Crow Boy by Taro Yashima

Crow Boy (original 1955; edition 2004)

by Taro Yashima

Member:Vue
Title:Crow Boy
Authors:Taro Yashima
Info:Live Oak Media (2004), Edition: Unabridged, Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:realistic fiction, acceptance, differences

Crow Boy by Taro Yashima (1955)

I enjoyed this storybook because of the hatched illustrations and the contents similarities to something I experienced as a child. The story is about Chibi who had a scary first day when he hid under the schoolhouse. Due to this experience, Chibi is afraid of the teacher and trying to make friends so he passes time alone. Chibi plays alone, reads alone, and does many other activities alone. Chibi and his class have a visitor, Mr. Isobe, who helps the class understand Chibi’s determination to become educated. Chibi walked many miles listening to crows as he came to and from class to get educated not to make friends or be liked by others. The hatched illustrations within the story help the reader get a sense of Chibi’s character and how the other students feel about him. Having the hatched design and dark colors until the talent show displays to the reader Chibi’s loneliness. The contents of the story help to explain to the reader that isolation and indirect bullying happens in all cultures not just here in the US. It is also relatable for me since I watched my sister get isolated from people she thought were her friends just because she didn’t change her self to fit everyone else’s stereotypical teenager mold. The big idea of this story is to walk a mile in someone else’s shoes before judging them. ( )
  MelynnReadmond | Nov 5, 2014 |
I really liked this book. I think it is very unique, and really gets across the message of holding back judgment before you really know a person. The writing is clear and straightforward. The characters are relatable, but clearly described. The illustrations are different, but bring the story to life. It broadens perspective to people that differ from what we consider the norm, and allows for readers to think about their actions affect on others. ( )
  tburfe1 | Oct 20, 2014 |
The overall theme of this book is great. Children need to learn early on that they should not make fun of someone for being a little different, but to rather see the beauty in their differences. However I really did not enjoy the illustrations in this book, I found them to be scary.
If I were a child, I would be slightly scared to read this book because of the illustrations. The Crow Boy almost looks mutated, making him very odd. I would like to see this book remade with friendlier, happier illustrations that the students can relate to or enjoy looking at.
This book is a very good book to read aloud or to use in lessons that want to teach the students about always treating others with kindness. This can also teach students about determination. Crow Boy was determined to get an education, even if it meant walking miles to get there. I can see why this book won the Caldecott Honor Book.
  lfasce1 | Oct 20, 2014 |
I thought this book was very lovely. At first it reminded me of "Thank you Mr. Falker" because they thought Chibi was slow, and he kept to himself. I loved how towards the end of the book there was a reason for Chibi keeping to himself, and it helped him make friends. The new teacher in this book reminded me of Mr, Falker. I found it interesting how he came to school every day, even though people teased him. By keeping to himself he learned a lot about nature. No one knew his true struggle which I personally didn't realize either. I liked how at the end everyone at the school could picture where he lived on the mountain top and felt his emotion. He was dedicated about getting an education. This book taught children to never judge a book by it's cover. The illustrations were bright and simple. This book also teaches children about bullying and how it is wrong. It's a nice multicultural book and shows how the Japanese culture works especially with young children in school. The grammar in the story is easy to read and follow along with. I liked how there were a good amount of pages and not that many sentences on each page. It kept me entertained and focused. ( )
  lgrube4 | Oct 20, 2014 |
Crow Boy
Bryan O'Keeffe

I really had a hard time enjoying this book. Mainly because I felt the story was not good. I understand the story was simply about a boy who was special needs in a time that no help was given to them. That was extremely sad and unfortunate and really made the story believable and like this boy really existed. The illustrations were done to a mediocre standard on my part. I think that the illustrator wanted the illustrations to feel Japanese; but I think they fell a little short. They seemed to distract from the story than to help it. The writing was clear and easy to understand which helped the story flow really well. The only part of the book I enjoyed was seeing years into the future and that the crow boy was successful in life. He was able to go to the market on his own and help his family. As well as knew all about the flowers and birds when his class went on a walk. Which shows the message of the story really well; do not let anything drag you down in life and not able to succeed. ( )
  bokeef2 | Oct 17, 2014 |
To Mitsu and Momo who helped to make this book and to Takeo Isonaga who appears in the story as a teacher named Isobe.
On the first day of our village school in Japan, there was a boy missing.
He was afraid of the children and could name make friends with them at all.
Soon Chibi began to make his eyes cross-eyed, so that he was able not to see whatever he did not want to see.

"A shy mountain boy in Japan leaves his home at dawn and returns at sunset to go to the village school. Pictures and text of moving and harmonious simplicity".--Saturday Review. Caldecott Honor Book. Full-color illustrations.

Annotation
A lonely boy in a village school in Japan learned all the calls of the crows as he left his home at dawn and arrived home at sunset on schooldays. A Caldecott honor book.

A shy mountain boy in Japan is ridiculed by his schoolmates, but they stop when they understand why he is "different."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,919,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible