is inching along and before too long, HTML 5, CSS 3 and XHTML 2.0 will be launched and supported by browsers. If you stay up to date with these standards, you're likely to be writing far better code than programs like Dreamweaver or Expression do. Once the new standards for HTML, CSS and XHTML are nailed down a bit more, we'll update Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML to include some of the cool new features. HTML 5 will be more strict than HTML 4 was, but it's designed to be backwards compatible with older browsers, so you will be able to convert your HTML 4 pages to HTML 5 web pages without worrying too much about breaking them in older browsers. (However, always keep in mind that there is no substitute for lots of testing!) In the meantime, you can write HTML 4.01, CSS 2 and XHTML 1 knowing that these standards will be the most current and the best supported for quite a while. When the new standards are released and supported by browsers, we'll help you sort through it all so you can focus on creating great web pages and building up your web skills. And once you get the hang of some of these web page skills, you might very well find yourself wanting to move from creating web pages to programming.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:00 -0400)

Presents information on creating Web pages using HTML, CSS, and XHTML.

O'Reilly Media

An edition of this book was published by O'Reilly Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible