The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, Book 7) by…

The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, Book 7) (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Stephen King

Member:sarah.fabulous
Title:The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, Book 7)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Pocket Books (2006), Edition: Mass Paperback Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 1072 pages
Collections:Re-reading, Stephen King, Your library, To read, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:Dark Tower, gunslinger, western, science fiction, fantasy, post apocalyptic

The Dark Tower by Stephen King (2004)

audio (16) audiobook (24) dark fantasy (21) dark tower (417) ebook (34) epic (61) epic fantasy (22) fantasy (679) fantasy fiction (17) fiction (502) First Edition (20) gunslinger (48) hardcover (36) horror (326) King (53) novel (47) own (29) post-apocalyptic (39) quest (27) read (94) Roland (20) science fiction (94) series (120) sff (22) Stephen King (136) suspense (24) thriller (15) to-read (65) unread (43) western (90)

English (106)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (114)
"Now comes Roland to the Dark Tower! I have been true and I still carry the gun of my father and you will open to my hand!"
The end of the Dark Tower quest, and a good one, I say thankee! It was not the ending I expected, and that pleased me! It took Roland a lifetime, sai King 34 years, and me 35 days to reach the Tower, and I say we were well met indeed!
And still, "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."... ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jun 24, 2014 |
I am not sure how I feel about the ending of this series. Kind of pissed me off, but was kind of pleased by it too. Hard to say exactly how I felt, but I am glad I got through them all finally! ( )
  bookwormteri | Jun 5, 2014 |
great book ( )
  jsopcich | May 19, 2014 |
This is an exceptional series! It took me forever to start reading it. However once I started, I couldn't put it down.

King paints such great images in his stories. It really feels like you are being pulled into the story as well.

I would suggest this series to anyone who loves a great cliff hanger! ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

I would suggest this series to anyone who loves a great cliff hanger! ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
N 1970, when he was 22, Stephen King wrote a sentence he liked: ''The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'' It's an innocent sentence -- pulpy and suggestive -- but it grew to become a monster. As the first line in the ''Dark Tower'' series, it begins a story King intended to be the longest popular novel in history. With the publication of ''The Dark Tower VII,'' the series has topped the 4,000-page mark and, mercifully, reached its conclusion.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Michael Agger (Oct 17, 2004)

King's "The Dark Tower" is the culmination of a saga that spans 3,000 pages, seven primary volumes, at least 15 ancillary ones and more than three decades of effort on the part of its author.

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not hear? When noise was everywhere! it tolled / Increasing like a bell. Names in my ears / Of all the lost adventurers, my peers -- / How such a one was strong, and such was bold, / And such was fortunate, yet each of old / Lost, lost! one moment knelled the woe of years. // There they stood, ranged along the hillsides, met / To view the last of me, a living frame / For one more picture! In a sheet of flame / I saw them and I knew them all. And yet / Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set, / And blew. 'Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came.' -- Robert Browning, "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"
I was born / Six-gun in my hand, / behind a gun/ I'll make my final stand. -- Bad Company
What have I become? / My sweetest friend / Everyone I know / Goes away in the end / You could have it all / My empire of dirt / I will let you down / I will make you hurt. -- Trent Reznor
He who speaks without an attentive ear is mute. Therefore, Constant Reader, this final book in the Dark Tower cycle is dedicated to you. Long days and pleasant nights.
Pere Don Callahan had once been the Catholic priest of a town, 'Salem's Lot had been it's name, that no longer existed on any map.
He was aware that his hands had rolled themselves into fists, but only because he could feel his carefully cared-for nails biting into his palms.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743254562, Paperback)

At one point in this final book of the Dark Tower series, the character Stephen King (added to the plot in Song of Susannah) looks back at the preceding pages and says "when this last book is published, the readers are going to be just wild." And he's not kidding.

After a journey through seven books and over 20 years, King's Constant Readers finally have the conclusion they've been both eagerly awaiting and silently dreading. The tension in the Dark Tower series has built steadily from the beginning and, like in the best of King's novels, explodes into a violent, heart-tugging climax as Roland and his ka-tet finally near their goal. The body count in The Dark Tower is high. The gunslingers come out shooting and face a host of enemies, including low men, mutants, vampires, Roland's hideous quasi-offspring Mordred, and the fearsome Crimson King himself. King pushes the gross-out factor at times--Roland's lesson on tanning (no, not sun tanning) is brutal--but the magic of the series remains strong and readers will feel the pull of the Tower as strongly as ever as the story draws to a close. During this sentimental journey, King ties up loose ends left hanging from the 15 non-series novels and stories that are deeply entwined in the fabric of Mid-World through characters like Randall Flagg (The Stand and others) or Father Callahan ('Salem's Lot). When it finally arrives, the long awaited conclusion will leave King's myriad fans satisfied but wishing there were still more to come.

In King's memoir On Writing, he tells of an old woman who wrote him after reading the early books in the Dark Tower series. She was dying, she said, and didn't expect to see the end of Roland's quest. Could King tell her? Does he reach the Tower? Does he save it? Sadly, King said he did not know himself, that the story was creating itself as it went along. Wherever that woman is now (the clearing at the end of the path, perhaps?), let's hope she has a copy of The Dark Tower. Surely she would agree it's been worth the wait. --Benjamin Reese

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:35 -0400)

The last in the series wherein Roland Deschain embarks upon his final quest in the search for the Dark Tower.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible