11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass

11 Birthdays (edition 2009)

by Wendy Mass

Member:ajkopperud
Title:11 Birthdays
Authors:Wendy Mass
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2010), Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:****1/2

11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass

Fairly well-done 'tween adaptation of the concept also seen in the movie "Groundhog Day." Addresses issues of friendship and growing up. I do wish the characters had been a little more complex, richer - more real to me. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Very fun fiction story, especially for 5th grade girls! I enjoyed the "Groundhog Day" aspect to Amanda and Leo having to relive their 11th birthday over and over. A great friendship story. ( )
  amrahmn | Jan 26, 2015 |
(3.7)
  mshampson | Nov 17, 2014 |
This book is about a girl named Amanda and a boy named Leo. When they were growing up they had their birthdays together every year. One year Leo and his friends were talking and his friends asked him why he was friends with a girl and he told them that they had their birthdays together so he didn't want Amanda to be mad, Plus she doesn't have many friends. When her mom came home Amanda was outside crying on the front door step. When Leo's mom told Leo what happened he was embarrassed. In the middle of the book they both keep repeating their birthdays over and over and over again, but they didn't know that it was happening to both of them. It was the enchantment that Amanda's great-grandfather had on him and Leo's great-grandfather had on him; they died and the curse went on to Amanda and Leo when they stopped being friends.Then the very next day they meet each other right in front of the school and decide on a plan on why this is happening to them.At the end of the book they finally stop having their birthdays over and over and over again when it finally turns Saturday. Then they are friends again because the curse is over for now unless they don't have the apple seeds then the cycle starts all over again.

I thought this book was great because it had a lot of adventure in it. They had to work together a lot. The plot was very unusual. I didn't know how it was going to end that's why I kept reading it. I liked how the author keeps writing; in every book she wrote there are different characters, not the same ones. It was really exciting because there were some words I didn't now and I solved it. The characters had some hard times but they solved their problems together. ( )
  ChloeB.G1 | Sep 27, 2014 |
This YRCA winner was a fun ground hog day sort of experience. She has a lesson to learn and certain items to collect. Until she does she is stuck on the same day! This was a lot of fun to read. It went fast and I can see the appeal. My 10 year old swiped it out of my hands within minutes of my finishing it! It has that "must collect them all" hook that should keep kids reading until each of the objects are found and assembled.
  bdemontigny | Mar 11, 2014 |
The oddest thing about Angelina D'Angelo was that no one could remember a time when she didn't live in Willow Falls. The oldest man in town, Bucky Whitehead, swears Angelina was an old lady when HE was a boy. But, when questioned, Angelina just smiled.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0545052408, Mass Market Paperback)

This hilarious novel from award-winning author Wendy Mass is now available in paperback!

It's Amanda's 11th birthday and she is super excited---after all, 11 is so different from 10. But from the start, everything goes wrong. The worst part of it all is that she and her best friend, Leo, with whom she's shared every birthday, are on the outs and this will be the first birthday they haven't shared together. When Amanda turns in for the night, glad to have her birthday behind her, she wakes up happy for a new day. Or is it? Her birthday seems to be repeating iself. What is going on?! And how can she fix it? Only time, friendship, and a little luck will tell. . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

Amanda and Leo, best friends with the same birthday, had a falling out on their tenth birthday and have not spoken since, but peculiar things begin to happen as the day of their eleventh birthday repeats itself again and again.

24 wanted1 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,933,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible