Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Cat Who Robbed a Bank by Lilian Jackson…

The Cat Who Robbed a Bank (original 2000; edition 2000)

by Lilian Jackson Braun (Author)

Series: The Cat Who... (22)

As the Highland Games approach, Jim Qwilleran and the citizens of Pickax prepare to celebrate their Scottish heritage. But the revelry is marred when a visiting jewelry dealer is found dead in his hotel room. His assistant is missing, and the winner of the caber-tossing contest disappears as well. Qwill has a lot of mysteries to sort out, including Koko's sudden interest in photos, pennies, and paper towels.… (more)
Member:pwpw
Title:The Cat Who Robbed a Bank
Authors:Lilian Jackson Braun (Author)
Info:Headline (2000), Edition: hardcover, 320 pages

The Cat Who Robbed a Bank by Lilian Jackson Braun (2000)

Before reading:
Qwill and I spent too much time together in 2018, so we've been on a break. Lately I've started to miss him so I'm giving him another chance.

Review:
Well, I'm not sure we're getting back together. This is another in the "Cat Who..." series where I am pretty sure I would never have picked up a second one if this had been my first. The new Pickax hotel has its Grand Reopening - it got blown up in an earlier book - and is immediately the site of a murder that is barely described, of a character who is hardly mentioned, by another character who barely registers but nevertheless was the prime suspect from the word go. Just really not good.

There wasn't much time to describe the murder, yet there was TONS of description of some Scottish festival that might be more fascinating if you are of that nationality. Koko performed a few of his tricks, leading to clues that are interesting in retrospect but of absolutely no value in solving the crime.

There is a bit of interesting background stuff where we find about Qwill's father, his mother, and her relationship to Aunt Fanny who left all that money to Qwill. These revelations come in the form of letters discovered .... I forget where ... Bbt in the absolute worst development in the book, Qwill decides he doesn't want to know anymore and throws the letters into the fireplace. That was seriously dumb and out of character, especially as he had been saying earlier that he had no idea about his family.

I literally just finished reading it and I can't think of anything else to say about it. ( )
  AngeH | Jan 2, 2020 |
Another quick escape read...and once again I enjoyed it!

Pickax has a new hotel. The old Pickax Hotel was blown up and has now been completely remodeled and rebuild. This time around the style is much classier and the name has been changed to The Mackintosh Inn.

One of its first distinguished client is a Mr. Delacamp from Chicago. He is a jewellery dealer of some reknown and a bit on the splashy side. He comes to Pickax every 5 years to buy old pieces of jewellery from some of the oldtimers and sell reworked pieces to those who are interested. He really courts the ladies to make the sale.

During this time the tri-county Scottish Gathering and Highland Games were being held. With a good size Scottish population in the area, there was heavy competition between the counties.

When Delacamp is found dead in his suite things turn topsy-turvy. There are questions about who he really is and who his young female assistant is. Both are a bit of a mystery.

Once again, Koko tries to give Qwill clues to what is going on. Licking photographs, knocking books off shelves and other various tricks. Somehow Koko seems to know... ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Aug 15, 2019 |
Another fun, fast read. A charmer comes to town to by and sell jewlery. and is murder. Koko of course is trying to tell Qwill what happened. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jan 14, 2018 |
Qwill being Qwill and the cats being cats. A nice easy read. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 23, 2016 |
I listened to this for the second time in several years. This is one of my favorites of this series. Though still Brain Candy for the car, it's one of my favorite stories of the series. Between the Scottish Gathering, learning about Qwill's family tree from old letters, and the mechanical banks, it was a pretty interesting listen. The audiobook's actor does a nice job with the reading, too. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

Dedicated to Earl Bettinger
the husband who...
It was a September to remember!

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,681,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible