11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass

11 Birthdays

by Wendy Mass

I read this book today, in one sitting. Even though it's basically a children's book, I still like the ideas behind it. It's almost exactly like the movie groundhog day, just a kids version. It's a sweet story, and it was definitely a nice read. ( )
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
Super sweet story. I thought she captured the age pretty well, except you never would have caught my friends and I dancing in a public setting when we were 11. But I appreciated that there was no romance or even hints in that direction. She also handled the concept in a original way. It would make a good read-aloud to an elementary class, maybe even middle school. ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |
Not going to lie, Groundhog Day is my dream-come-true, so this was an enjoyable story for me. I just love the concept. The protags are a bit dense, but that's to be expected from 11 year olds. ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 25, 2017 |
It's Amanda's 11th birthday and she is super excited-after all, 11 is so different from 10. But from the start, everything goes wrong. The worst part of it all is that she and her best friend, Leo, who has the same birthday, are on the outs, and this will be the first birthday they haven't celebrated together. When Amanda turns in for the night, glad to have her unhappy birthday behind her, she wakes up happy for a new day. Or is it? Her birthday seems to be repeating itself. Can she fix it? Only with time, friendship, and a little luck. ( )
  LynneQuan | Sep 20, 2017 |
A young girl is named Amanda after her Great-Grandmother and a boy is named Leo after his Great- Grandfather. They are born on the same day in the same hospital. Their parents meet and they grow up in the same town and celebrate each birthday together, excepting their 10th, when they have a sad misunderstanding. Now it’s time for their 11th birthday and each is planning a separate party. Neither child is happy. Special circumstances occur so the day is repeated over and over again, until their family secret is revealed and brings back harmony.
This is a great book for children to find and discuss cause and effect and how conflicts take time and understanding to resolve. Literature circles and finding clues with text evidence would help students sort and track the details of each birthday incarnation.
Many students I know just loved the idea of repeating the birthday till the problem was righted. They can’t wait to read the next book in the series – Twelve Finally. 11 Birthdays was great 5th grade BOB selection this year! ( )
  ellenzfergus | Apr 11, 2017 |
The oddest thing about Angelina D'Angelo was that no one could remember a time when she didn't live in Willow Falls. The oldest man in town, Bucky Whitehead, swears Angelina was an old lady when HE was a boy. But, when questioned, Angelina just smiled.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0545052408, Mass Market Paperback)

This hilarious novel from award-winning author Wendy Mass is now available in paperback!

It's Amanda's 11th birthday and she is super excited---after all, 11 is so different from 10. But from the start, everything goes wrong. The worst part of it all is that she and her best friend, Leo, with whom she's shared every birthday, are on the outs and this will be the first birthday they haven't shared together. When Amanda turns in for the night, glad to have her birthday behind her, she wakes up happy for a new day. Or is it? Her birthday seems to be repeating iself. What is going on?! And how can she fix it? Only time, friendship, and a little luck will tell. . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

Amanda and Leo, best friends with the same birthday, had a falling out on their tenth birthday and have not spoken since, but peculiar things begin to happen as the day of their eleventh birthday repeats itself again and again.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,732,466 books! | Top bar: Always visible