The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

The Corrections (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Jonathan Franzen

Member:mikemillertime
Title:The Corrections
Authors:Jonathan Franzen
Info:Farrar Straus & Giroux (2001), Edition: 3rd Edition, Hardcover, 568 pages
Rating:*****

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen (2001)

Empire Falls by Richard Russo (Othemts)
    A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon (fyrefly98)
    The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas (ominogue)
    Rabbit Angstrom: A Tetralogy by John Updike (starbox)
    The Body of Jonah Boyd: A Novel by David Leavitt (Anonymous user)
    A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley (sturlington)
    sturlington: Parent-adult children relationships
    Cronus' Children by Yves Navarre (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: A similar framework--rigid paterfamilias, compliant wife, troubled adult children who are loth to return to the family home. And an interesting contrast, because Navarre's tone, approach, and attitude are altogether unlike Franzen's.
    A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan (ominogue)
    The Beast in the Jungle by Henry James (WSB7)
    WSB7: Similar central theme, but taken up a notch.
    Seven Types of Ambiguity by Elliot Perlman (MsRoux)
    MsRoux: Complex and rewarding
    The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem (Othemts)

English (268)  Dutch (7)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  All (287)
So after a slow start I finished the last two-thirds of this book today in two sittings. It is actually as good as I remembered it being--even a little better, since I remember the Lithuania sections being longer and more maddening. People talk about all the characters being unlikable, but I can sympathize with all of them (except Caroline--Franzen must have been working something out there, because she really has no redeeming features). I still love Denise and Robin.

I think Franzen comes across as a pretentious tool, but I have to admit that he can really write. I'm much more interested in Freedom now. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
I was excited to read Jonathan Franzen after reading one of his pieces in the New Yorker. It was easily one of the best things I've ever read, so his novel should be good too, right? Wellllllll......
The writing is what earned this novel its stars. Other than that, it was pretty disappointing, plot-wise and character-wise. I had to take away a star for the pages dealing with a sociopathic talking turd, too. Franzen was maddeningly brief with certain parts I found interesting, and went on ad nauseam about other, less exciting things. Some inane dialogue is okay, but I didn't need 3 or 4 pages of Scandinavians arguing about whose country is best. Overall, the writing is probably the best thing about this book. Maybe I should stick to reading Franzen's essays. ( )
  hylandk | Nov 2, 2016 |
Snapshot of dysfunctional grown family. Maybe too much realism for escapism reading that many prefer. ( )
  suline | Oct 27, 2016 |
Interesting and extensive character development. Realistic and believable characters. But maybe a bit too painful in the reality that it portrays, but I couldn't finish it. ( )
  deldevries | Oct 19, 2016 |
Fantastic writing - insightful and clever and often funny. Not a plot driven book, but a great description of people's inner lives and how it all intersects in family dynamics. The first third or so was a bit depressing, but by the end I didn't feel it was an overall depressing book. I enjoyed it a lot. ( )
  JBP11 | Oct 14, 2016 |
Franzen’s brilliant achievement is that he creates a set of stereotypical characters and then opens the door and allows us see, in suspenseful, humorous, mesmerizing detail, their defining moments. What was once a silhouette becomes three-dimensional. The complexity becomes a dim mirror of our own complex interiority—writ large, the way we like it writ, because then we can’t help but see ourselves in it.

Hvis du skal ta med deg en eneste roman på sommerferie, bør det bli Jonathan Franzens "Korrigeringer". Du kan ikke gjøre noe bedre kjøp akkurat nå. Men romanen gjør deg ikke dermed til en lykkelig konsument, mener Tom Egil Hverven.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Tom Egil Hverven (Jun 24, 2002)

'Met voorsprong het beste boek dat ik in jaren gelezen heb. Het enige slechte is dat het jammer genoeg na 502 pagina's ophoudt.'
added by guurtjesboekenkast | editDe Morgen, Yves Desmet

'De correcties is een zeldzaamheid: een boek dat hoog inzet, stilistisch verbluft en niet kan worden weggelegd tot het is uitgelezen.'
added by guurtjesboekenkast | editNRC Handelsblad, Pieter Steinz

Fremragende amerikansk roman minder os om hvor nøjsomme vi i grunden er herhjemme. Litterært set.
added by 2810michael | editJyllands-Posten, Niels Lillelund

Lameris, MarianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, CajTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pareschi, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David Means and Geneve Patterson
The madness of an autumn prairie cold front coming through.
The human species was given dominion over the earth and took the opportunity to exterminate other species and warm the atmosphere and generally ruin things in its own image, but it paid the price for the privileges: that the finite and specific animal body of this species contained a brain capable of conceiving the infinite and wishing to be infinite itself.

The Corrections is a 2001 novel by American author Jonathan Franzen. It revolves around the troubles of an elderly Midwestern couple and their three adult children, tracing their lives from the mid-twentieth century to "one last Christmas" together near the turn of the millennium.
You're soldiering on . . . ?
It might become interesting . . . ?
It doesn't. Trust me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312421273, Paperback)

Jonathan Franzen's exhilarating novel The Corrections tells a spellbinding story with sexy comic brio, and evokes a quirky family akin to Anne Tyler's, only bitter. Franzen's great at describing Christmas homecomings gone awry, cruise-ship follies, self-deluded academics, breast-obsessed screenwriters, stodgy old farts and edgy Tribeca bohemians equally at sea in their lives, and the mad, bad, dangerous worlds of the Internet boom and the fissioning post-Soviet East.

All five members of the Lambert family get their due, as everybody's lives swirl out of control. Paterfamilias Alfred is slipping into dementia, even as one of his inventions inspires a pharmaceutical giant to revolutionize treatment of his disease. His stubborn wife, Enid, specializes in denial; so do their kids, each in an idiosyncratic way. Their hepcat son, Chip, lost a college sinecure by seducing a student, and his new career as a screenwriter is in peril. Chip's sister, Denise, is a chic chef perpetually in hot water, romantically speaking; banker brother Gary wonders if his stifling marriage is driving him nuts. We inhabit these troubled minds in turn, sinking into sorrow punctuated by laughter, reveling in Franzen's satirical eye:

Gary in recent years had observed, with plate tectonically cumulative anxiety, that population was continuing to flow out of the Midwest and toward the cooler coasts.... Gary wished that all further migration [could] be banned and all Midwesterners encouraged to revert to eating pasty foods and wearing dowdy clothes and playing board games, in order that a strategic national reserve of cluelessness might be maintained, a wilderness of taste which would enable people of privilege, like himself, to feel extremely civilized in perpetuity.
Franzen is funny and on the money. This book puts him on the literary map. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:05 -0400)

After almost fifty years as a wife and mother, Enid Lambert is ready to have some fun. Unfortunately, her husband, Alfred, is losing his sanity to Parkinson's disease, and their children have flown the family nest to live their own lives. Desperate for some pleasure, Enid has set her heart on bringing her family together for one last Christmas at home.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,735,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible