To know as we are known : education as a…

To know as we are known : education as a spiritual journey (edition 1993)

by Parker J. Palmer

Member:Christa_Josh
Title:To know as we are known : education as a spiritual journey
Authors:Parker J. Palmer
Info:[San Francisco] : HarperSanFrancisco, 1993.
Collections:Books
Tags:Education--Philosophy, Spiritual life

To Know as We Are Known: Education as a Spiritual Journey by Parker J. Palmer

Explores how heart and mind can work together in the learning process.
  PendleHillLibrary | Mar 6, 2018 |
Explores how mind and heart can work together in the learning process.
  PendleHillLibrary | Mar 6, 2018 |
The way in which we know things—our epistemology—matters. If we view the world objectively, as an object to be categorized and filed, we do damage both to the world and to ourselves. True knowing "requires the knower to become interdependent with the known" (32).

Parker Palmer, author and educator, develops his philosophy of teaching in To Know As We Are Known.

"To teach is to create a space in which the community of truth is practiced" (xii).

Teaching has to be more than the passing down of objective facts. Genuine teaching brings learners into a community where they interrelate in faithfulness to the subject. Palmer even offers some practical advice for teachers to transition in this direction.

Stories are important for Palmer. A film about the nuclear weapons program, the account of a desert father, and the confrontation between Jesus and Pilate are all illustrative fuel that Palmer uses to flesh out his ideas.

To Know As We Are Known is an important book for both teachers and students that challenges the epistemology of the Enlightenment. ( )
  StephenBarkley | Jan 7, 2017 |
Just started. I have a feeling that all journeys are spiritual... ( )
  Breathwork | Apr 7, 2013 |
Interesting but not worth it to read.
  Hanuman2 | Dec 16, 2007 |

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:58 -0400)

This primer on authentic education explores how mind and heart can work together in the learning process. Moving beyond the bankruptcy of our current model of education, Parker Palmer finds the soul of education through a lifelong cultivation of the wisdom each of us possesses and can share to benefit others.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,532,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible