Fatally Flaky by Diane Mott Davidson

Fatally Flaky

by Diane Mott Davidson

Series: Goldy Bear (15)

A typical entry for this series. Entertaining, but somewhat predictable. Caterer Goldy gets involved in a murder mystery while catering weddings. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
This series features the amateur sleuth, Goldy Schulz, who solves mysteries while cooking. Oftentimes, she jump-starts her morning with double shots of espresso mixed with cream and poured over ice. My kind of breakfast! Goldy is basically a grownup Nancy Drew and I find these books are a nice counterpoint to the blood and gore that I love so much. I'm addicted! ( )
  kbmom | Jan 16, 2016 |
You'd think Goldy would have learned by now not to take risks. But she continues to charge in to danger and fortunately seems to get out in the nick of time. I liked the style of this novel because the reader gets to look at the clues Goldy has to go on and try to figure them out along with her. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Aug 2, 2015 |
I have a book club friend who always brings in a small stack of audio books to swap. As I've just gotten into listening to audios and I tend to like what he reads, I grabbed Fatally Flaky, book 15 of the Goldy Schulz catering series, by Diane Mott Davidson. Fortunately the Goldy books seem to stand alone just fine and I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything by starting so late in the series.

Fatally Flaky opens with Goldy trying to juggle weddings in one weekend. She has the wedding of a single mother who doesn't want her estranged father crashing the ceremony and then she has Bridezilla, a mid thirties brat who has changed everything more times than Goldy cares to count, including the date (and now the venue!) of her wedding.

The weddings, though, are the least of her problems. Two men, near and dear to Goldy die within days of each other. I gather from reading other reviews, Goldy's depression in this volume is a departure from a more typical lighter tone expected from a cozy mystery. Being new to the series, though, I didn't notice the change and I completely felt for Goldy and could appreciate her stupid maneuvers, decisions made in the throws of grief.

Barbara Rosenblat does a wonderful job of bringing Goldy and the other characters to life. I think listening to her performance of the book is what bumped the book up from four to five stars for me. I have decided to go back and listen to as many of the earlier books as I can. ( )
  pussreboots | Nov 18, 2014 |
It's been a long, rainy summer for Goldy Schulz, who is engaged in planning wedding receptions for what seems to be all of Aspen Meadow. It's bad enough that Billie Attenborough, the bride from hell, wants to move the location to the Gold Gulch Spa just a scant two days before tying the knot to her doctor fiancé. Then Doc Finn, best friend of Goldy's godfather Jack, is killed when his car tumbles into a ravine. But Jack thinks Doc murdered because of research he was doing at the spa - allegations that are confirmed when Jack himself is attacked. So Goldy dons chef's whites and goes undercover at the spa. Add in the obstreperous owner, who years ago tried to sabotage Goldy's fledgling business, and she's got her hands full. Above all, there seems to be a clever killer on the spa grounds, watching her every move. After what befell Jack, Goldy knows that she might be next. ( )
  jepeters333 | Feb 5, 2014 |

Diane Mott Davidsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Life does not cease to be funny when people die
any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh.

--George Bernard Shaw
To Carolyn Marino

with deep gratitude for excellent editing
and for possessing a kind heart and a light touch
Cynics say getting married is a death wish.

Colorado caterer Goldy Schulz encounters bridezilla--and murder--when bridezilla's fiance is killed because he was doing research at the Gold Gulch Spa--an allegation that's confirmed when the deceased's best friend (Goldy's godfather) is attacked.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,044,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible