Children of the Dust by Louise Lawrence

Children of the Dust (1985)

by Louise Lawrence

202958,111 (3.9)1 / 21

The nuclear war has begun. Who will survive and what kind of life will they be left with when the dust clears? This book follows one family that is split up as the bombs fall on Great Britain, and what happens when their descendents are reunited.

A great book on preparedness, adaptation, change and acceptance of that change and how we can make the best of a really bad thing. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |

CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
A book of ideas, the plot is a little too tidy and convenient as the book concentrates on the 'what-ifs?' of survival and society after all-out nuclear war. More interesting now as an example of young adult literature from a time when nuclear war was a very real fear. ( )
  Moomin_Mama | Jan 6, 2012 |
I have a great soft spot for apocalyptic teenage fiction, so was expecting to love this, surprised that I'd never read it when I was a teenager and devouring Brother in the Land and Z for Zachariah. There was lots in it I liked - the contrast between the survivors outside and the people leaving the bunker and the conflicts this created was a really interesting thought I hadn't seen done before. But as an adult reader it all felt a bit clumsy and laid on with a trowel - Sarah's 'I will die, but I will make sure Catherine lives' was far too resigned and prim and fatalistic for most teenage heroines. Likewise Simon's final acceptance that Laura and the mutants are a beautiful, better future. There's also a big dollop of 'God has a great plan which he is working out despite our idiocies' which probably appeals to some people more than others. ( )
1 vote atreic | Dec 3, 2011 |
When I read this book as a tween, it made a huge impression on me. In fact, I had nightmares for years afterwards. It took me a while to track this down as an adult, but I finally found a copy at my local op-shop. I was worried that it would seem corny or dull and flat after all these years, as childhood favourites often do, but my worry was wasted. While I wasn't left with nightmares this time around, I found the book as emotionally disturbing, engaging and thought-provoking as I did when I was a child. This is a definite must read for fans of the post-apocalyptic genre. ( )
  seldombites | Oct 12, 2011 |
For the children
That they may never know the dust
It was such a perfect day, a promise of summer with cloudless blue skies.

Publishers' blurb: After a nuclear war devastates the earth, a small band of people struggles for survival in a new world where children are born with strange mutations.

"There's only one thing worse than dying in a nuclear war and that's surviving," said Sarah bitterly. "Even if we live through the next fourteen days, there will be nothing left! Just ruins and radiation sickness...no one to help us, no means of living."

But Sarah is wrong. Out of the dust comes - in the end - new life, hope, and a golden vision of the future.

Cambridge Literature is a series of literary texts edited for study by students aged 14-18 in English-speaking classrooms. It will include novels, poetry, short stories, essays, travel-writing and other non-fiction. The series will be extensive and open-ended, and will provide school students with a range of edited texts taken from a wide geographical spread. It will include writing in English from various genres and differing times. Children of the Dust by Louise Lawrence is edited by Ron Middleton, Wargrave Piggott School, Reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:28 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible