The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

The Corrections (2001)

by Jonathan Franzen

Empire Falls by Richard Russo (Othemts)
    The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas (ominogue)
    A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon (fyrefly98)
    Rabbit Angstrom: A Tetrology by John Updike (starbox)
    The Body of Jonah Boyd: A Novel by David Leavitt (Anonymous user)
    The Beast in the Jungle by Henry James (WSB7)
    WSB7: Similar central theme, but taken up a notch.
    Cronus' Children by Yves Navarre (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: A similar framework--rigid paterfamilias, compliant wife, troubled adult children who are loth to return to the family home. And an interesting contrast, because Navarre's tone, approach, and attitude are altogether unlike Franzen's.
    The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem (Othemts)
    Seven Types of Ambiguity by Elliot Perlman (MsRoux)
    MsRoux: Complex and rewarding
    A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan (ominogue)

English (237)  Dutch (6)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (253)
In The Corrections, we meet the Lamberts, quite possibly the most dysfunctional nuclear family ever portrayed in modern literature. Told in flashbacks and present-day episodes, the story centers on the highly repressed relationships that the parents (Alfred and Enid) have with one another as well as with each of their three grown children (Gary, Chip, and Denise). The kids, who have abandoned their Midwestern upbringing for varying degrees of professional success on the East coast, are simply a mess at handing virtually any of their personal relationships, most notably those with their rapidly aging (and declining) parents. Nevertheless, it is Enid’s wish to have the family reassemble at home in St. Jude, Kansas for one last Christmas together, which is not something that anyone but her really wants. Can anything positive—in fact, anything other than the same hurt feelings, misunderstandings, recriminations, and petty jealousies that have marked the last four decades of the Lamberts’ shared existence—possibly come from this scheme?

It has been quite a while since I have felt as conflicted in my opinion about a novel as I am with this one. Indeed, after absorbing just about 100 pages of this sprawling work, the term cognitive dissonance started reverberating in my head and that thought never really disappeared as I read on through to the book’s conclusion. To be sure, I found both Franzen’s intricate plotting of the multi-layered tale and his writing style to be superbly crafted. The author clearly has a great understanding of the myriad ways in which people can mess up in making connections with each other and he was able to convey his thoughts in a compelling way and, at times, with a devastating sense of humor. Further, I also knew before I began reading the novel that it had won the National Book Award, among many other honors, and thus had been “pre-blessed” by far more insightful critics than me.

So why then didn’t I enjoy The Corrections more than I actually did? The answer, I think, ends up being pretty simple: I just wasn’t all that moved by most aspects of the story. In fact, when not on the verge of being repelled by some of the Lambert clan’s actions, I found it hard to muster much empathy for any of the main characters. I suspect that Franzen drew each of his protagonists in a way that supported his larger purpose of producing an all-encompassing social critique of American life at the end of the last century. However, without the ability for the reader—this reader, anyway—to link personally with any of the family members, that literary device quickly became a very blunt tool. Additionally, absent that empathetic buy-in, it was difficult for me accept the plausibility of some important plot points (e.g., the entire way that Alfred and Enid dealt with health issues, Gary’s emotional blackmail at the hands of his own family, Denise’s dalliances with her employers, Chip’s Lithuanian business dealings). Consequently, while this book ultimately does reward the effort it takes to consume it, it is not one that I can recommend without some reservations. ( )
  browner56 | Dec 17, 2014 |
This is a great and funny novel of terribly dysfunctional family dynamics. It is vivid and colourful, the writing just delights in the crossed purpose conversations and misunderstandings between the main characters. At times the plot is ludicrous (the Lithuania subplot especially) but it just adds to the sense of fun. All of the family are pretty awful, and to some extent caricatures, but it has so much to say both about how people relate to each other, and about the state of American society at the turn of the century. The book group I discussed it at was pretty divided, and I can understand why the book might annoy, but to me it was great. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Dec 14, 2014 |
Although subject matter is depressing, this was a really good and entertaining book. So well written. ( )
  annwieland | Oct 27, 2014 |
A quit dysfunctional family with members that love/hate each other. Throughout the book your sad to leave them, cause it feels like your family.
  MartinaHogberg | Sep 14, 2014 |
Normally when I start writing a review, I at least know if I enjoyed the book. The Corrections has me bemused however, as I think I enjoyed it, whilst taking a dislike to how Jonathan Franzen mischievously described the families emerging problems in a way that constantly makes you think: "Is this happening in my family?" "I think I'm ok, but now I've read this, I might need to get my head examined, just in case...". And so on.

Bear with the slow start, would be my advice, as I found it worth the long read. ( )
1 vote scodenton | Jul 24, 2014 |
Franzen’s brilliant achievement is that he creates a set of stereotypical characters and then opens the door and allows us see, in suspenseful, humorous, mesmerizing detail, their defining moments. What was once a silhouette becomes three-dimensional. The complexity becomes a dim mirror of our own complex interiority—writ large, the way we like it writ, because then we can’t help but see ourselves in it.

Hvis du skal ta med deg en eneste roman på sommerferie, bør det bli Jonathan Franzens "Korrigeringer". Du kan ikke gjøre noe bedre kjøp akkurat nå. Men romanen gjør deg ikke dermed til en lykkelig konsument, mener Tom Egil Hverven.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Tom Egil Hverven (Jun 24, 2002)

Franzen, Jonathanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lameris, MarianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, CajTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pareschi, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David Means and Geneve Patterson
The madness of an autumn prairie cold front coming through.
The human species was given dominion over the earth and took the opportunity to exterminate other species and warm the atmosphere and generally ruin things in its own image, but it paid the price for the privileges: that the finite and specific animal body of this species contained a brain capable of conceiving the infinite and wishing to be infinite itself.

The Corrections is a 2001 novel by American author Jonathan Franzen. It revolves around the troubles of an elderly Midwestern couple and their three adult children, tracing their lives from the mid-twentieth century to "one last Christmas" together near the turn of the millennium.
You're soldiering on . . . ?
It might become interesting . . . ?
It doesn't. Trust me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312421273, Paperback)

Jonathan Franzen's exhilarating novel The Corrections tells a spellbinding story with sexy comic brio, and evokes a quirky family akin to Anne Tyler's, only bitter. Franzen's great at describing Christmas homecomings gone awry, cruise-ship follies, self-deluded academics, breast-obsessed screenwriters, stodgy old farts and edgy Tribeca bohemians equally at sea in their lives, and the mad, bad, dangerous worlds of the Internet boom and the fissioning post-Soviet East.

All five members of the Lambert family get their due, as everybody's lives swirl out of control. Paterfamilias Alfred is slipping into dementia, even as one of his inventions inspires a pharmaceutical giant to revolutionize treatment of his disease. His stubborn wife, Enid, specializes in denial; so do their kids, each in an idiosyncratic way. Their hepcat son, Chip, lost a college sinecure by seducing a student, and his new career as a screenwriter is in peril. Chip's sister, Denise, is a chic chef perpetually in hot water, romantically speaking; banker brother Gary wonders if his stifling marriage is driving him nuts. We inhabit these troubled minds in turn, sinking into sorrow punctuated by laughter, reveling in Franzen's satirical eye:

Gary in recent years had observed, with plate tectonically cumulative anxiety, that population was continuing to flow out of the Midwest and toward the cooler coasts.... Gary wished that all further migration [could] be banned and all Midwesterners encouraged to revert to eating pasty foods and wearing dowdy clothes and playing board games, in order that a strategic national reserve of cluelessness might be maintained, a wilderness of taste which would enable people of privilege, like himself, to feel extremely civilized in perpetuity.
Franzen is funny and on the money. This book puts him on the literary map. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:56 -0400)

After almost fifty years as a wife and mother, Enid Lambert is ready to have some fun. Unfortunately, her husband, Alfred, is losing his sanity to Parkinson's disease, and their children have flown the family nest to live their own lives. Desperate for some pleasure, Enid has set her heart on bringing her family together for one last Christmas at home.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,369,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible