The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander

The Book of Three (original 1964; edition 1976)

by Lloyd Alexander

4,7001051,009 (4.02)1 / 216
Member:EmScape
Title:The Book of Three
Authors:Lloyd Alexander
Info:Dell Yearling (1976) Edition: Sixth, paperback, 224 pages
Collections:All the Ebooks, Your library, Childhood Books
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, juvenile, fantasy, medium paperback, read, read in 2012, have ebook, Calibre import, @Garrett

The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (1964)

The Book of Three is the first book of Alexander's Chronicles of Prydian. It tells the story of Taran, an assistant pig keeper who dreams of being a hero. When his farm is attacked and the pig under his care escapes into the woods, Taran finds himself on an adventure that he had only dreamed of. This fun fantasy classic was a great read. The characters were entertaining and interesting and the story presented some great lessons for its target audience (middle readers). I am definitely looking forward to continuing this series and have added it to my list of possible bedtime reading for my kids. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 17, 2016 |
  Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |
I first read this book way back in sixth grade as an assignment. At the time, I had never read fantasy, and really had no urge to do so. But I gave the book a chance because I loved my teacher. I'm so glad I did- this series has remained one of my favorites.
The Book of Three introduces us to the young Taran, who is itching to be a hero. Through a series of setbacks and errors, he gathers a little band of misfits- Eilonwy, Gurgi and Fflewddur Fflam. It sets the stage for the rest of the series while remaining a good stand alone book. ( )
  aharey | Dec 26, 2015 |
I think I should have read this book when I was younger. I feel I missed my chance because now the writing is too juvenile for me. I couldn't really stand Eilonwy either, the way she always degraded Taran. Taran was a spoiled young brat. The rest of the character's weren't too bad. But definitely meant for young fantasy readers. It doesn't help that i pictured the animated characters from the movie based off of this series the whole time I was reading it. It's a series, but I won't be continuing. ( )
  Kassilem | Dec 13, 2015 |
Prydainin kronikan ensimmäisessä osassa Taran, Caer Dallbenin apulaissikopaimen voivottelee tylsää elämäänsä Dallbenin, tietäjän luona. Hänen elämänsä muuttuu kertaheitolla kun ennustajasika Hen Wen pakenee ja Taran lähtee etsimään sitä. Taranin tie muuttuu vaaralliseksi kun pimeyden ruhtinas alkaa etsiä sikaa käyttääkseen sitä omiin tarkoitusperiinsä. Taran kohtaa matkallaan mitä mielikuvituksellisempia tovereita ja vihollisia, ja oppii monia uusia asioita itsestään ja maasta jossa asuu.
Tarina on jännittävä ja mukaansatempaava, joskin kieli on selvästi nuorille suunnattua. Koko kronikassa osia on viisi.
  Heps | Nov 25, 2015 |

Lloyd Alexanderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hale, ShannonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Langton, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JodyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pilhjerta, Ritva-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the children who listened, the grown-ups who were patient, and especially for Ann Durell.
This chronicle of the Land of Prydain is not a retelling or retranslation of Welsh mythology. Prydain is not Wales—not entirely, at least. The inspiration for it comes from that magnificent land and its legends; but, essentially, Prydain is a country existing only in the imagination.

[From Lloyd Alexander's "Author's Note" to The Book of Three (1964)]
Taran wanted to make a sword; but Coll, charged with the practical side of his education, decided on horseshoes. And so it had been horseshoes all morning long. Taran's arms ached, soot blackened his face. At last he dropped the hammer and turned to Coll, who was watching him critically.

[From "The Assistant Pig-Keeper", chapter 1 of Lloyd Alexander's The Book of Three (1964)]

Blending rich elements of Welsh legend and universal mythology, Lloyd Alexander creates the imaginary kingdom of Prydain to tell a tale of enchantment, both good and evil, and of the Assistant Pig-Keeper who wants to become a hero.

In an enthralling chronicle, Taran, Assistant Pig-Keeper to a famour oracular sow, sets out on a hazardous mission to save Prydain from the forces of evil. He meets adventures in which humor and valor are blended in a way that will keep readers of all ages completely absorbed — for this is fantasy that is rooted in reality and truth.

Mr. Alexander says in his introductory note: "Most of us are called on to perform tasks far beyond what we can do. Our capabilities seldom match our aspirations, and we are often woefully unprepared. To this extent, we are all Assistant Pig-Keepers at heart."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805080481, Paperback)

The tale of Taran, assistant pig keeper, has been entertaining young readers for generations. Set in the mythical land of Prydain (which bears a more than passing resemblance to Wales), Lloyd Alexander's book draws together the elements of the hero's journey from unformed boy to courageous young man. Taran grumbles with frustration at home in the hamlet Caer Dallben; he yearns to go into battle like his hero, Prince Gwydion. Before the story is over, he has met his hero and fought the evil leader who threatens the peace of Prydain: the Horned King.

What brings the tale of Taran to life is Alexander's skillful use of humor, and the way he personalizes the mythology he has so clearly studied. Taran isn't a stick figure; in fact, the author makes a point of mocking him just at the moments when he's acting the most highhanded and heroic. When he and the young girl Eilonwy flee the castle of the wicked queen Achren, Taran emotes, "'Spiral Castle has brought me only grief; I have no wish to see it again.' 'What has it brought the rest of us?' Eilonway asked. 'You make it sound as though we were just sitting around having a splendid time while you moan and take on.'" By the end, Alexander has spun a rousing hero's tale and created a compelling coming-of-age story. Readers will sigh with relief when they realize The Book of Three is only the first of the chronicles of Prydain. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:33 -0400)

Taran, Assistant Pig-Keeper to a famous oracular sow, sets out on a hazardous mission to save Prydain from the forces of evil.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,019,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible