The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

The Corrections (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Jonathan Franzen

Member:mikemillertime
Title:The Corrections
Authors:Jonathan Franzen
Info:
Rating:*****

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen (2001)

Empire Falls by Richard Russo (Othemts)
    The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas (ominogue)
    A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon (fyrefly98)
    Rabbit Angstrom: A Tetrology by John Updike (starbox)
    The Body of Jonah Boyd: A Novel by David Leavitt (Anonymous user)
    A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan (ominogue)
    Cronus' Children by Yves Navarre (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: A similar framework--rigid paterfamilias, compliant wife, troubled adult children who are loth to return to the family home. And an interesting contrast, because Navarre's tone, approach, and attitude are altogether unlike Franzen's.
    The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem (Othemts)
    Seven Types of Ambiguity by Elliot Perlman (MsRoux)
    MsRoux: Complex and rewarding
    The Beast in the Jungle by Henry James (WSB7)
    WSB7: Similar central theme, but taken up a notch.

English (234)  Dutch (6)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (250)
A quit dysfunctional family with members that love/hate each other. Throughout the book your sad to leave them, cause it feels like your family.
  MartinaHogberg | Sep 14, 2014 |
Normally when I start writing a review, I at least know if I enjoyed the book. The Corrections has me bemused however, as I think I enjoyed it, whilst taking a dislike to how Jonathan Franzen mischievously described the families emerging problems in a way that constantly makes you think: "Is this happening in my family?" "I think I'm ok, but now I've read this, I might need to get my head examined, just in case...". And so on.

Bear with the slow start, would be my advice, as I found it worth the long read. ( )
1 vote scodenton | Jul 24, 2014 |
Jonathan Franzen is a wonderful observer of dysfunctional family dynamics. His imaginative dialog and vivid scene descriptions are riveting. Franzen's erudite and ingenious account of Chip's, (the middle son), time in Lithuania was some of the most fascinating fiction I've ever read. ( )
1 vote DougJ110 | Jul 1, 2014 |
I'm kind of in awe of this book. There's so much detail. Each character's pathetic station in life is explored completely, giving a full picture of exactly how they got to be where (and who) they are. There's also plenty of detail on the housing and economic boom of the 1990s and the culture of Lithuania thrown in to frame the story.

It actually got to be a little overwhelming because none of the characters was particularly likable, and really, almost nothing good happens to any of them throughout the whole novel, and all of their misfortune is of their own making. They're self-absorbed and self-serving and conniving and frustrating...but they're so realistic and compelling that it was hard to put the book down. I read the whole thing in two days.

I also thought the narrative structure was interesting. Each section would start in one direction, and then meander off on a tangent into the past to detail each of the kids' relationship with their parents and how they got from there to here. It sounds jarring, but it really flowed pretty well.

Franzen has some things to say in this book about familial relationships, both parent-child and inter-sibling, if you will. I thought the role the parents' personalities played in shaping their children's lives was a little overemphasized, but that was what the book was about, so I get it. And having now read both this and Freedom, I have to wonder if Franzen will ever feature any characters that are mentally healthy and well-adjusted. Or if he perhaps thinks that everyone is broken in some way, which could probably be argued. At any rate, characters who are whole obviously aren't something he's cared to explore to this point, but I think it would set up a heck of a contrast with his other characters, if nothing else. ( )
1 vote jonwwil | May 31, 2014 |
Brilliantly written, but I didn't really enjoy reading it.

2 vote dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |
Franzen’s brilliant achievement is that he creates a set of stereotypical characters and then opens the door and allows us see, in suspenseful, humorous, mesmerizing detail, their defining moments. What was once a silhouette becomes three-dimensional. The complexity becomes a dim mirror of our own complex interiority—writ large, the way we like it writ, because then we can’t help but see ourselves in it.

Hvis du skal ta med deg en eneste roman på sommerferie, bør det bli Jonathan Franzens "Korrigeringer". Du kan ikke gjøre noe bedre kjøp akkurat nå. Men romanen gjør deg ikke dermed til en lykkelig konsument, mener Tom Egil Hverven.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Tom Egil Hverven (Jun 24, 2002)

Franzen, Jonathanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lameris, MarianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, CajTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pareschi, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David Means and Geneve Patterson
The madness of an autumn prairie cold front coming through.
The human species was given dominion over the earth and took the opportunity to exterminate other species and warm the atmosphere and generally ruin things in its own image, but it paid the price for the privileges: that the finite and specific animal body of this species contained a brain capable of conceiving the infinite and wishing to be infinite itself.

The Corrections is a 2001 novel by American author Jonathan Franzen. It revolves around the troubles of an elderly Midwestern couple and their three adult children, tracing their lives from the mid-twentieth century to "one last Christmas" together near the turn of the millennium.
You're soldiering on . . . ?
It might become interesting . . . ?
It doesn't. Trust me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312421273, Paperback)

Jonathan Franzen's exhilarating novel The Corrections tells a spellbinding story with sexy comic brio, and evokes a quirky family akin to Anne Tyler's, only bitter. Franzen's great at describing Christmas homecomings gone awry, cruise-ship follies, self-deluded academics, breast-obsessed screenwriters, stodgy old farts and edgy Tribeca bohemians equally at sea in their lives, and the mad, bad, dangerous worlds of the Internet boom and the fissioning post-Soviet East.

All five members of the Lambert family get their due, as everybody's lives swirl out of control. Paterfamilias Alfred is slipping into dementia, even as one of his inventions inspires a pharmaceutical giant to revolutionize treatment of his disease. His stubborn wife, Enid, specializes in denial; so do their kids, each in an idiosyncratic way. Their hepcat son, Chip, lost a college sinecure by seducing a student, and his new career as a screenwriter is in peril. Chip's sister, Denise, is a chic chef perpetually in hot water, romantically speaking; banker brother Gary wonders if his stifling marriage is driving him nuts. We inhabit these troubled minds in turn, sinking into sorrow punctuated by laughter, reveling in Franzen's satirical eye:

Gary in recent years had observed, with plate tectonically cumulative anxiety, that population was continuing to flow out of the Midwest and toward the cooler coasts.... Gary wished that all further migration [could] be banned and all Midwesterners encouraged to revert to eating pasty foods and wearing dowdy clothes and playing board games, in order that a strategic national reserve of cluelessness might be maintained, a wilderness of taste which would enable people of privilege, like himself, to feel extremely civilized in perpetuity.
Franzen is funny and on the money. This book puts him on the literary map. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:56 -0400)

After almost fifty years as a wife and mother, Enid Lambert is ready to have some fun. Unfortunately, her husband, Alfred, is losing his sanity to Parkinson's disease, and their children have flown the family nest to live their own lives. Desperate for some pleasure, Enid has set her heart on bringing her family together for one last Christmas at home.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,406,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible