The Dark Tower VII (The Dark Tower #7) by…

The Dark Tower VII (The Dark Tower #7) (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Stephen King, George Guidall (Reader)

Member:bobdriskell
Title:The Dark Tower VII (The Dark Tower #7)
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:George Guidall (Reader)
Info:Simon & Schuster Audio (2004), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Tags:audio book

The Dark Tower by Stephen King (2004)

English (125)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  English (1)  Dutch (1)  English (134)
I don't know that, having finally finished all 5000 pages or so of the Dark Tower series, I really am impressed as much as I think I maybe should be.

An odd statement, no?

I definitely liked this series. At times more, at times less. Coming to the end after several months of reading, on-again-off-again, the conclusion seems both appropriate... and disappointing. I do feel like I've missed out on some key insight, some key "Ah-ha!" I was supposed to get, given all I've heard about this series over the years.

And yet I am impressed. I did like it. There is a certain kind of satisfaction in the incompleteness of the ending, the... dare I say it... fallback... to the infinite regress. Perhaps. After all, the first book, written, what 35 years earlier, did start abruptly. You just dropped into the story.

I don't know, the more I think about it, the more tied together it all does in fact feel.

And yet... :)

I wish I could give this 4.5 stars. But I think, perhaps for a change, I will round up. ( )
  dcunning11235 | Oct 17, 2016 |
Well, thank Bog that's over.

I'll tell you what: for a while there, I was going to let that sentence be my whole review. The Dark Tower, also known as last 1050 pages of the enormous Dark Tower saga was pretty rough going for me. Mostly in terms of sheer annoyance.

Unlike most of the series' true fans and Constant Readers -- and I know a lot of them, online and in meatspace -- I never really bonded with the characters, mostly because, as I've complained of in all of my other posts about these books, these characters never really came to life for me.* Oh, they came close, every single one of them. But it always seemed like just as soon as they were doing so, the author yanked hard on their puppet strings and made them dance to his tune instead of their own. I've come to expect that from King, but after watching him do that for hundreds and thousands of pages, to the same five main characters and a host of secondaries, I'm punchy and exhausted and annoyed as hell and want to punch the man in the crotch.

But then there's the ending. And let me tell you this: I dug the ending. Oh, not the wish fulfillment happy ending in Central Park, but what we learn in the coda. Seriously: after wading through all the muck of these last several books, that was really the only ending that would have earned my respect. It brought this from two stars up to three, that coda. Well done, Mr. King. I might even call you Sai King. Just this once.

*So no, I didn't cry or anything when anybody died. In large part this is probably because not a single death in this book is a surprise (well, except for one, and that one, that was just cheap. Hundreds of thousands of pages of shit-eating grins and traps and henchmen attacks and BOOM, a brand new player pulled off the bench in the last book gits him? UGH). I've complained of my ribs being sore from all the digging references to other elements of pop culture (Harry Potter. UGH); now my head is sore from its having been beaten over the head in advance of every death. Kate. Yeah. Hey, Kate. Kate. So and so is going to die. Are you read for so and so to die, Kate? Because so and so is gonna die. And it's really going to be tragic. And it's going to make you sad. Hey, Kate, do you get it yet? So and so is gonna die. STOP STOP STOP. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
I struggled with whether this deserved four or five stars or not. The ending is bittersweet – after all, isn’t it about the ending since the journey is over? – so why not mention it upfront? The series is one epic, long, torturous journey. Rarely have I read a quest type novel, and this is certainly the longest series I’ve experienced. No matter how complicated King incorporated a blend of genres, (fantasy, science fiction, mystery, even a small amount of romance), it still remains ultimately a seek and find quest.

As said, the ending is bittersweet and makes one a bit angry but it also makes sense. I think there is definite hope when the horn is raised next. Being careful not to leak spoilers here, hopefully those who’ve read the books know what I’m talking about.

I didn’t expect all hearts and roses – it’s King, for one thing, and the man has the tendency to hammer brutality into his words. This isn’t a happy ever after story and was never promised or meant to be one, but damn, depressing stuff. I cry at the drop of a hat when it comes to books anyway, and this one made me positively weep.

Characters got to shine to finish off the tale. Mordred fascinated me, although I could have done without the stomach issues (ew). He’s a villain who stands out as tragic, truly evil, and twisted. Despite gripping villains, showdown scenes kind of sucked. Randall Flagg is especially a letdown. Also King is back into the books, literally, and it feels a little off this time. Maybe part of this is a catharsis from the accident and finishing the series so quickly as a result.

King saturates the pages with grim tones and shattering loss. The price of reward is expensive. The ending, as I’ve said, actually makes sense and is an ironic filled touch. I don’t like the very end wrap up for some of the characters though as it feels unreal and forced.
When the journey ends Roland is a changed man, nothing else would make sense. If he has changed enough is an answer up to the reader.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
The end of it! a surprise!
The series is my preferred work from S King. ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
The Dark Tower series coming to a close is both a relief and depressing. The entire arc of the series jumps around in such haphazard fashion that I never really got connected with the quest to the Dark Tower. During this book, I actually felt the excitement return that was lost in the previous books, due to the fact it was more plot driven and coming to a close. I really liked the end, as it is was a reminder that it is all about the journey and not the destination. What I am going to miss are the characters. Stephen King does a great job of making unique, but believable characters that you both love and adore. Mainly due to the characters, amazing prose, the sporadic weirdness, and the incredible attention to detail, I really enjoyed this series. ( )
  renbedell | Mar 11, 2016 |
N 1970, when he was 22, Stephen King wrote a sentence he liked: ''The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'' It's an innocent sentence -- pulpy and suggestive -- but it grew to become a monster. As the first line in the ''Dark Tower'' series, it begins a story King intended to be the longest popular novel in history. With the publication of ''The Dark Tower VII,'' the series has topped the 4,000-page mark and, mercifully, reached its conclusion.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Michael Agger (Oct 17, 2004)

King's "The Dark Tower" is the culmination of a saga that spans 3,000 pages, seven primary volumes, at least 15 ancillary ones and more than three decades of effort on the part of its author.

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bergner, WulfÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not hear? When noise was everywhere! it tolled / Increasing like a bell. Names in my ears / Of all the lost adventurers, my peers -- / How such a one was strong, and such was bold, / And such was fortunate, yet each of old / Lost, lost! one moment knelled the woe of years. // There they stood, ranged along the hillsides, met / To view the last of me, a living frame / For one more picture! In a sheet of flame / I saw them and I knew them all. And yet / Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set, / And blew. 'Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came.' -- Robert Browning, "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"
I was born / Six-gun in my hand, / behind a gun/ I'll make my final stand. -- Bad Company
What have I become? / My sweetest friend / Everyone I know / Goes away in the end / You could have it all / My empire of dirt / I will let you down / I will make you hurt. -- Trent Reznor
He who speaks without an attentive ear is mute. Therefore, Constant Reader, this final book in the Dark Tower cycle is dedicated to you. Long days and pleasant nights.
Pere Don Callahan had once been the Catholic priest of a town, 'Salem's Lot had been it's name, that no longer existed on any map.
He was aware that his hands had rolled themselves into fists, but only because he could feel his carefully cared-for nails biting into his palms.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743254562, Paperback)

At one point in this final book of the Dark Tower series, the character Stephen King (added to the plot in Song of Susannah) looks back at the preceding pages and says "when this last book is published, the readers are going to be just wild." And he's not kidding.

After a journey through seven books and over 20 years, King's Constant Readers finally have the conclusion they've been both eagerly awaiting and silently dreading. The tension in the Dark Tower series has built steadily from the beginning and, like in the best of King's novels, explodes into a violent, heart-tugging climax as Roland and his ka-tet finally near their goal. The body count in The Dark Tower is high. The gunslingers come out shooting and face a host of enemies, including low men, mutants, vampires, Roland's hideous quasi-offspring Mordred, and the fearsome Crimson King himself. King pushes the gross-out factor at times--Roland's lesson on tanning (no, not sun tanning) is brutal--but the magic of the series remains strong and readers will feel the pull of the Tower as strongly as ever as the story draws to a close. During this sentimental journey, King ties up loose ends left hanging from the 15 non-series novels and stories that are deeply entwined in the fabric of Mid-World through characters like Randall Flagg (The Stand and others) or Father Callahan ('Salem's Lot). When it finally arrives, the long awaited conclusion will leave King's myriad fans satisfied but wishing there were still more to come.

In King's memoir On Writing, he tells of an old woman who wrote him after reading the early books in the Dark Tower series. She was dying, she said, and didn't expect to see the end of Roland's quest. Could King tell her? Does he reach the Tower? Does he save it? Sadly, King said he did not know himself, that the story was creating itself as it went along. Wherever that woman is now (the clearing at the end of the path, perhaps?), let's hope she has a copy of The Dark Tower. Surely she would agree it's been worth the wait. --Benjamin Reese

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:51 -0400)

The last in the series wherein Roland Deschain embarks upon his final quest in the search for the Dark Tower.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,663,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible