11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass

11 Birthdays (edition 2009)

by Wendy Mass

Rating:****1/2

11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass

(3.7)
  mshampson | Nov 17, 2014 |
This book is about a girl named Amanda and a boy named Leo. When they were growing up they had their birthdays together every year. One year Leo and his friends were talking and his friends asked him why he was friends with a girl and he told them that they had their birthdays together so he didn't want Amanda to be mad, Plus she doesn't have many friends. When her mom came home Amanda was outside crying on the front door step. When Leo's mom told Leo what happened he was embarrassed. In the middle of the book they both keep repeating their birthdays over and over and over again, but they didn't know that it was happening to both of them. It was the enchantment that Amanda's great-grandfather had on him and Leo's great-grandfather had on him; they died and the curse went on to Amanda and Leo when they stopped being friends.Then the very next day they meet each other right in front of the school and decide on a plan on why this is happening to them.At the end of the book they finally stop having their birthdays over and over and over again when it finally turns Saturday. Then they are friends again because the curse is over for now unless they don't have the apple seeds then the cycle starts all over again.

I thought this book was great because it had a lot of adventure in it. They had to work together a lot. The plot was very unusual. I didn't know how it was going to end that's why I kept reading it. I liked how the author keeps writing; in every book she wrote there are different characters, not the same ones. It was really exciting because there were some words I didn't now and I solved it. The characters had some hard times but they solved their problems together. ( )
  ChloeB.G1 | Sep 27, 2014 |
This YRCA winner was a fun ground hog day sort of experience. She has a lesson to learn and certain items to collect. Until she does she is stuck on the same day! This was a lot of fun to read. It went fast and I can see the appeal. My 10 year old swiped it out of my hands within minutes of my finishing it! It has that "must collect them all" hook that should keep kids reading until each of the objects are found and assembled.
  bdemontigny | Mar 11, 2014 |
This was a cute story in the living-a-day-over-and-over genre. Amanda is stuck in her 11th birthday, and she can't figure out why. Does her fight with her former best friend and birthday-sharer Leo have anything to do with it? I would like to continue with this series, though I hope they all aren't the same premise of living one day over and over. The narrator was pretty good too, so listening to the series could be an option. ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |
First off, I started reading this without knowing that the birthday in question - June 5th - is actually my own birthday, and that may have predisposed me a little bit towards liking this book, but I didn't really need any extra incentive: It was a thoroughly charming, light read that I'd recommend for most 9-12 year olds.

Point A) There's nothing gender-y about this book: Although I personally don't think there's such a thing as 'boy books' and 'girl books' you do sometimes come up against kids who are dead set against reading anything they identify as belonging to the other team. It's a fight I'm not going to stop fighting, but in the case of this book, there's no need to fight it - having both male and female main characters, both of whom are fleshed out pretty well (even if we get more of the female MC POV) is a strong selling point.

Point B) The Groundhog Day on your birthday is a plot that every kid will be able to appreciate: there's nobody who doesn't fantasize about having their day, over and over again. Or reliving a bad day that was supposed to be good until it comes out the right way.

Point C) It's funny. Not hilarious, but witty little moments here and there that show that Wendy Mass gets how kids think and how friendships really work, that there's jealousy and joy all mixed in and muddled together.

Point D) It's the first in a trilogy, which is always a selling point for me. I love to revisit good characters, see how they're doing. ( )
  NTE | Sep 20, 2013 |
The oddest thing about Angelina D'Angelo was that no one could remember a time when she didn't live in Willow Falls. The oldest man in town, Bucky Whitehead, swears Angelina was an old lady when HE was a boy. But, when questioned, Angelina just smiled.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0545052408, Mass Market Paperback)

This hilarious novel from award-winning author Wendy Mass is now available in paperback!

It's Amanda's 11th birthday and she is super excited---after all, 11 is so different from 10. But from the start, everything goes wrong. The worst part of it all is that she and her best friend, Leo, with whom she's shared every birthday, are on the outs and this will be the first birthday they haven't shared together. When Amanda turns in for the night, glad to have her birthday behind her, she wakes up happy for a new day. Or is it? Her birthday seems to be repeating iself. What is going on?! And how can she fix it? Only time, friendship, and a little luck will tell. . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:03 -0400)

Amanda and Leo, best friends with the same birthday, had a falling out on their tenth birthday and have not spoken since, but peculiar things begin to happen as the day of their eleventh birthday repeats itself again and again.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,054,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible