The Corrections: A Novel by Jonathan Franzen

The Corrections: A Novel (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Jonathan Franzen

Member:kikireader
Title:The Corrections: A Novel
Authors:Jonathan Franzen
Info:Picador (2002), Paperback, 576 pages
Tags:own, unread

The Corrections: A Novel by Jonathan Franzen (Author) (2001)

Recently added byckadams5, soraxtm, private library, hernameisbrennan, omarin, Floyd3345, Avasara, x_hoxha
    Empire Falls by Richard Russo (Othemts)
    A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon (fyrefly98)
    The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas (ominogue)
    Rabbit Angstrom: A Tetralogy by John Updike (starbox)
    Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner (charlie68)
    charlie68: Touches on a lot of the same themes just in a different era.
    The Nix by Nathan Hill (zhejw)
    The Body of Jonah Boyd: A Novel by David Leavitt (Anonymous user)
    Middlesex: A Novel by Jeffrey Eugenides (sturlington)
    Cronus' Children by Yves Navarre (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: A similar cast of characters--rigid paterfamilias, compliant wife, troubled adult children who are loth to return to the family home. And an interesting contrast, because Navarre's tone, approach, and attitude are altogether unlike Franzen's.
    Seven Types of Ambiguity by Elliot Perlman (MsRoux)
    MsRoux: Complex and rewarding
    The Beast in the Jungle by Henry James (WSB7)
    WSB7: Similar central theme, but taken up a notch.
    A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan (ominogue)
    The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem (Othemts)
My TBR (80)

English (287)  Dutch (7)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Hebrew (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (309)
A commendable book. Sad, funny and enticing all at the same time. I recommend reading. ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
I don't have the same worldview as Jonathan Franzen, but I am hard-pressed to find any author who writes as well about relationships and families and personalities as well as he does. I couldn't put this book down. I read 600 pages in a week, which is a lot more than I've been reading in a long while.

It doesn't surprise me to find out that Noah Baumbach wanted to adapt this book for TV. I feel like this falls right in with mumblecore stuff I've watched like Frances Ha and Transparent. It's stories about white affluent people, and their relationship to the contemporary world, and their family dramas. It's deeply dark and cynical. It tries to act like any left-wing desires white liberals have are frivolous and hypocritical (although the most loathsome character, Gary, is definitely no liberal). It tries to be post-political, or above politics. So although this book is does not appeal to me on a political level, it's so well-executed that I have to admit that it's really, really good, mainly because of the masterful way it accesses humanity. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
Up to now I didn't read it because I thought it would be too depressing, but all the 5 star ratings and raves swayed me. Bad move. The comic undertone wasn't enough to balance out the dementia story-line for me. I should have quit, but it read so fast and was so well written that I couldn't jump ship. When I finished it last night I had to chase it with a couple of chapters of another book to keep it out of my dreams. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
It has been a long time since I've read anything like this. I mostly avoid contemporary literature (except for the kind with spells and spaceships, and that is [let's be honest] mostly not literature) so The Corrections came like a blow to the face.

My mother is Enid. No she isn't, but Franzen's characterization of Enid made me think of my mother in the same light. The others didn't have so much personal resonance for me, but they fit into the world so well - even when Chip made a [a:Couplandesque|1886|Douglas Coupland|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1264509011p2/1886.jpg] there-and-back-again jaunt to Eastern Europe it seemed completely legitimate and fair.

I am wary of hype, I hate to be led to thinking highly of an author only to find more pretentious critic-bait. Franzen may be pretentious, but his bait works for me. The book is a parade of pathetic life-choices and cringey situations and downright depressing realities of day to day living and, not just growing up, but aging; by the end of the book all of this is somehow uplifting.

Mr. Franzen, I will drink some more of your kool-aid. ( )
1 vote ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I made a second attempt at reading this book since two friends have loved it. I managed to get to around page 350 this time before I couldn't take anymore of Franzen's characters' internal incessant babbling. Blah, blah, blah of thoroughly boring, unlikable middle class Americans. Admittedly the author was often insightful, but I just didn't care about the angst of these characters. I have better things to do with my time. ( )
  amaraki | Jan 2, 2019 |
Franzen’s brilliant achievement is that he creates a set of stereotypical characters and then opens the door and allows us see, in suspenseful, humorous, mesmerizing detail, their defining moments. What was once a silhouette becomes three-dimensional. The complexity becomes a dim mirror of our own complex interiority—writ large, the way we like it writ, because then we can’t help but see ourselves in it.

Hvis du skal ta med deg en eneste roman på sommerferie, bør det bli Jonathan Franzens "Korrigeringer". Du kan ikke gjøre noe bedre kjøp akkurat nå. Men romanen gjør deg ikke dermed til en lykkelig konsument, mener Tom Egil Hverven.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Tom Egil Hverven (Jun 24, 2002)

'Met voorsprong het beste boek dat ik in jaren gelezen heb. Het enige slechte is dat het jammer genoeg na 502 pagina's ophoudt.'
added by guurtjesboekenkast | editDe Morgen, Yves Desmet

'De correcties is een zeldzaamheid: een boek dat hoog inzet, stilistisch verbluft en niet kan worden weggelegd tot het is uitgelezen.'
added by guurtjesboekenkast | editNRC Handelsblad, Pieter Steinz

Fremragende amerikansk roman minder os om hvor nøjsomme vi i grunden er herhjemme. Litterært set.
added by 2810michael | editJyllands-Posten, Niels Lillelund

Lameris, MarianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, CajTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pareschi, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David Means and Geneve Patterson
The madness of an autumn prairie cold front coming through.
The human species was given dominion over the earth and took the opportunity to exterminate other species and warm the atmosphere and generally ruin things in its own image, but it paid the price for the privileges: that the finite and specific animal body of this species contained a brain capable of conceiving the infinite and wishing to be infinite itself.

The Corrections is a 2001 novel by American author Jonathan Franzen. It revolves around the troubles of an elderly Midwestern couple and their three adult children, tracing their lives from the mid-twentieth century to "one last Christmas" together near the turn of the millennium.
You're soldiering on . . . ?
It might become interesting . . . ?
It doesn't. Trust me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312421273, Paperback)

Jonathan Franzen's exhilarating novel The Corrections tells a spellbinding story with sexy comic brio, and evokes a quirky family akin to Anne Tyler's, only bitter. Franzen's great at describing Christmas homecomings gone awry, cruise-ship follies, self-deluded academics, breast-obsessed screenwriters, stodgy old farts and edgy Tribeca bohemians equally at sea in their lives, and the mad, bad, dangerous worlds of the Internet boom and the fissioning post-Soviet East.

All five members of the Lambert family get their due, as everybody's lives swirl out of control. Paterfamilias Alfred is slipping into dementia, even as one of his inventions inspires a pharmaceutical giant to revolutionize treatment of his disease. His stubborn wife, Enid, specializes in denial; so do their kids, each in an idiosyncratic way. Their hepcat son, Chip, lost a college sinecure by seducing a student, and his new career as a screenwriter is in peril. Chip's sister, Denise, is a chic chef perpetually in hot water, romantically speaking; banker brother Gary wonders if his stifling marriage is driving him nuts. We inhabit these troubled minds in turn, sinking into sorrow punctuated by laughter, reveling in Franzen's satirical eye:

Gary in recent years had observed, with plate tectonically cumulative anxiety, that population was continuing to flow out of the Midwest and toward the cooler coasts.... Gary wished that all further migration [could] be banned and all Midwesterners encouraged to revert to eating pasty foods and wearing dowdy clothes and playing board games, in order that a strategic national reserve of cluelessness might be maintained, a wilderness of taste which would enable people of privilege, like himself, to feel extremely civilized in perpetuity.
Franzen is funny and on the money. This book puts him on the literary map. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:05 -0400)

After almost fifty years as a wife and mother, Enid Lambert is ready to have some fun. Unfortunately, her husband, Alfred, is losing his sanity to Parkinson's disease, and their children have flown the family nest to live their own lives. Desperate for some pleasure, Enid has set her heart on bringing her family together for one last Christmas at home.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,567,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible