The Chocolatier's Wife by Cindy Lynn…

The Chocolatier's Wife (edition 2012)

by Cindy Lynn Speer

8619140,249 (3.93)8
Title:The Chocolatier's Wife
Authors:Cindy Lynn Speer
Info:Dragonwell Publishing (2012), Paperback, 278 pages
Tags:Arc, ebook, 13

The Chocolatier's Wife by Cindy Lynn Speer

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Although Howl's Moving Castle is considered YA, this book reminded me of it in the whimsical and quirky way the story is written and the romance and magic involved. Both books are delightful!
    Sorcery and Cecelia, or, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For fans of epistolary elements.
    Chocolat by Joanne Harris (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For those who enjoy exploring a chocolate shop.

Magic and murder, what more could I ask for? I really enjoyed this. My only minor complaint is that occasionally the author used expressions which were too British for the fantasy world -- why would the people of Berengeny refer to bedlam as madness for example?

I will look for more books by Speer! ( )
  leslie.98 | Sep 24, 2016 |
I won this from the Goodreads giveaway.

This is an interesting mystery/fantasy book, but the heroine was too pushy and rude. She was insanely jealous of any other woman, which is ridiculous. The book kept mentioning how she was plain, and I guess she felt inferior.

The book did seem to drag on and on. The ending was quite cliched, like a bad soap opera episode. Overall, it was a decent story but nothing spectacular. ( )
  lesindy | Nov 1, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Good story. Interesting culture clashes (at least three ways, plus the sprites). The way neither of them wanted to admit they were actually happy with the planned marriage was a little annoying, but it didn't actually derail anything so OK - and it was much better than the standard romance tropes of sudden attraction and instant love. The reasons for the plots were - weird. Secret babies and magical artifacts - and what exactly did the Bishop intend to do with it, hiding it that way? But it all made sense as I read, eventually. I kind of agree with William about his brother - he could try harder. Though they found a good solution by the end. Lots of good characterization, description, and plot - I think I'll be looking for more by Speer. I got this as an ER book, I've no idea why it took me so long to read it. Glad I finally got around to it! ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Sep 23, 2014 |
I got this as a LibraryThing Early Reviewer as an ebook. A great romance that kept me reading right to the end. ( )
  bunnyjadwiga | Apr 21, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fantasy, murder mystery and love story.
Tasmin's fiancé is accused of murder; Tasmin does what she can to save him from execution and uncover the real murderer.
I really enjoyed this novel, it was well-written and the story of Tasmin and William is worked out very well. I liked how Tasmin and William meet and fall in love, even though the circumstances and their families are against it. The mystery surrounding the murder case kept me guessing up to the end, when Speer ties up all lose ends and everything falls into place.
I also very much enjoyed the combination of the murder mystery and love story with fantasy; Speer's descriptions are lively and made me feel like I was part of the universe where Tasmin and William live. For me, this gave the story the bit extra that turned it from an ordinary murder mystery into something more enticing.
A very enjoyable read, I'd definitely be interested in reading more of Speer's work. ( )
  Britt84 | Jun 12, 2013 |
Time was in the kingdom of Berengeny that no one picked their spouses. No one courted – not officially, at any rate, and no one married in a moment’s foolish passion.

Tasmin, William’s wife to be, was chosen by a spell, as all wives and husbands are chosen. It’s a nice, tidy way to find a reasonable mate for almost everyone. Unfortunately, Tasmin is from the North, a place of magic and strange ritual, and William is from the South, where people pride themselves on being above the kind of insanity practiced by the Northerners, which has nothing to do with the fact that most people in the South have lost their ability to practice magic.
William doesn’t seem in a hurry to send for Tasmin, for which none of his family blame him. After all, she’s a barbarian. She, on the other hand, would like to know what’s keeping him. When he’s framed for murdering his patron, Tasmin takes matters into her own hands, harnessing the wind to bring her to William’s side. She’s gotten to know Wiliam from his letters. He’s not a murderer and she’s going to help him prove it.
William, incarcerated for a crime he didn’t commit is shunned by his family for the embarrassment, and for giving up the family shipping business for foolishness, and for saddling them with a Hag for a wife, which means he can’t protect Tasmin from his family’s cold dislike of his barbiaran wife-to-be–but that’s not the worst of it. Someone out there doesn’t like him and is begining to dislike Tasmin almost as much, and that someone isn’t at all averse to making sure William and Tasmin aren’t around long enough to celebrate their wedding.

Tasmin, of course, has other plans.

Cindy Lynn Speer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Chocolatier's Wife by Cindy Lynn Speer was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,814,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible