Crow Boy by Taro Yashima

Crow Boy (original 1955; edition 2004)

by Taro Yashima

Member:Vue
Title:Crow Boy
Authors:Taro Yashima
Info:Live Oak Media (2004), Edition: Unabridged, Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:realistic fiction, acceptance, differences

Crow Boy by Taro Yashima (1955)

One thing Crow Boy does well is show its readers that Crow Boy isn't a bad person, but he is just a different person. Another strength of this book is how easily students will be able to compare the lives of the characters in the book to rural and suburban life in the United States. The book fosters some excellent talking points but may feel a little dated. ( )
  jmitra1 | Dec 2, 2014 |
I really liked this book. It showed many different things that children who are different experience when they are at school. They are bullied and misunderstood by others. I liked that in the book the teacher was the one who talked to the boy and get to know him for who he really was, someone who could imitate crow noises because he heard them everyday when he walked to school. This made him special and unique and the teacher saw that when no one else did. This reminded me of another book, Thank You, Mr. Falker, where the teacher is the one who sees the student for who they really are.

This book also shows what someone who live in a family that works in the farms or other places that are considered lower class. This book showed that even though the main character had to walk miles and miles to get to school he used that time to learn new things about the world around him, like the crow noises. When the students finally learned where Chibi came from and who he really was, then they really accepted him. ( )
  sreinh2 | Nov 29, 2014 |
I enjoyed this storybook because of the hatched illustrations and the contents similarities to something I experienced as a child. The story is about Chibi who had a scary first day when he hid under the schoolhouse. Due to this experience, Chibi is afraid of the teacher and trying to make friends so he passes time alone. Chibi plays alone, reads alone, and does many other activities alone. Chibi and his class have a visitor, Mr. Isobe, who helps the class understand Chibi’s determination to become educated. Chibi walked many miles listening to crows as he came to and from class to get educated not to make friends or be liked by others. The hatched illustrations within the story help the reader get a sense of Chibi’s character and how the other students feel about him. Having the hatched design and dark colors until the talent show displays to the reader Chibi’s loneliness. The contents of the story help to explain to the reader that isolation and indirect bullying happens in all cultures not just here in the US. It is also relatable for me since I watched my sister get isolated from people she thought were her friends just because she didn’t change her self to fit everyone else’s stereotypical teenager mold. The big idea of this story is to walk a mile in someone else’s shoes before judging them. ( )
  MelynnReadmond | Nov 5, 2014 |
I really liked this book. I think it is very unique, and really gets across the message of holding back judgment before you really know a person. The writing is clear and straightforward. The characters are relatable, but clearly described. The illustrations are different, but bring the story to life. It broadens perspective to people that differ from what we consider the norm, and allows for readers to think about their actions affect on others. ( )
  tburfe1 | Oct 20, 2014 |
The overall theme of this book is great. Children need to learn early on that they should not make fun of someone for being a little different, but to rather see the beauty in their differences. However I really did not enjoy the illustrations in this book, I found them to be scary.
If I were a child, I would be slightly scared to read this book because of the illustrations. The Crow Boy almost looks mutated, making him very odd. I would like to see this book remade with friendlier, happier illustrations that the students can relate to or enjoy looking at.
This book is a very good book to read aloud or to use in lessons that want to teach the students about always treating others with kindness. This can also teach students about determination. Crow Boy was determined to get an education, even if it meant walking miles to get there. I can see why this book won the Caldecott Honor Book.
  lfasce1 | Oct 20, 2014 |
To Mitsu and Momo who helped to make this book and to Takeo Isonaga who appears in the story as a teacher named Isobe.
On the first day of our village school in Japan, there was a boy missing.
He was afraid of the children and could name make friends with them at all.
Soon Chibi began to make his eyes cross-eyed, so that he was able not to see whatever he did not want to see.

"A shy mountain boy in Japan leaves his home at dawn and returns at sunset to go to the village school. Pictures and text of moving and harmonious simplicity".--Saturday Review. Caldecott Honor Book. Full-color illustrations.

Annotation
A lonely boy in a village school in Japan learned all the calls of the crows as he left his home at dawn and arrived home at sunset on schooldays. A Caldecott honor book.

A shy mountain boy in Japan is ridiculed by his schoolmates, but they stop when they understand why he is "different."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,363,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible