Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Asterix the Gaul by René Goscinny

Asterix the Gaul (1961)

by René Goscinny, Albert Uderzo (Illustrator)

Series: Astérix (1)

Feminax und Walkürax by Franziska Becker (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Das Original und eine feministische Parodie

English (18)  French (4)  Danish (2)  Dutch (2)  All languages (26)
A fun, rollicking read about the adventures of the last village of Gauls holding out against the Roman conquerors in 50 BC. The scenes where Asterix has joined Getafix being held hostage by the Romans is one of the funniest in the book.
A great start to the adventures of Asterix and Obelix. ( )
  DeborahJade | Dec 25, 2017 |
Asterix, Book 1
  PBtini | May 30, 2017 |
Okay, I'm not sure if I'm 'too grown up' for enjoying Asterix series but I didn't like the humours much. The plot was very linear and the storyline lacks complexity. All the villains are made too naive and downgraded in terms of their intelligence. The protagonists can subdue them very easily with their 'superior' intellect. At times things became too trivial. It basically occurred to me as an alternate world created from a hardcore French (or more accurately Gaulish) nationalist view where the Romans are bashed and belittled every now and then. Almost all the activities of the protagonists are meant to instil the 'belief' into reader's mind that 'Romans are mentally retarded and Gauls are the big brains'. This is a classic series and everyone talks about it. I am feeling kind of guilty rather that I failed to enjoy Asterix the Gaul but then again, this is only the first instalment of a 33 issue long Asterix series. I intend to read all the adventures of Asterix and Obelix so, I'm hopeful.

I liked the time frame (during the reign of Julius Caesar) where the characters belong to. The drawing is absolutely splendid, and perhaps too good for such a storyline. All the 3 stars for the illustrations! ( )
  Shaker07 | May 18, 2017 |
I read a French language version of this book about 40 years ago, in French class, and loved it although I did not understand all the puns and jokes.

Now, having read it in English (my native language), I have to say there's a lot more I enjoyed. The artwork is fantastic, the word-play and puns are superb. A keeper, and recommended. ( )
  fuzzi | Nov 15, 2016 |
This is the first book about Astérix and his fellow Gauls in Armorica (current day Brittany) which sets up the premise of the series and we get to know the main characters of the village (and they are characters in all aspects of that word!). In this in stallment, the Romans in the garrison closest to the village find out that their invincibility comes from a magic potion, and so kidnap Getafix, the druid, to find out the recipe. Naturally, the Gauls trick the Romans and make them look ridiculous (a story line that will be repeated throughout the series) and go home and have a banquet (with boars and wine, but no singing!). Such a great series that I have loved since I read it as a child and still love upon rereading. ( )
  -Eva- | Jan 14, 2016 |
Cafodd ein meibion eu magu ar Asterix. Roedd enwau Obelix ac Odlgymix, Crycymalix ac Einharweinix mor gyfarwydd iddyn nhw â Siôn Blewyn Coch a Barti Ddu, Mr Picton a Dai Tecsas. Roedd hiwmor y straeon stribed Ffrengig yma’n ogleisiol o ddoniol, yn fyrlymus o wreiddiol. Dim ond i rywun gladdu’i ben rhwng dau glawr, fyddai hi fawr o dro cyn i chwerthiniad direidus ddianc o blith y dalennau. Does ryfedd fod ein cyfrolau wedi treulio – rhoesant flynyddoedd o fwynhad i ni fel teulu.

Digri, lliwgar, a Chymreig. Gyda’n cefndir cyffredin Celtaidd, yn cael ein goresgyn gan ‘y Rhufeiniaid gwallgo ’ma!’, roedd rhywbeth naturiol mewn trosi helyntion ein lled-gefndryd Galaidd, gyda’u derwydd a’u bardd yn gymeriadau stoc, i’n hiaith a’n diwylliant ni. Daeth saith cyfrol hardd o Wasg y Dref Wen i ddwylo’r plant, ac yna – ‘myn Twtatis!’– sychodd y ffrwd. Yn ofer y chwiliais am Asterix a Cleopatra, yr unig un nad oedd gennym, yn y siopau llyfrau.

Yna, eleni, daeth y newyddion fod Asterix yn ailymddangos. Gwych, meddwn. [...]
added by Cynfelyn | editBarn, Ann Gruffydd Rhys (Oct 1, 2012)

Goscinny, RenéAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sztuczyńska, JolantaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walli, OutiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Information from the Welsh Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Y flwyddyn yw 50 cyn Crist. Mae Gâl i gyd yn nwylo'r Rhufeiniaid ... I gyd? Nage! Erys o hyd un pentref Galiaid anorchfygol sy'n llwyddo i ddal eu tir yn erbyn yr imperialwyr. Ac nid yw bywyd yn hawdd i'r llengfilwyr Rhufeinig sy'n gorfod gwarchod gwersylloedd milwrol Bagiatrum, Ariola, Cloclarum a Bolatenae ...
[Dim]
Im Jahre 50 v. Chr. waren die Gallier nach langem Kampf von den Römern besiegt worden...

When Roman Centurion Crismus Bonus finds out about Getafix’s magic potion, he kidnaps the druid to force him to reveal the recipe. So Asterix joins his friend in captivity and together they two plan to whip up a surprise with truly hair-raising effects.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:17 -0400)

Comic format. 8 yrs+

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,526,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible