The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander

The Book of Three (original 1964; edition 1976)

by Lloyd Alexander

4,325961,143 (4.02)1 / 190
Member:EmScape
Title:The Book of Three
Authors:Lloyd Alexander
Info:Dell Yearling (1976) Edition: Sixth, paperback, 224 pages
Collections:All the Ebooks, Your library, Childhood Books
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, juvenile, fantasy, medium paperback, read, read in 2012, have ebook, Calibre import, @Garrett

The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (1964)

adventure (113) Celtic (26) children (76) children's (180) children's fiction (49) children's literature (79) classic (24) fantasy (1,108) fiction (484) juvenile (51) kids (26) Lloyd Alexander (27) magic (76) mythology (73) novel (37) own (33) paperback (38) Prydain (171) Prydain Chronicles (168) quest (40) read (86) series (130) sff (46) to-read (75) unread (23) Wales (54) Welsh (31) Welsh mythology (39) YA (156) young adult (183)

Similar to the hobbit, following the heroes journey in narrative writing, becoming self empowered. Faith in the good. series follows a boys transformation from pig keeper to king. ( )
  Breony | Jul 20, 2014 |
Recently read this aloud with my wife. The Welsh inspired names are a mouthful, but giving the characters their own voice is pretty easy and fun. ( )
  jscape2000 | Jul 8, 2014 |
I have read this book several times before. This review is from reading it to my son. It is still a classic and we both enjoyed reading it greatly. Taran is every boy who craves adventure. The characters are as lively as ever. There is quite a bit of humour in the tales too, especially from Gurgi and Fflewddur Fflam. Some of the names are a bit of a mouthful for an English speaker but they are generally fine. I am enjoying my return to the world of Prydain. ( )
  questbird | Jul 2, 2014 |

I first read this book way back in sixth grade as an assignment. At the time, I had never read fantasy, and really had no urge to do so. But I gave the book a chance because I loved my teacher. I'm so glad I did- this series has remained one of my favorites.
The Book of Three introduces us to the young Taran, who is itching to be a hero. Through a series of setbacks and errors, he gathers a little band of misfits- Eilonwy, Gurgi and Fflewddur Fflam. It sets the stage for the rest of the series while remaining a good stand alone book. ( )
  aharey | Mar 19, 2014 |
Approved for the dude. ( )
  sben | Feb 11, 2014 |

Lloyd Alexanderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langton, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JodyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pilhjerta, Ritva-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the children who listened, the grown-ups who were patient, and especially for Ann Durell.
Taran wanted to make a sword; but Coll, charged with the practical side of his education, decided on horseshoes.

Blending rich elements of Welsh legend and universal mythology, Lloyd Alexander creates the imaginary kingdom of Prydain to tell a tale of enchantment, both good and evil, and of the Assistant Pig-Keeper who wants to become a hero.

In an enthralling chronicle, Taran, Assistant Pig-Keeper to a famour oracular sow, sets out on a hazardous mission to save Prydain from the forces of evil. He meets adventures in which humor and valor are blended in a way that will keep readers of all ages completely absorbed — for this is fantasy that is rooted in reality and truth.

Mr. Alexander says in his introductory note: "Most of us are called on to perform tasks far beyond what we can do. Our capabilities seldom match our aspirations, and we are often woefully unprepared. To this extent, we are all Assistant Pig-Keepers at heart."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805080481, Paperback)

The tale of Taran, assistant pig keeper, has been entertaining young readers for generations. Set in the mythical land of Prydain (which bears a more than passing resemblance to Wales), Lloyd Alexander's book draws together the elements of the hero's journey from unformed boy to courageous young man. Taran grumbles with frustration at home in the hamlet Caer Dallben; he yearns to go into battle like his hero, Prince Gwydion. Before the story is over, he has met his hero and fought the evil leader who threatens the peace of Prydain: the Horned King.

What brings the tale of Taran to life is Alexander's skillful use of humor, and the way he personalizes the mythology he has so clearly studied. Taran isn't a stick figure; in fact, the author makes a point of mocking him just at the moments when he's acting the most highhanded and heroic. When he and the young girl Eilonwy flee the castle of the wicked queen Achren, Taran emotes, "'Spiral Castle has brought me only grief; I have no wish to see it again.' 'What has it brought the rest of us?' Eilonway asked. 'You make it sound as though we were just sitting around having a splendid time while you moan and take on.'" By the end, Alexander has spun a rousing hero's tale and created a compelling coming-of-age story. Readers will sigh with relief when they realize The Book of Three is only the first of the chronicles of Prydain. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:33 -0400)

Taran, Assistant Pig-Keeper to a famous oracular sow, sets out on a hazardous mission to save Prydain from the forces of evil.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible