Lament by Maggie Stiefvater

I read this because I've really enjoyed other books by this author and learned this was her first. It was okay. Nothing fabulous, but not bad either. Probably won't read the sequel. 3.5 of 5 stars. ( )
  lauraodom | Apr 16, 2015 |
Sigh, was it me or did this book jump all over the place? I kept hoping to figure it out but felt completely off kilter. I love The Scorpio Races though so I will continue to read Stiefvater. ( )
  slsmitty25 | Feb 11, 2015 |
READ IN DUTCH

I liked the series about the wolves and that was why I wanted to try this series as well. I had little to no knowledge about fairies and whatsoever but I thought; lets give it a try.

I was not really what I expected it to be. The love story was weak and not really imaginative, the story itself was not great either. I was quite disappointed reading it. For me, it was not as special as her other series, which I enjoyed. I wouldn't recommend this series, please try her other series! ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
I have tried a number of other urban fantasy-type books lately that promised me a thrilling lush romance. This is the only one that has really delivered. Maybe it just presses my buttons, but I totally bought the chemistry between Deirdre and Luke. And oh, the ending. Ow. It's been a while since I found a romance that really twisted my heart the way I sometimes want it twisted.

Despite all that, I definitely had a soft-spot for James. I am a sucker for the witty male best friend.

I also loved that the main character is a harpist, and that Celtic music figures so prominently in the plot. Go musicians! I particularly enjoyed the song excerpts at the beginning of each section of the novel.

I am very much looking forward to the sequel! ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
I only grabbed this book so I could read the second book in this series for The Blog With Bite review that is due in a couple of weeks. I started to read it and in an instant I was hooked. I love a good faerie tale, especially one that has been thoroughly researched and even contains some new bits of faerie lore that I didn't know. The plot moved along at a pretty good pace, I was very happy with that, it was pretty amazing how some enemies turned friends and some friends turned enemy. I loved the main characters, especially together, they have the intensity, the forbidden longing that Edward and Bella possess times a thousand. I wish the more decent faerie could have taken Deirdre as well...*sigh* but I am not the author, so I don't get to make those choices. The ending plot twist was a pleasant surprise, it was enough of one that I didn't even see it coming, which is unusual for me, cause I am good at guessing and picking up the foreshadowing. I loved this book and am about to jump right into the second. One thing I did think that was a bit odd and different was that the faerie believed in God and Hell...usually with faerie tales faerie don't have beliefs like that or they have some form of the Old Gods. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Book One: You've left my heart shaken with a hopeless desolation, I'd have you to know It's the wonders of admiration your quiet face has taken and your beauty will haunt me wherever I go. - Bridgit O'Malley
Book Two: Now when we're out a-sailing and you are far behind fine letters will I write to you with the secrets of my mind, The secrets of my mind, my girl, you're the girl that I adore, And still I live in hope to see the Holy Ground once more. You're the girl that I adore, and still I live in hope to see the Holy Ground once more. - "The Holy Ground"
Book Three: I sat within a valley green, Sat there with my true love, And my fond heart strove to choose between the old love and the new love... While soft the wind blew down the glade and shook the golden barely. - "The Wind That Shakes the Barley"
Book Four: The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone - in the ranks of death you will find him. - "The Minstrel Boy"
Book Five: My love, fond and true, What else could I do - But shield you from wind and from weather? When the shots fall like hail, They us both shall assail - And mayhap we shall die together. - "Ned of the Hill"
To my dad, because he's like me,
and Ed, because he's not.
He didn't know how long he'd been clinging there.

Sixteen-year-old Dee is a cloverhand - someone who can see faeries. When she finds herself irresistibly drawn to beautiful, mysterious Luke, Dee senses that he wants something more dangerous than a summer romance.

But Dee doesn't realize that Luke is an assassin from the faerie world.

And she is his next target.

FROM THE AUTHOR OF THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING NOVEL SHIVER

Starred Review"Vibrant and potent, YA readers searching for faerie stories will be happy to find this accomplished debut novel."
Publishers Weekly
(starred review)

Starred Review"This beautiful and out-of-the-ordinary debut novel, with its authentic depiction of Celtic Faerie lore and dangerous forbidden love in a contemporary American setting, will appeal to readers of Nancy Werlin's Impossible and Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series."
Booklist
(starred review)

Starred Review"Part adventure, part fantasy, and wholly riveting love story, Lament will delight nearly all audiences with its skillful blend of magic and ordinary life."
KLIATT (starred review)

Sixteen-year-old Deirdre Monaghan is a painfully shy but prodigiously gifted musician. She's about to find out she's also a cloverhand—one who can see faeries. Deirdre finds herself infatuated with a mysterious boy who enters her ordinary suburban life, seemingly out of thin air. Trouble is, the enigmatic and gorgeous Luke turns out to be a gallowglass—a soulless faerie assassin. An equally hunky—and equally dangerous—dark faerie soldier named Aodhan is also stalking Deirdre. Sworn enemies, Luke and Aodhan each have a deadly assignment from the Faerie Queen. Namely, kill Deirdre before her music captures the attention of the Fae and threatens the Queen's sovereignty. Caught in the crossfire with Deirdre is James, her wisecracking but loyal best friend. Deirdre had been wishing her life weren't so dull, but getting trapped in the middle of a centuries-old faerie war isn't exactly what she had in mind . . .

Lament is a dark faerie fantasy that features authentic Celtic faerie lore, plus cover art and interior illustrations by acclaimed faerie artist Julia Jeffrey.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:00 -0400)

On the day of an important music competition, talented but painfully introverted and nervous Deirdre Monaghan is helped to perform by the compelling and enigmatic Luke Dillon and finds herself inexorably drawn into the mysteries and dangers of the faerie world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,419,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible