The Temporal Void (Void Trilogy 2) by Peter…

The Temporal Void (Void Trilogy 2) (edition 2009)

by Peter F. Hamilton

1,126177,287 (4)1 / 26
Member:MarcusAverius
Title:The Temporal Void (Void Trilogy 2)
Authors:Peter F. Hamilton
Info:Pan (2009), Paperback, 752 pages
Collections:Your library, Read It
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Sci-Fi

The Temporal Void by Peter F. Hamilton

Peter F. Hamilton continues to amaze with his elaborately constructed world-building, and complex imagination. Characters are numerous and deeply drawn and live in a world so different from ours, and yet, still colored by our internal faults, prejudices and hatreds. Still, hope and joy and love are there too, and the desire to strive above what limits us and succeed in changing the universe. ( )
  majkia | Jul 17, 2016 |
More intersting than the first part, awaiting the last. ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 1, 2016 |
It's so hard to say anything about The Temporal Void without letting out major spoilers. Even discussing basic plot points reveals what happened at the end of The Dreaming Void. I'm going to do my best to give a brief, spoiler-free summary -- I don't want to ruin it for anybody who might accidentally stumble across my review.

In the Commonwealth side of The Temporal Void, the factions begin fighting over who will first acquire the newly-identified Second Dreamer -- who continues to elude them. Meanwhile, the Raiel guard the Void, unrelenting in their vow not to allow the Pilgrimage, and Aaron and Corrie-Lyn embark on a quest to determine whether Inigo is still alive, and whether he'll have any influence over the impending Pilgrimage. Within the Void, the full extent of Edeard's psychic powers becomes apparent.

I enjoyed The Temporal Void a little more than The Dreaming Void, mostly because I finally understood who the many characters were and how they're all connected, but also because Edeard is a much more prominent character, and, in this installment at least, I found his story a lot more intriguing than everybody else's. While I'm nowhere near as confused as I was during The Dreaming Void, I do still wonder whether I'd more fully appreciate the story if I'd read the Commonwealth series.

Overall, The Temporal Void is an excellent book. I'm already well into The Evolutionary Void, which I'm hoping to finish within the next few days -- and then I'll finally be able to read The Abyss Beyond Dreams. ( )
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |
The Temporal Void is not as strong as its predecessor, [b:The Dreaming Void|866136|The Dreaming Void (Void, #1)|Peter F. Hamilton|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320491232s/866136.jpg|851537], but it's still a strong book, if more of a 3.5 than a 4. The book continues the story, but this time the SF side is stronger than the fantasy. Both have weaknesses. On the SF side, key character Araminta experiments with different romantic/sexual relations. Unfortunately, it comes across less as exploration of future social models than as an exercise in wish fulfillment. It's distracting, but not really intrusive. The other complexities of the SF world work better than in the first book - partly because of greater familiarity, partly because they focus more on individual relationships.

On the fantasy side, the story remains interesting, if a bit political. However, it weakens substantially at the end. I can't decide whether Hamilton got bored with aspects of the Edeard-Salrana relationship, or just made unusual choices. Either way, I disliked the effect, and liked Edeard substantially less as a result - this is problematic, since he's at the center of the entire story, and it's important that we admire him. Even when he takes advantage of "fix-it" magic, he doesn't go far enough.

Overall, a worthy successor to The Dreaming Void,, though I wish Hamilton had paid more attention to the ending and wrap-up. ( )
  BMorrisAllen | May 14, 2013 |
It was great and I'm starting the final book of the series now! ( )
  cynrwiecko | May 3, 2013 |
Readers and fans of Peter F. Hamilton will find everything they have come to expect from his work present in The Temporal Void. There are the high-tech civilizations, this is, after all, a space-opera, and the individuals they empower. There are insider schemes and outsiders desperately trying to figure out what's going on. There is also the author's seeming fascination with life after death, all of it wrapped up in a story that places as much emphasis on characters as it does gadgets and galaxy-threatening, life-changing events.
added by sdobie | editSF Site, Greg L. Johnson (Jul 15, 2009)

Peter F. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Youll, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strangely enough, it was the oak trees which Justine Burnelli always remembered from the day Centurion Station died.

The Intersolar Commonwealth is in turmoil and at the center of the controversy is Edeard, the Waterwalker, whose crusade against corruption, injustice, and violence in the face of temptation and betrayal will test his extraordinary powers.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,316,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible