Commentary on Galatians by Martin Luther

Commentary on Galatians

by Martin Luther

This is a classic commentary on Paul's letter to the Galatians in which the great reformer reveals profound truths in a simple manner, without unnecessary wordiness and theological jargon. In this verse-by-verse exposition you will find what you are looking for and gain a better understanding of the motivation behind Luther's start of the Reformation.
  Stormrev1 | Jul 21, 2014 |
This commentary is exceptional for understanding the difference between Law and Gospel and the purposes of the law after the resurrection of Jesus. I would suggest reading the book of Galatians many times in conjunction with reading a section from this each day. Grace is given freely to me, there is no work of mine that can take care of the mountainous problem of my sin, let alone the world's sin- something I need to be reminded of often. ( )
  erinjamieson | Jan 4, 2013 |
Life changing.
  wweagle | Jan 31, 2010 |
This is an abridged translation of Luther's Commentary of Galatians. All I can say is that the original must be a pretty hefty tome, because Dr. Luther does seem to carry on. But that's not so bad, because he's also interesting to read. (I suppose that's one reason his words have lasted all these centuries.) As a history buff, it was interesting to see how Dr. Luther drew parallels between the Judaizers troubling the 1st Century church in Galatia and his own opponents in the Roman Catholic Church. Of course, how those passages apply to me in the 21st Century is something I'll have to ponder on my own. But there's still many useful insights that apply to every age and make the book worth reading.
--J. ( )
  Hamburgerclan | Oct 11, 2009 |
This book was foundational to my understanding of Reformed theology. ( )
  GrinningDwarf | Oct 14, 2006 |
Nota bene: Just because it says "Bible", it doesn't necessarily need to be combined. When combining bible editions, please take a close look at what edition it actually is. There are substantial differences between a German Luther bible and an Einheitsübersetzung (the first has an author, Martin Luther, the second has no author). Same goes for Jewish translations: The bible as translated by Buber&Rosenzweig is a different work from the Tur-Sinai translation. Do not combine bibles that are clearly different.

For hundreds of years Christendom has been blessed with Bible commentaries written by great men of God who were highly respected for their godly work and their insight into spiritual truth. The Crossway Classic Commentary Series, carefully adapted for maximum understanding and usefulness, presents the very best work on individual Bible books for today's believers.

Ever since it was written, the apostle Paul's letter to the believers in Galatia has nurtured trust and assurance in Christ. Its grand themes of the superiority of Scripture over human reason, the sufficiency of Christ's atonement through his death, and the freedom of justification through faith alone continue to energize and enlighten Christians today.

This classic commentary from the heart of a courageous apostle will encourage and equip all who desire to understand, live out, and communicate the true gospel of Jesus Christ.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:38 -0400)

37 wanted3 free
1 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,639,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible