The death and Life of Superman by Roger…

The death and Life of Superman (edition 1993)

by Roger Stern

Member:irapearson
Title:The death and Life of Superman
Authors:Roger Stern
Info:Bantam (1993), Hardcover
Rating:**
Tags:Fiction

The Death and Life of Superman by Roger Stern

This book takes the saga of "The Death of Superman", "Funeral for a Friend", "Reign of the Supermen", and "The Return of Superman", which appeared in comic book form in the mid 80's, and turns it to light reading.

The story starts slow, does not have the "punch" of the comic book stories, but picks up pace towards the end. I was a bit disappointed because it seemed to me that the author just looked at the pictures of the comic books, and turned them into words, without adding any new insight. ( )
  ZoharLaor | Jan 6, 2010 |
First let me say that my husband talked me into reading this book; I generally do not enjoy superhero fantasy novels. I've never been a reader of comic books, and other than film adaptations, my prior knowledge of Superman was practically nil. The story begins with a brief background of Superman, including his arrival on Earth, his life, loves, and death at the hands of Doomsday. The majority of the book focuses on the time after his death, where several imposters try to take his place. Who are the imposters, and are they really imposters? Did Superman really die? These are all questions answered in the action-filled plot. While mildly entertaining, the writing was downright cheesy and amateurish. The dialogue was terrible. It was unrealistic, full of stereotypes, and felt very dated, not to mention the "cringe worthiness" of the many one-liners. For being easy reading, it took me awhile to get through this; it just couldn't maintain my interest. When I do choose to read a fantasy book, I want the story to feel real, like it *could* really happen, but this novel did not accomplish that for me. ( )
  Katie_H | Feb 18, 2008 |
Stern produced quite a good novel out of all the hoo-hah surrounding this DC comics publicity stunt.

He takes the whole saga from the comics, and retells the story of Doomsday arriving and plowing through first the Justice League, then Superman.

Then you see how the world reacts to the death of their premier hero, and what happens when multiple other 'supermen' try and replace him.

http://superprose.blogspot.com/2006/11/superman-death-and-life-of-superman.html ( )
  bluetyson | Nov 18, 2006 |

Is an adaptation of

It was as dark as pitch, the place where he awoke, and the air was stale.

"Superman-dead!"--The Daily  Planet. On November 18, 1992, news of  Superman's death shocked the world as the legendary  Man of steel was killed defending Metropolis from  the monster called Doomsday. Here at last is the  dramatic story behind the best-selling comic book  of all time: the fates of Clark Kent, Lois Lane,  Ma and Pa Kent, the Justice League, and the reign  of the four super-beings who mysteriously appeared  after Superman's funeral, each claiming to be the  real Last Son of Krypton. And finally, here is  the complete incredible story of Superman's  triumphant retum! In this thrilling novel, Roger Stern, a  veteran writer of Action  Comics, chronicles the most amazing comeback in comic  book history--told with more gripping detail and  background than ever before.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:33 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,698,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible