Crow Boy by Taro Yashima

Crow Boy (original 1955; edition 2004)

by Taro Yashima

Member:Vue
Title:Crow Boy
Authors:Taro Yashima
Info:Live Oak Media (2004), Edition: Unabridged, Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:realistic fiction, acceptance, differences

Crow Boy by Taro Yashima (1955)

I found the book, Crow Boy by Taro Yashima to be very interesting. The pencil sketch drawings are unique and different from most story books. I think this book also has an excellent lesson behind it to introduce to a classroom, that you do not know what someone goes through. For example, noone knew Chibi or Crow Boy on the level where they knew how far he traveled to get to school or to his house from school. ( )
  sconne7 | Sep 28, 2014 |
A fabulous find! Besides the fact that I typically love Caldecott Award winning books for their stunning illustrations that create synergy with the text, this book was a real life story. The illustrations showed the isolation and emotions that the boy was feeling as well as the taunting and anger that came from all of the kids that made fun of him. It was just a lovely story of a boy who was misunderstood when a new teacher came into his life to help open up other people's opinion of him. I think this book should be a required read for appropriate grades. ( )
  abrozi1 | Sep 26, 2014 |
In response to Taro Yashima's book, "Crow Boy," I have mixed messages as to whether or not I found this book one of my better reads. I think the central message of this work is a crucial aspect to make clear, especially in today's society. The central message was that having differences are okay, and everyone is special in their own particular way. I also believe that this book was trying to give a sense of disability awareness, and in my opinion, I give the author much credit as it is a sensitive subject to write and bring about, especially in a classroom of youngsters. What confused me was the particular difference that the main character in "Crow Boy" obtains. Right from the beginning he is portrayed as an unusually quiet, funny acting type of kid. So naturally, I imagined his peculiar way of acting was due to a special need or disability of some sort. What boggled my mind was the ending! The boy was acting differently, and mocking crows, all due to his sense of isolation from where he lived. He lived father than all the other school children, and lived among many crows. I could see someone being isolated in school due to this situation, but I do not particularly believe that this promotes disability awareness. Overall, I thought the book was smooth sailing but didn't close the case, per say, by the end of the book, and therefore this book was not one of my favorites. ( )
  Skaide1 | Sep 23, 2014 |
"A shy mountain boy in Japan leaves his home at dawn and returns at sunset to go to the village school. Pictures and text of moving and harmonious simplicity."--Saturday Review. Caldecott Honor Book. Full-color illustrations."
from amazon
  lexibaldwin | Dec 5, 2013 |
From wikipedia
  lexibaldwin | Dec 5, 2013 |
To Mitsu and Momo who helped to make this book and to Takeo Isonaga who appears in the story as a teacher named Isobe.
On the first day of our village school in Japan, there was a boy missing.
He was afraid of the children and could name make friends with them at all.
Soon Chibi began to make his eyes cross-eyed, so that he was able not to see whatever he did not want to see.

"A shy mountain boy in Japan leaves his home at dawn and returns at sunset to go to the village school. Pictures and text of moving and harmonious simplicity".--Saturday Review. Caldecott Honor Book. Full-color illustrations.

Annotation
A lonely boy in a village school in Japan learned all the calls of the crows as he left his home at dawn and arrived home at sunset on schooldays. A Caldecott honor book.

A shy mountain boy in Japan is ridiculed by his schoolmates, but they stop when they understand why he is "different."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,981,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible