Traction Man Meets Turbodog by Mini Grey

Traction Man Meets Turbodog

by Mini Grey

Traction Man, the action figure extraordinaire who first appeared in Mini Grey's Traction Man Is Here!, returns in this, his second adventure, gaining (as the title suggests) a new companion. Still his little boy's favored plaything, Traction Man continues to explore new worlds - including the back yard's "Mt. Compost Heap", with its ancient (Yoda-like) Potato Guide, and its ring of Mystic Shrooms - with his beloved companion Scrubbing Brush beside him all the way. Then the boy's father, deciding that Scrubbing Brush is "unhygienic," replaces him with the battery-powered, blue plastic Turbo Dog. But can the technologically advanced canine keep up, in the rough and tumble world of Traction Man (and his boy's) imaginary play...?

With the same engaging storytelling, and colorful artwork as its predecessor, Traction Man Meets Turbo Dog is an entertaining read! The idea - implicit in both of these stories - that imagination can transform any location, be it compost heap or sandbox, into the perfect environment for adventure, is very appealing. So too are the non-traditional gender roles apparent here, with the boy's father being a care-giver - there is a copy of a book entitled "Man About the House" in one of the scenes - and his sister obsessed with woodworking. I'm grateful that the first Traction Man title was chosen as one of our December selections, over in The Picture-Book Club to which I belong, where our theme this month is "toys," as I don't think I'd have picked these books up, otherwise. Now I'm looking forward to the forthcoming Traction Man and the Beach Odyssey! ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 22, 2013 |
This book was mildly entertaining although quite creative. The unlikely action hero and sidekick was amusing, but to a non-comic book reader, such as myself, it was not the most enjoyable. However, I do think that it would be a great book to read to kids who like comic books so that they can create their own. It would also be another great way to get kids reading! This book deals with loyalty and friendship.
  Wakana | Jan 14, 2013 |
An adventure that would keep even the most conservative adult on the edge of their seats! Honestly just a super fun story to read to your children. the pictures are great, the comedy is great, and the presentation is great. I loved how it almost felt like I was reading a comic book, and really makes you think twice about the movie Toy Story...for this book is kind of like an offshoot of the toy story premise, except this gives a little lesson in hygiene! If I could give it 6 stars I would...perhaps a "girly-girl" child wouldn't like it as much ( I say that because I don't htink my daughter would like it and she'sa girly girl). ( )
  Meerkat4 | Apr 19, 2012 |
Traction Man, a boy's courageous action figure, has a variety of adventures with Scrubbing Brush and other objects in the house.
  patinoc2 | Apr 15, 2012 |
A super hero figure Traction Man meets a robot dog that seems to mess things up during the adventures. Traction man and his pet scrubbing brush have to try to keep turbo dog in line to world that he is not accustomed to. A comic book type adventure that is fun for anyone to read.
  EddieBKim | Nov 30, 2011 |

THAT SQUARE-JAWED CAN-DO action toy, Traction Man, is back in another hilarious adventure. The little boy, Traction Man, and his brave pet, Scrubbing Brush, are inseparable—until the boy’s father throws the “unhygenic” Scrubbing Brush in the trash and replaces it with a “real” toy, the battery-operated TurboDog. It bleeps, speaks, and squeaks—but is not very smart. So Traction Man, wearing his airtight Astro-suit and armed with a bottle of SuperStrong Germo, enters the trash bin and rescues Scrubbing Brush from the Evil Bin Things (pizza crusts, spaghetti, and potato peels with eyes and mouths that hiss “Stay with us”). The Battle of the Bin is not to be missed—nor is the ignominious demise of TurboDog! With this satisfying sequel, Mini Grey has scored another smashing victory for imaginative play.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:43 -0400)

Traction Man, an action figure, teams up with the high-tech but not-so-bright Turbodog to rescue Scrubbing Brush, his missing sidekick, from the terrible underworld of the bin.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,442,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible