The Dark Tower VII (The Dark Tower #7) by…

The Dark Tower VII (The Dark Tower #7) (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Stephen King, George Guidall (Reader)

Member:bobdriskell
Title:The Dark Tower VII (The Dark Tower #7)
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:George Guidall (Reader)
Info:Simon & Schuster Audio (2004), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Tags:audio book

The Dark Tower by Stephen King (2004)

English (120)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (128)
I finished! Started it in high school (80's) and picked it back up in earnest after 9/11 (not sure why but I did). I liked it. My favorite was Book 2 "The Drawing of the Three". Have to admit I didn't plan to read the 'end' but then read the author's note and then had to finish it (was too curious what was in the Tower). Was surprised, but it all makes sense. To anyone who is just starting the journey my only comment would be - just enjoy the ride and don't try to figure it out. ( )
  Charlie-Ravioli | Jan 18, 2016 |
I've been waiting for years for this book to come out and it was worth the wait. Amazing storytelling as usual from King and what an ending! It takes you so many places and I didn't want to put it down. I was sad when it was over. ( )
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
I don't know that, having finally finished all 5000 pages or so of the Dark Tower series, I really am impressed as much as I think I maybe should be.

An odd statement, no?

I definitely liked this series. At times more, at times less. Coming to the end after several months of reading, on-again-off-again, the conclusion seems both appropriate... and disappointing. I do feel like I've missed out on some key insight, some key "Ah-ha!" I was supposed to get, given all I've heard about this series over the years.

And yet I am impressed. I did like it. There is a certain kind of satisfaction in the incompleteness of the ending, the... dare I say it... fallback... to the infinite regress. Perhaps. After all, the first book, written, what 35 years earlier, did start abruptly. You just dropped into the story.

I don't know, the more I think about it, the more tied together it all does in fact feel.

And yet... :)

I wish I could give this 4.5 stars. But I think, perhaps for a change, I will round up. ( )
  dcunning11235 | Dec 21, 2015 |
This book was crap. I threw it across the room when I finished it and never looked back. Absolute garbage. Stephen King was obviously ready to just have this series done and over with, so he phoned it's grand finale in. I've never been more disappointed by another book. The rest of the series was amazing, and to be fair *most* of this book was as good as the rest, but the last 100 pages or so killed it. To read thousands of pages of a story, follow it for years, and have it end with this just sucked. I recommend the Dark Tower series, they're great great books, but you're better off imagining your own ending then you are reading Kings. ( )
  Joeyzaza82 | Jul 31, 2015 |
so ends this saga. and honestly i thought it was fantastic. i've never been too into king, but of what i have read this is hands down my favorite. i found myself actually taking my time with this last novel (something unusual for me) waiting a day or two between readings to mull everything over, not really wanting the epic to end.
now that it's over i'll have to find something equally entralling to get through the late nights of colic. ( )
  mkclane | Jul 31, 2015 |
N 1970, when he was 22, Stephen King wrote a sentence he liked: ''The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'' It's an innocent sentence -- pulpy and suggestive -- but it grew to become a monster. As the first line in the ''Dark Tower'' series, it begins a story King intended to be the longest popular novel in history. With the publication of ''The Dark Tower VII,'' the series has topped the 4,000-page mark and, mercifully, reached its conclusion.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Michael Agger (Oct 17, 2004)

King's "The Dark Tower" is the culmination of a saga that spans 3,000 pages, seven primary volumes, at least 15 ancillary ones and more than three decades of effort on the part of its author.

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not hear? When noise was everywhere! it tolled / Increasing like a bell. Names in my ears / Of all the lost adventurers, my peers -- / How such a one was strong, and such was bold, / And such was fortunate, yet each of old / Lost, lost! one moment knelled the woe of years. // There they stood, ranged along the hillsides, met / To view the last of me, a living frame / For one more picture! In a sheet of flame / I saw them and I knew them all. And yet / Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set, / And blew. 'Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came.' -- Robert Browning, "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"
I was born / Six-gun in my hand, / behind a gun/ I'll make my final stand. -- Bad Company
What have I become? / My sweetest friend / Everyone I know / Goes away in the end / You could have it all / My empire of dirt / I will let you down / I will make you hurt. -- Trent Reznor
He who speaks without an attentive ear is mute. Therefore, Constant Reader, this final book in the Dark Tower cycle is dedicated to you. Long days and pleasant nights.
Pere Don Callahan had once been the Catholic priest of a town, 'Salem's Lot had been it's name, that no longer existed on any map.
He was aware that his hands had rolled themselves into fists, but only because he could feel his carefully cared-for nails biting into his palms.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743254562, Paperback)

At one point in this final book of the Dark Tower series, the character Stephen King (added to the plot in Song of Susannah) looks back at the preceding pages and says "when this last book is published, the readers are going to be just wild." And he's not kidding.

After a journey through seven books and over 20 years, King's Constant Readers finally have the conclusion they've been both eagerly awaiting and silently dreading. The tension in the Dark Tower series has built steadily from the beginning and, like in the best of King's novels, explodes into a violent, heart-tugging climax as Roland and his ka-tet finally near their goal. The body count in The Dark Tower is high. The gunslingers come out shooting and face a host of enemies, including low men, mutants, vampires, Roland's hideous quasi-offspring Mordred, and the fearsome Crimson King himself. King pushes the gross-out factor at times--Roland's lesson on tanning (no, not sun tanning) is brutal--but the magic of the series remains strong and readers will feel the pull of the Tower as strongly as ever as the story draws to a close. During this sentimental journey, King ties up loose ends left hanging from the 15 non-series novels and stories that are deeply entwined in the fabric of Mid-World through characters like Randall Flagg (The Stand and others) or Father Callahan ('Salem's Lot). When it finally arrives, the long awaited conclusion will leave King's myriad fans satisfied but wishing there were still more to come.

In King's memoir On Writing, he tells of an old woman who wrote him after reading the early books in the Dark Tower series. She was dying, she said, and didn't expect to see the end of Roland's quest. Could King tell her? Does he reach the Tower? Does he save it? Sadly, King said he did not know himself, that the story was creating itself as it went along. Wherever that woman is now (the clearing at the end of the path, perhaps?), let's hope she has a copy of The Dark Tower. Surely she would agree it's been worth the wait. --Benjamin Reese

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:51 -0400)

The last in the series wherein Roland Deschain embarks upon his final quest in the search for the Dark Tower.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,192,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible