Lament by Maggie Stiefvater
1,080None7,712 (3.82)94
2009 (6) 2010 (5) ebook (13) fae (8) faerie (75) fairies (37) fantasy (124) fey (6) fiction (43) friendship (5) Kindle (11) love (6) maggie stiefvater (7) magic (8) music (30) paranormal (13) read (14) read in 2009 (5) read in 2010 (8) romance (30) series (6) supernatural (6) teen (12) teen fiction (5) to-read (42) unread (6) urban fantasy (17) YA (70) young adult (77) young adult fiction (10)

I LOVED THIS BOOK! From the very beginning I became hooked on the story of Deirdre and Luke. Stiefvater's true charm lies in her characterization and Lament was no exception. The characters were quirky and likeable and her use of Celtic Mythology beautifully woven into a tale that will truly transport you. I finished LAMENT and immediately downloaded [b:Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie|6076413|Ballad A Gathering of Faerie (Books of Faerie, #2)|Maggie Stiefvater|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1288028289s/6076413.jpg|6252991], which is probably the best compliment I could give. Buy it. Read it. Love it. ( )
  Stephanie_Keyes | Apr 3, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

I liked the series about the wolves and that was why I wanted to try this series as well. I had little to no knowledge about fairies and whatsoever but I thought; lets give it a try.

I was not really what I expected it to be. The love story was weak and not really imaginative, the story itself was not great either. I was quite disappointed reading it. For me, it was not as special as her other series, which I enjoyed. I wouldn't recommend this series, please try her other series! ( )
  Floratina | Jan 23, 2014 |
oooh I enjoyed this story. Based in celtic folklore this faerie story is dark and somewhat reminiscent of Melissa Marr's faerie tales. Our main characters Diedre and Luke are in an impossible situation. Terrible things happen, and strength comes from places unknown all the way to the heartbreaking end. There is a sequel but it is not about these two but about Diedre's best friend James. Well written, the book was engaging, the characters were well drawn (Aodhan will give you chills) and the plot kept you guessing. ( )
  mbklibrary | Aug 25, 2013 |
I think I enjoyed the style of this book more than I enjoyed the story (the story was fine, mind you, but the style was mesmerizing). ( )
  Melumebelle | Aug 8, 2013 |
I just loved this book. ( )
  CyndiGoodgame | Jul 31, 2013 |
Book One: You've left my heart shaken with a hopeless desolation, I'd have you to know It's the wonders of admiration your quiet face has taken and your beauty will haunt me wherever I go. - Bridgit O'Malley
Book Two: Now when we're out a-sailing and you are far behind fine letters will I write to you with the secrets of my mind, The secrets of my mind, my girl, you're the girl that I adore, And still I live in hope to see the Holy Ground once more. You're the girl that I adore, and still I live in hope to see the Holy Ground once more. - "The Holy Ground"
Book Three: I sat within a valley green, Sat there with my true love, And my fond heart strove to choose between the old love and the new love... While soft the wind blew down the glade and shook the golden barely. - "The Wind That Shakes the Barley"
Book Four: The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone - in the ranks of death you will find him. - "The Minstrel Boy"
Book Five: My love, fond and true, What else could I do - But shield you from wind and from weather? When the shots fall like hail, They us both shall assail - And mayhap we shall die together. - "Ned of the Hill"
To my dad, because he's like me,
and Ed, because he's not.
He didn't know how long he'd been clinging there.

Sixteen-year-old Dee is a cloverhand - someone who can see faeries. When she finds herself irresistibly drawn to beautiful, mysterious Luke, Dee senses that he wants something more dangerous than a summer romance.

But Dee doesn't realize that Luke is an assassin from the faerie world.

And she is his next target.

FROM THE AUTHOR OF THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING NOVEL SHIVER

Starred Review"Vibrant and potent, YA readers searching for faerie stories will be happy to find this accomplished debut novel."
Publishers Weekly
(starred review)

Starred Review"This beautiful and out-of-the-ordinary debut novel, with its authentic depiction of Celtic Faerie lore and dangerous forbidden love in a contemporary American setting, will appeal to readers of Nancy Werlin's Impossible and Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series."
Booklist
(starred review)

Starred Review"Part adventure, part fantasy, and wholly riveting love story, Lament will delight nearly all audiences with its skillful blend of magic and ordinary life."
KLIATT (starred review)

Sixteen-year-old Deirdre Monaghan is a painfully shy but prodigiously gifted musician. She's about to find out she's also a cloverhand—one who can see faeries. Deirdre finds herself infatuated with a mysterious boy who enters her ordinary suburban life, seemingly out of thin air. Trouble is, the enigmatic and gorgeous Luke turns out to be a gallowglass—a soulless faerie assassin. An equally hunky—and equally dangerous—dark faerie soldier named Aodhan is also stalking Deirdre. Sworn enemies, Luke and Aodhan each have a deadly assignment from the Faerie Queen. Namely, kill Deirdre before her music captures the attention of the Fae and threatens the Queen's sovereignty. Caught in the crossfire with Deirdre is James, her wisecracking but loyal best friend. Deirdre had been wishing her life weren't so dull, but getting trapped in the middle of a centuries-old faerie war isn't exactly what she had in mind . . .

Lament is a dark faerie fantasy that features authentic Celtic faerie lore, plus cover art and interior illustrations by acclaimed faerie artist Julia Jeffrey.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:51 -0400)

On the day of an important music competition, talented but painfully introverted and nervous Deirdre Monaghan is helped to perform by the compelling and enigmatic Luke Dillon and finds herself inexorably drawn into the mysteries and dangers of the faerie world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,471,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible