Lament by Maggie Stiefvater
2009 (6) 2010 (5) ebook (13) fae (10) faerie (81) fairies (39) fantasy (128) fey (6) fiction (45) friendship (5) Kindle (11) love (6) maggie stiefvater (7) magic (9) music (32) paranormal (16) read (15) read in 2010 (8) romance (33) series (6) signed (6) supernatural (7) teen (13) to-read (49) unread (6) urban fantasy (19) wishlist (6) YA (73) young adult (79) young adult fiction (11)

I'm a new fan of Maggie Stiefvater and this only the second book of hers that I have read. Thus far, I really admire and enjoy her stories and her writing. "Lament" leaves me with a few questions and, I thought it was a little confusing at times. I'm still not quite sure of Dierdre's aunt's involvement, for example. And what of the school that is recruiting both James and Dierdre?

The romantic in me fell for Luke and Dee . . . hard. I think I'm somewhat jaded that they can't be together when the book comes to an end. Though, on the other hand, I'm very happy that Luke's soul is now free. Selfishly, I want his soul free and for him to be with Dee. So I feel slightly disappointed.

I'm hoping that "Ballad" will answer some of my lingering questions, and continue Dee and Luke's story, though it seems that the second book is more about James, who I like, but not as much as Luke! I'm looking forward to reading more and would like to give a 3.5-star-rating to the book but, since I have to give whole stars, I rounded up. :) ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
After having read Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls series first, I was expecting a bit more from her early work. The concept of this young adult novel was intriguing, but the execution was lacking. I was most bothered by the fact that people in Deirdre's life, including her best friend and snobby coworker, accept that she's being followed by Faeries without even blinking an eye. Also, I had trouble beliving the romance between Deirdre and Luke. There are ways to master believability, even in fantasy, but this wasn't it. I really really wanted to love it. ( )
  LauraT81 | Jun 5, 2014 |
More than a few years ago, I worked for a writing non-profit. I worked with teachers looking to teach better writing and write for themselves, and I also worked with a lot of young writers. At our young writers summer camp we had the pleasure of hosting Maggie Stiefvater to talk to them one evening (to this day I kick myself that I did not attend) … what does this have to do with a book review? Well I have had Lament sitting on my home bookshelf since then…since about 2009… (I know I am a huge slacker). For the month of May it was the book pulled from my TBR jar, so I finally read it. I am so happy that I did.

Lament is one of Stiefvater’s earlier books, the first in a series about faeries. I love books about faeries most of the time so I was hoping to love this one as well and I definitely did. Stiefvater produced a beautifully sad love story that made me want to keep reading – and that is what I did, I read this whole book in a matter of two sittings. The characters have growth and the plot is entertaining – sometimes a little frustrating, but very good overall. Deirdre the main character begins as shy and reserved and a bit of a loner and later falls head over heels for a mysterious boy she barely knows but who gives her confidence and the lift she needed to become a stronger person. Luke is…well… a swoon-worthy character, but also very funny to read.

I really enjoyed the love story but also the other faerie elements of the book. I think the only pet peeve I have about it was the lack of freaking out. I mean if you told me faeries were trying to take me and kill me, I am pretty positive I would freak out a LOT more than Deirdre does as she learns about everything…just saying… ( )
  sszkutak | Jun 2, 2014 |
It was good, and I want to read the sequel...but this book just didn't have much of an emotional impact for me. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
The Good: I wish I had picked this book up sooner. It is a really fun faerie read. The book is packed with faerie lore and Dee is an actually rational heroine. She seems to think things through and questions what's happening to her life. There was a bit of the cliched instalove going on here, as well as an love triangle that never convincingly got off the ground, but overall Dee managed herself well in these situations.

The Bad: The ending was sort of a twist, which is usually great. Except it was more confusing than anything else. Maybe it's needed for the next book, but it wasn't satisfying or exciting. ( )
  TequilaReader | Apr 24, 2014 |
Book One: You've left my heart shaken with a hopeless desolation, I'd have you to know It's the wonders of admiration your quiet face has taken and your beauty will haunt me wherever I go. - Bridgit O'Malley
Book Two: Now when we're out a-sailing and you are far behind fine letters will I write to you with the secrets of my mind, The secrets of my mind, my girl, you're the girl that I adore, And still I live in hope to see the Holy Ground once more. You're the girl that I adore, and still I live in hope to see the Holy Ground once more. - "The Holy Ground"
Book Three: I sat within a valley green, Sat there with my true love, And my fond heart strove to choose between the old love and the new love... While soft the wind blew down the glade and shook the golden barely. - "The Wind That Shakes the Barley"
Book Four: The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone - in the ranks of death you will find him. - "The Minstrel Boy"
Book Five: My love, fond and true, What else could I do - But shield you from wind and from weather? When the shots fall like hail, They us both shall assail - And mayhap we shall die together. - "Ned of the Hill"
To my dad, because he's like me,
and Ed, because he's not.
He didn't know how long he'd been clinging there.

Sixteen-year-old Dee is a cloverhand - someone who can see faeries. When she finds herself irresistibly drawn to beautiful, mysterious Luke, Dee senses that he wants something more dangerous than a summer romance.

But Dee doesn't realize that Luke is an assassin from the faerie world.

And she is his next target.

FROM THE AUTHOR OF THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING NOVEL SHIVER

Starred Review"Vibrant and potent, YA readers searching for faerie stories will be happy to find this accomplished debut novel."
Publishers Weekly
(starred review)

Starred Review"This beautiful and out-of-the-ordinary debut novel, with its authentic depiction of Celtic Faerie lore and dangerous forbidden love in a contemporary American setting, will appeal to readers of Nancy Werlin's Impossible and Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series."
Booklist
(starred review)

Starred Review"Part adventure, part fantasy, and wholly riveting love story, Lament will delight nearly all audiences with its skillful blend of magic and ordinary life."
KLIATT (starred review)

Sixteen-year-old Deirdre Monaghan is a painfully shy but prodigiously gifted musician. She's about to find out she's also a cloverhand—one who can see faeries. Deirdre finds herself infatuated with a mysterious boy who enters her ordinary suburban life, seemingly out of thin air. Trouble is, the enigmatic and gorgeous Luke turns out to be a gallowglass—a soulless faerie assassin. An equally hunky—and equally dangerous—dark faerie soldier named Aodhan is also stalking Deirdre. Sworn enemies, Luke and Aodhan each have a deadly assignment from the Faerie Queen. Namely, kill Deirdre before her music captures the attention of the Fae and threatens the Queen's sovereignty. Caught in the crossfire with Deirdre is James, her wisecracking but loyal best friend. Deirdre had been wishing her life weren't so dull, but getting trapped in the middle of a centuries-old faerie war isn't exactly what she had in mind . . .

Lament is a dark faerie fantasy that features authentic Celtic faerie lore, plus cover art and interior illustrations by acclaimed faerie artist Julia Jeffrey.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:51 -0400)

On the day of an important music competition, talented but painfully introverted and nervous Deirdre Monaghan is helped to perform by the compelling and enigmatic Luke Dillon and finds herself inexorably drawn into the mysteries and dangers of the faerie world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,498,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible