I'm Not Scared by Niccolò Ammaniti

I'm Not Scared (2001)

by Niccolò Ammaniti

English (63)  Italian (6)  Dutch (5)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (80)
This book really held my interests, I found myself on the edge of my seat wanting to know what was going to happen next. In fact, I finished the book in one setting. I am not usually a big fan of suspense thrillers, but there was something about Michele that made me care about him and what he was going through. It was different than anything else I have read and I would read other books by this author. ( )
  Cora-R | May 20, 2019 |
I picked this book up at a yard sale a couple of years ago and then, upon noticing the "Translated from Italian" bit, put it on the shelf and never thought of it again. I don't know why, but I have this inane aversion to translated things, often picturing them as old and dry and lacking any flourish. How wrong I was! I loved this book -- I loved the imagery and depth of the characters (ah, flourish!), the realistic portrayal of Michele's feelings and behaviors as a nine-year-old harnessed with an unimaginable burden. From the first page to the unexpected ending, this novel kept my attention and persuaded me to view translated literature in a more respectable light. Now to check out the movie... ( )
  Sarahbel | Sep 1, 2017 |
I liked the simplicity of this, the way the prose transports you to a tiny village community in Italy where you can feel the dust and smell the grass and yet doesn't include long descriptive passages. Seen through the eyes of a nine year old boy, it's a story of grinding poverty and inequality in a community with something rotten at its very heart. Cleverly, the author allows the reader to grasp what is going on without the narrator getting the true picture. I somehow had a feeling, as it gathered pace towards its conclusion, that it was winding up to drop me at the moment of the very highest drama, but let's face it there are books where you can forgive that. ( )
  jayne_charles | May 11, 2017 |
Hoewel dit boek gericht is op 15 , heb ik het in een adem uitgelezen (figuurlijk dan, letterlijk was niet mogelijk).
De 9-jarige hoofdrol speler, Michelle, vind tijdens het spelen rond een vervallen huis op een afgelegen plek, een naakte, gebonden jongen in een put. Deze jongen blijkt later te zijn ontvoerd. Hij is even oud als Michele, komt uit het rijke Milaan en heet Filippo Carducci. Het lukt Michelle een paar keer om de Filippo water en wat eten te brengen.

Langzaam komt hij tot de ontdekking dat zijn vader en bijna alle volwassenen uit het dorp iets met de gijzeling te maken hebben. Als hij bang is dat ze de jongen gaan vermoorden, gaat hij ’s nachts naar Filippo op zoek om hem te bevrijden.

Het einde van het verhaal viel tegen, leek wel of het nog niet af was toen het naar de drukker moest. Geschreven vanuit het oogpunt van een 9-jarige, met passend taal voor deze leeftijd. ( )
  EdwinKort | Mar 23, 2017 |
This was one of those uncomfortable stories that I'm not at all sure I even want to finish once I start reading, but since it was such a slim book I carried on with it. It was cringe worthy, but the writing wasn't the best or the worst I've encountered. I can see why it was turned into a movie because it read more like a screen play than a novel. ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |

Ammaniti, Niccolòprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hunt, JonathanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Long, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pluijm, Els van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
That much he knew. He had fallen into darkness. And at the instant he knew, he ceased to know.
Jack London
Dit boek is opgedragen aan mijn zusje Luisa, die me in de duisternis is gevolgd, met haar zilveren sterretje op haar jas gespeld.
This book is dedicated to my sister Luisa,
who followed me on the Nera
with her little silver star
pinned to her jacket.
I was just about to overtake Salvatore when I heard my sister scream.

The hottest summer of the twentieth century.

In a tiny community of five houses enclosed by wheat fields, the adults shelter indoors, while six children venture out on their bikes across the scorched, deserted countryside.

Exploring a dilapidated and uninhabited farmhouse, nine-year-old Michele Amitrano discovers a secret so momentous, so terrible, that he dare not tell anyone about it. To come to terms with what he has found, Michele has to draw strength from his own sense of humanity...

It is Ammaniti's ability to inhabit the mind and perspective of his young hero that makes I'm Not Scared such an affecting and extraordinary novel. The book is a masterpiece of coming of age; a compelling portrait of losing one's innocence and a powerful reflection on the complexities and compromises inherent in growing up.

A sweltering heat wave hits a tiny village in Southern Italy, sending the adults to seek shelter, while their children bicycle freely throughout the countryside, playing games and getting into trouble. On a dare, nine-year-old Michele Amitrano enters an old, abandoned farmhouse, where he stumbles upon a secret so terrible that he can t tell anybody. As the truth emerges, Michele learns that the horror in the creepy old house is closer to home than he ever imagined.… (more)

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,319,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible