Crazy Hair by Neil Gaiman

Crazy Hair (2009)

by Neil Gaiman, Dave McKean (Illustrator)

Recently added byprivate library, kradish, Glennis.LeBlanc, jayta, LLIS-Library, kristen_nicoson, scaifea

This is a modern fantasy and I was not a huge fan of this book for several reasons. The way the text is written makes the book difficult to read and follow along with. Each word at the beginning of a sentence is capitalized, even if it isn’t a new sentence. This was confusing for me and I am sure it would be for a new reader or someone who struggles to read. The different fonts made the text harder to read as well. Some font was big, some small, some bold, some italic and different fonts. This would have been a neat feature to the book, but the way the text was organized did not make it play out that way. The words were scattered all over the pages, in different directions and had no organization. Some words had lines going through them or you had to guess where you were supposed to read next. What I did like about this book is that the pictures were very detailed and colorful. It drew your attention to the book and made it seem like you were going on an adventure as you turned each page. The pages included pirate ships, a bear, a lion, hot air balloons, colorful dresses, a carousel and other things that might be found only in your imagination or your adventurous dreams. The entire story rhymed in a sophisticated way that added to the story and made it more exciting to read like saying, “Twisting, tangling trails and loops, treasure chests and pirate sloops”. Finally, I liked that you had to really think about the message the story was trying to portray to you. The big idea wasn’t as obvious as it is in most children’s books, which is good for students to possible reread the story and think in depth. However, the big idea was that the character originally thought this man had “crazy” hair because it was something she had never seen before. As the man with the “crazy hair” began telling his story and everything exciting the “crazy” hair has done for him, the girl becomes interested and joins in on those adventures. It teaches students that just because something is different, don’t mean we should call it crazy. Once you understand something you might learn that it is actually something exciting and something you might even enjoy. ( )
  SaraColvin | Feb 5, 2014 |

Crazy Hair is one of the book that I found in Big Bad Wolf Sale which I try to get for my nephew since when he's getting older, he won't get pink fairy tale book hand-me-downs and instead a creepy Neil Gaiman book.

Well, it is a given since these guys made Mirrormask.

I don't know about you, it does nothing with Mirrormask's creep noir level.

But it is intended to be a children's book. Very thin but rich with texture and colors that made it an interesting book for even adults to read... that or Neil Gaiman fans.

Its about a guy with creepy hair that have weird things in it and that its floating from the sky. Very original and very whimsical innocent fairy-tales format like and very gender neutral. I don't think anyone would have issue in owning this book. It is hard for anyone to elicit proper emotions from lines and colours and in this McKean does wonders to the eyes. Gaiman on the other hand, contributed with interesting words along the pages as the character try to explain to his *probably* daughter about his hair and how his hair have weird things inside them.

If you have weird sense of humor, for a short picture book, the story is really hilarious in wacky way.

aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |

Well, it is a given since these guys made Mirrormask.

I don't know about you, it does nothing with Mirrormask's creep noir level.

aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |
What a delightful journey of creativity with the theme of out of control hair. I was enthralled by this book. I liked everything about it -- the images, the story line and the way in which it all blended together to create an exquisite publication.

Mesmerized by a man who has wild, extremely out of control hair, young Bonnie is curious and discovers a host of characters living in the mangled mane. There are pirates, gorillas, a rain forest complete with animals, and birds and bears all live in the crazy hair.

Offering to comb the hair, eventually young Bonnie is swallowed inside with the host of mangy characters.

While very young children might find some of the images scary, still, I wouldn't hesitate to read it to the young ones in my life. ( )
  Whisper1 | Jun 19, 2013 |
As expected, this book is "out there!" I liked the bizarreness and creativity of what was in the crazy hair. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mckean, DaveIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Maddy
This is Bonnie. This is me.

Bonnie encounters all sorts of exotic animals and marvelous things inside a man's crazy hair.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,692,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible