The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, Book 7) by…

The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, Book 7) (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Stephen King

Title:The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, Book 7)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Pocket Books (2006), Edition: Mass Paperback Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 1072 pages
Collections:Re-reading, Stephen King, Your library, To read, Favorites
Tags:Dark Tower, gunslinger, western, science fiction, fantasy, post apocalyptic

The Dark Tower by Stephen King (2004)

English (117)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (125)
This book was crap. I threw it across the room when I finished it and never looked back. Absolute garbage. Stephen King was obviously ready to just have this series done and over with, so he phoned it's grand finale in. I've never been more disappointed by another book. The rest of the series was amazing, and to be fair *most* of this book was as good as the rest, but the last 100 pages or so killed it. To read thousands of pages of a story, follow it for years, and have it end with this just sucked. I recommend the Dark Tower series, they're great great books, but you're better off imagining your own ending then you are reading Kings. ( )
  Joeyzaza82 | Jul 31, 2015 |
so ends this saga. and honestly i thought it was fantastic. i've never been too into king, but of what i have read this is hands down my favorite. i found myself actually taking my time with this last novel (something unusual for me) waiting a day or two between readings to mull everything over, not really wanting the epic to end.
now that it's over i'll have to find something equally entralling to get through the late nights of colic. ( )
  mkclane | Jul 31, 2015 |
I'm not really sure what to make of the ending and I don't really want to write too much about it. Somehow, Stephen King found a way to use two of my least favorite endings for his book. The story went on okay and there were certainly parts I enjoyed about the story. But the parts I didn't like were lingering there too. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
Ugh. This messy, messy seventh book caps off one of the most awe-inspiring and frustrating reading experiences of my life. Too often the chapters are either baffling or straight-up boring. It's either the endless cul-de-sacs of trivial descriptions or, for the love of Gan, the relentless mentions of 19. But then without warning I'd be caught breathless by moments of unforced artistry and think, "Yes, this is what it means to seek the Tower."

** a few spoilers ahead **

I've written this review before, a rather lengthly one. I was in college when Dark Tower 7 came out and I remember hauling that near-1,000 page hardcover to class, tuning out the lecture, and reading while pretending to pay attention. The final push through End World and the scarlet fields of Can'-Ka No Rey was one of the most memorable of my life. In spite of an uneven narrative and a somewhat baffling conclusion, I still couldn't hold back the tears of elation and anguish when it was all over. Few other stories have ever moved me in the same way.

In 2006 and again this year (2015) I revisited the entire series. Regretfully, this last book feels less and less inspired each time. There are exceptionally good passages throughout, but the lackluster ones stick out even more. I'm not going to churn out another elongated review for a series I may not return to again for a decade or longer (or ever).

So I'll keep it short. Well, shorter at least.

With the exception of Eddie's death, Roland palavering with Stephen King in 1999, and a few other random moments of odd brilliance, the first part of the book isn't nearly as good as the second. The Ka-tet's victory at Algul Siento was far too easy. And having that be the act that saves the Tower—a series-long tension that's resolved a third of the way through the book, no less—cheapens the reason Roland set out on his journey in the first place.

The second half has plenty wrong with it too, but overall it's an improvement because it's a return to the overland quest that's been MIA since book 3. After a quick stop off at 2 Hammarskjöld Plaza—an interesting visit that seems to raise just as many questions as it answers—Roland and what's left of his gang finally pass the sign announcing their arrival in End World. The anticipation of reaching the Dark Tower is so all-consuming at this point that it's easy to ignore the clunkier parts of the narrative—moments that upon closer inspection make you question if King's motivation for these final several hundred pages wasn't to just finish the darn thing.

And, at last, we reach the Tower. The Crimson King is a ridiculous adversary with his bag of Harry Potter sneeches so nevermind him. Roland's final march towards the Dark Tower while shouting all the names of his lost friends is still as powerful as ever in spite of all the literary distractions that came before it. I look forward to seeing this scene play out on the big screen one day.

What follows next, mere pages after Roland's triumph in the fields of Can'-Ka No Rey, is the worst offense of the entire Tower septology. I'm not talking about the weird happy ending in Central Park, nor about what Roland finds at the room at the very top. I'm talking about where Stephen King re-inserts himself in the story one last time to EFFIN' REPROACH HIS OWN FANS for caring about Roland's final fate. WTF? Tell us how you really feel? Was King trying for some kind of staged artistic indignancy? Or worse, was he honestly this resentful toward his Constant Readers?

Either way, that was cruel and it broke my heart.

** 2nd time completing The Dark Tower series: Summer 2006
*** 3rd time: April 19th, 2015 ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Apr 9, 2015 |
Some thoughts on the series... aiming to be spoiler free.

If an author's story is predictable it is foreseeable that the end product could end up being somwhat boring. King is an avid avoider of the predictable. His charactersheroes suffer things I would not have had my character suffer were I the author. Some of his character choices were odd and unexpected as they did not resemble the type of characters that you would usually see setting out on a quest type adventure. But he made it work.

I really liked the first book. While it was written early in his career for me it was the one that best captured the feeling of dread and horror as a background emotion in the story. It acted to introduce us to the main character and one other we would see as part of the group later.

The second book (The Drawing of the Three) was about the creation of the group that we would follow thru the rest of the 7 books. And how they set upon their quest. I wasn't impressed with 2 of the four (Eddie and Susannah) main characters in this book though they grew on me in later books.

The third and fourth were probably my favorites as they move thru a desolate post apocolyptic world and then the main character relates an adventure from his younger gunslinging days that fills most of a book.

The fifth book moves the story along and was fairly well done though some of the pop culture references were a little odd and I am not sure how well they will age.

The last two books really run together as the 6th book has a cliff hanger ending that is resolved early in the 7th book. I felt the author rambled a bit and I didn't care much for his inclusion of himself as a character. Sucess as an author and of his other books probably granted him some leeway in the editing department.

The way it was all ended was unexpected. But after spending a day letting it digest, it fit.

I would recommend to people that enjoy fantasy or Stephen King's other books.

Please note, there was an 8th book published last year that I have yet to read that comes somewhere in the middle. ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
N 1970, when he was 22, Stephen King wrote a sentence he liked: ''The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'' It's an innocent sentence -- pulpy and suggestive -- but it grew to become a monster. As the first line in the ''Dark Tower'' series, it begins a story King intended to be the longest popular novel in history. With the publication of ''The Dark Tower VII,'' the series has topped the 4,000-page mark and, mercifully, reached its conclusion.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Michael Agger (Oct 17, 2004)
King's "The Dark Tower" is the culmination of a saga that spans 3,000 pages, seven primary volumes, at least 15 ancillary ones and more than three decades of effort on the part of its author.

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not hear? When noise was everywhere! it tolled / Increasing like a bell. Names in my ears / Of all the lost adventurers, my peers -- / How such a one was strong, and such was bold, / And such was fortunate, yet each of old / Lost, lost! one moment knelled the woe of years. // There they stood, ranged along the hillsides, met / To view the last of me, a living frame / For one more picture! In a sheet of flame / I saw them and I knew them all. And yet / Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set, / And blew. 'Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came.' -- Robert Browning, "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"
I was born / Six-gun in my hand, / behind a gun/ I'll make my final stand. -- Bad Company
What have I become? / My sweetest friend / Everyone I know / Goes away in the end / You could have it all / My empire of dirt / I will let you down / I will make you hurt. -- Trent Reznor
He who speaks without an attentive ear is mute. Therefore, Constant Reader, this final book in the Dark Tower cycle is dedicated to you. Long days and pleasant nights.
Pere Don Callahan had once been the Catholic priest of a town, 'Salem's Lot had been it's name, that no longer existed on any map.
He was aware that his hands had rolled themselves into fists, but only because he could feel his carefully cared-for nails biting into his palms.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743254562, Paperback)

At one point in this final book of the Dark Tower series, the character Stephen King (added to the plot in Song of Susannah) looks back at the preceding pages and says "when this last book is published, the readers are going to be just wild." And he's not kidding.

After a journey through seven books and over 20 years, King's Constant Readers finally have the conclusion they've been both eagerly awaiting and silently dreading. The tension in the Dark Tower series has built steadily from the beginning and, like in the best of King's novels, explodes into a violent, heart-tugging climax as Roland and his ka-tet finally near their goal. The body count in The Dark Tower is high. The gunslingers come out shooting and face a host of enemies, including low men, mutants, vampires, Roland's hideous quasi-offspring Mordred, and the fearsome Crimson King himself. King pushes the gross-out factor at times--Roland's lesson on tanning (no, not sun tanning) is brutal--but the magic of the series remains strong and readers will feel the pull of the Tower as strongly as ever as the story draws to a close. During this sentimental journey, King ties up loose ends left hanging from the 15 non-series novels and stories that are deeply entwined in the fabric of Mid-World through characters like Randall Flagg (The Stand and others) or Father Callahan ('Salem's Lot). When it finally arrives, the long awaited conclusion will leave King's myriad fans satisfied but wishing there were still more to come.

In King's memoir On Writing, he tells of an old woman who wrote him after reading the early books in the Dark Tower series. She was dying, she said, and didn't expect to see the end of Roland's quest. Could King tell her? Does he reach the Tower? Does he save it? Sadly, King said he did not know himself, that the story was creating itself as it went along. Wherever that woman is now (the clearing at the end of the path, perhaps?), let's hope she has a copy of The Dark Tower. Surely she would agree it's been worth the wait. --Benjamin Reese

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:51 -0400)

The last in the series wherein Roland Deschain embarks upon his final quest in the search for the Dark Tower.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,761,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible