The Book of Ti'Ana (Myst, Book 2) by…

The Book of Ti'Ana (Myst, Book 2) (original 1996; edition 1996)

by Rand Miller, David Wingrove

Member:GustavoG
Title:The Book of Ti'Ana (Myst, Book 2)
Authors:Rand Miller
Other authors:David Wingrove
Info:Hyperion (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 592 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:612264006997 88920, rbg

Myst: The Book of Ti'ana by Rand Miller (1996)

Was good enough I would like to read the other two. ( )
  pking36330 | Feb 6, 2014 |
I was kind of surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I had been meaning to read it ever since I read the book of Atrius a year or so ago, but only got around to it after watching Dilandau3000's lets plays (highly recommended)to refresh my memory on the first 4 games before finally getting to the fifth.

It would have been nice if this book had been a bit more journal like and less novel like, but such is life I suppose. I guess we all have our alternative realities which we pine after, and in many ways that is what the D'ni are for me. They certainly were not perfect, but that doesn't mean they can't be inspiring. ( )
  swampygirl | Dec 9, 2013 |
this is a book I wouldn't have read without having tried to play the game. I'm not a fan. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Sep 6, 2013 |
Marvelously well written.

Reading it after _The Book of Atrus_, as intended, does infuse a terrible fatalism into the story. Knowing the future is being a slave to it... ( )
  GustavoG | Jan 5, 2013 |
The second in the Myst series, but in reality a prequel to the first, I throrough enjoyed the Book of Ti'ana. Enjoyed it, that is, with a few reservations. If this book were a linking book, then it would be beautiful, but a little off, and perhaps not entirely stable.

First off, it tied in quite seamlessly with its predecessor. This speaks of the amount of preparation that must have gone into the development of this world. It accomplishes what most prequels cannot, telling a story whose ending we already know in an interesting way, and perhaps showing us that we don't know as much as we think. The characters' motivations were all grounded in actual human emotions, and never felt like paper cutouts simply being manipulated by the author.

Except, that is, for the character of Veovis. At first, I felt that the author wanted us to dislike him. Then, it seemed that we were supposed to like him, but to rue his inevitable fall into evil and betrayal. Finally, we were expected to respect him and forgive him as one who allowed emotion to sway his better judgment.

I never really bought any of this. The shape of the story was strong, a friendship torn apart by different beliefs that had never theretofore been challenged. But since the friendship never felt real, neither did the drama, and that whole plot thread was just lacking for me.

Still, I ranked this book higher than its predecessor, and I did so because it showed me an interesting and intriguing world, through the lens of a mostly compelling story. I look forward to getting to the third in the series, and would have started it already if it were not several states away at the moment. ( )
  shabacus | Jul 8, 2012 |

Rand Millerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wingrove, Davidmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bowman, TomIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Deb and the girls
The sounding capsule was embedded in the rock face like a giant crystal, its occupants sealed within the translucent, soundproof cone.
In an infinite universe, all things are possible-within physical limits, that is-and any book that can be written does physically exist. Somewhere. The book is the bridge between the words and the physical actuality. Word and world are linked by the special properties of the book.
rand and David Wingrove Miller is actually two authors... It should read: Rand Miller and David Wingrove

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786889209, Mass Market Paperback)

Ti'ana, known among humans as Anna, is the first woman from the outside worldto enter the domain of D'ni. This is her story of trust and betrayal, and herstruggle against the evil schemes of Veovis, the architect of the destructionof D'ni, and all that she loves.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:22 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,505,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible