Nathan Hale: The Life and Death of America's…

Nathan Hale: The Life and Death of America's First Spy (2008)

by M. William Phelps

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
So much is not commonly known about spying during the War for Independence. It is exciting to see more people taking an interest in it now. Nathan Hale is certainly a legend, but how much do we really know about this man and what he did? This book is well written and is full of information to bring history to life. ( )
  mgeorge2755 | Oct 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Nathan Hale is a very informative book. It is full of information that is not known by most people. There was much more to Nathan Hale than a school teacher who became a soldier and died as a spy. In modern times it is difficult to understand the magnitude of what Nathan Hale had done. Spying was frowned upon, and was seen as a disgrace to the family of the spy. Hale risked death and family disgrace in order to help America's cause. William Phelps does a good job of bringing Nathan Hale out of the fog of historical legend, and into the sun of historical fact. Phelps clearly reveres Hale, but he is still able to show his shortcomings. ( )
  torrey23 | Jan 20, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
William Phelps biography of Nathan Hale is a very enjoyable read. The book is well researched, but I did find the heavy use of quotes a little distracting from the story. ( )
  cweller | Jul 29, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"I regret that I have but one life to give to my country."

Nathan Hale speaks this famous line and is then hung at the gallows by the British General Howe as a spy for the American rebellion.

I thought the legend was interesting enough that I took a review copy from publisher to learn more about America's first spy. What I learned is that the legend is much more interesting than the truth.

Hale was used a martyr for the American rebellion, becoming synonymous with patriotism, freedom, and the fight for liberty. He was a well-learned man, handsome, and good with the ladies.

As much as Mr. Phelps tries to bring Hale to life and fill in his background, there just is not much there. The book is thin and spends as much time filling in stories about the Revolutionary War and other people in Hale's life as it does telling Hale's life.

It turns out that Hale was not a very good spy. He was caught on first mission. It also turns out that he probably did not speak that famous line.

Maybe I'll stick with the legend. ( )
  dougcornelius | Jul 29, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Phelps has made Nathan Hale's life and death digestible to today's average reader. It is clear that he has done extensive research on the matter, but he doesn't bog you down in details. He provides just enough to give the reader context without being overwhelming. That should make this book good for the new/reluctant reader and possibly whet their appetite to study the American Revolution in greater detail. A good starter book. ( )
  Hedgepeth | Jul 15, 2015 |
For Gregg Olsen: Friend, Mentor, Colleague
From the Western Front of the green facing Yale College's Connecticut Hall, a three-story redbrick building, one could look to the east and manage a squinted glimpse of Long Island Sound and, just over the horizon, the magnificent Atlantic Ocean.

The first biography in nearly a century of the legendary Revolutionary War patriot and our country’s first spy.
Few Americans know much more about Nathan Hale than his famous last words: “I only regret that I have one life left to give for my country.” But who was the real Nathan Hale?
     M. William Phelps charts the life of this famed patriot and Connecticut’s state hero, following Hale’s rural childhood, his education at Yale, and his work as a schoolteacher. Even in his brief career, he distinguished himself by offering formal lessons to young women. Like many young Americans, he soon became drawn into the colonies’ war for independence, becoming a captain in Washington’s army. When the general was in need of a spy, Hale willingly rose to the challenge, bravely sacrificing his life for the sake of American liberty.
     Using Hale’s own journals and letters as well as testimonies from his friends and contemporaries, Phelps depicts the Revolution as it was seen from the ground. From the confrontation in Boston to the battle for New York City, readers experience what life was like for an ordinary soldier in the struggling Continental army.
     In this impressive, well-researched biography, Phelps separates historical fact from long-standing myth to reveal the life of Nathan Hale, a young man who deserves to be remembered as an original American patriot.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:15 -0400)

"Few Americans know much more about Nathan Hale than his famous last words: 'I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.' But who was the real Nathan Hale? In this well-researched biography, M. Williams Phelps separates historical fact from long-standing myth to reveal the life of Nathan Hale, a young man who deserves to be remembered as an original American patriot."--Book jacket.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

M. William Phelps's book Nathan Hale: The Life and Death of America's First Spy was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,616,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible