The Books of Faerie by Bronwyn Carlton

The Books of Faerie

by Bronwyn Carlton, Peter Gross (Illustrator), John Ney Rieber

This book is second in the series of 3 'Books of Faerie'. I enjoyed this second book better than [Auberon's Tale], mostly because the storyline is more linear and integrates well with the 'Books of Magic' collection.
Titania's upbringing, her role in the Faerie court and the role the Amadan plays as her advisor are all well portrayed, and it helped tying up lose ends from the 'Books of Magic'. The drawings are also very good, the colours do lend some magic to Faerie, and the Faerie characters are very human in their political dealings and warfare. Very good book! It is recommended, especially if you are fan of the 'Books of Magic'. ( )
  soniaandree | Feb 25, 2011 |
Okay. Not great. Two parts. First deals with Queen Titania's story and kind of answers who Timothy Hunter's mother is. The second part, which deals with Marya, is better. There's a few charming scenes where Marya's looking for Tim Hunter.

Appears to have been published in order to cash in on The Books of Magic. Although, I did appreciate that it included a bit of Tim's backstory. ( )
  one-horse.library | Mar 28, 2010 |
I've always had a special tendre for fairy tales for as long as I can remember (having read Grimm, Andersen, etc.) which explains why I would read anything linked to it. Double whammy on this one since it's not only about the fantastical world that is of Fay but one that's linked to Queen Titania as created by Gaiman & Vess (see "Sandman Library").

Carlton gives us the origin story of Queen Titania of Faerie (was I ever surprised to learn that King Auberon isn't her first husband) and that Timothy Hunter (of Gaiman's "The Books of Magic") is her offspring! Okay, mental note to self: have to read "The Books of Magic" once more.

By lending such a bleak world that is 11th century England & that of the accompanying plague gives the reader a foil that enables one to understand why Rosebud/Titania is the way she is, and of the choices she made since leaving the Earthworld.

The mini-series gives one more questions than answers...yet engages me all the more.

Book Details:

Title The Books of Faerie
Author Bronwyn Carlton;Neil Gaiman (Consultant)
Reviewed By Purplycookie ( )
  purplycookie | Apr 10, 2009 |
I picked this up purely because of the stunning cover art. I rarely read graphic novels but this one was certainly an attention grabber. The book contains 2 stories, the first of which revolves around Titania and begins in the present day but goes back to 11th century England. It tells of how a young girl called Maryrose, is lured to Faerieland and how she ultimately becomes Titania, Queen of Faerie. The second tale is about Tam Lin’s meeting with his illegitimate son. This one was a little confusing for me, but I am guessing that once I’ve read the rest of this series then all will become clear to me. I was captivated by this book and will definitely be looking out for more. ( )
  kehs | Apr 16, 2008 |

Bronwyn Carltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gross, PeterIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Rieber, John Neymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,655,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible