dismiss

Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML (2005)

by Elisabeth Freeman, Eric Freeman

Series: Head First

"A complete learning experience for creating industry standard Web pages - but you won't be just reading: you'll be playing games, solving puzzles, pondering mysteries and creating Web pages like you never imagined. You'll be also learning how HTML works with CSS . . . if you're going to create Web pages in the 21st century, then you want to know and to understand CSS, too."… (more)
    Dreamweaver CS4: The Missing Manual by David Sawyer McFarland (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: These book compliment each other very nicely.

English (12)  French (1)  All languages (13)
At first, I was a bit annoyed with the cutesy presentation (overuse of photos of cool people with thinking captions above their heads, the “There Are No Dumb Questions” section, etc.). However, after two or three chapters, I appreciated how clear and easy to understand the authors made this dry and tedious subject. I read this for a course where basic HTML knowledge was assumed, so our main focus was on CSS and XHTML. The online extras (links are found in the book) are invaluable! This is an excellent resource and I highly recommend it. ( )
  DorsVenabili | Nov 25, 2011 |
Wanting to learn CSS I pulled down several books at the bookstore and began thumbing through them. Later I took a look online at reviews and thought to give it a try. Initially I was put off by the rigamarole that the Head First team goes through to explain their philosophy of pounding the material into your head.

But it is good. Humor, with some real world examples and repetition do seem to work here. The only thing lacking is that the book should have a reference instead of telling you to buy another book so you could have a dictionary of the terms they have now struggled so diligently to teach you.

Another detraction is the 45 days online free. Once you buy it, find someway to make that always free online. Make the user stronger and the relationship between purchaser/student and author/teacher better. Build on it, and find someway to make those tests in the book interactive on the web. A good resource and entertaining as well. ( )
  DWWilkin | Jun 15, 2011 |
I haven't read the whole thing, but it has been a valuable introduction and reference. I'm hoping to use this book to teach some HTML to my daughter this summer. ( )
  ImBookingIt | Mar 26, 2010 |
This was an excellent workbook to learn XHTML, HTML, and CSS. Nicely laid out with easy steps to work through. I highly recommend using this title for quickly learning the basics on web design. ( )
  wvlibrarydude | May 2, 2009 |
Extremely minimal index desperately detracts from the future usefulness of this book! That is a big problem. However the fun happy pictures lighten the load of learning and keep you from getting buried in seriousness. ( )
  ewayus | Dec 26, 2008 |

Freeman, Elisabethprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, Ericmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

O'Reilly Media

An edition of this book was published by O'Reilly Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,932,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible