The Local News: A Novel by Miriam Gershow

The Local News: A Novel

by Miriam Gershow

This is a weird book... a little nerd girl's older brother goes missing and that's about it. Later, you find out what happened to the brother, but that's not even the end of the novel and the stuff that comes after that doesn't even matter. In fact, the whole book doesn't matter. It was cliched and boring on almost every single page. ( )
  TeenieLee | Apr 3, 2013 |
Miriam Gershow brings the lives of those tragic, strained faces seen too frequently on television who plead for information about a missing child. In pain-staking detail Gershow chronicles the reality behind the headlines and the new clips that the Pasternak family experiences after the disappearance of Danny, the “golden” child of the family. Bookish, awkward Lydia, the younger sister, wryly describes the disintegration of routine, her parent’s crumbling marriage and the desperate need for answers. Lydia finds herself suddenly sought out by her brother’s jock friends and befriended by an extremely extroverted classmate. As Lydia recounts family interactions and the treatment Danny both received and gave the reader comes to understand that this family’s brokenness occurred long before Danny disappeared. The realistic portrayal of this family often makes for uncomfortable reading and yet I felt compelled to continue to attend and not look away. ( )
  kellyn | Jun 30, 2011 |
The main character, Lydia, grabbed me from the first page. Her brother is missing, she is forgotten, she must now raise herself. ( )
  susanjoyce | Apr 8, 2010 |
A WOW book. Loved the relationships and the complexity.
  shazjhb | Mar 28, 2010 |
Interesting, with a likeable main character, but slow moving. I wanted more to happen faster, and once we find out what really happened to Danny I didn't care what happened after that. ( )
  trishhartman | Feb 9, 2010 |
To Rebecca & To Jordan
After my brother went missing, my parents let me use their car whenever I wanted, even thought I only had a learner's permit.

A deeply moving story of the complicated bond between brother and sister

“Going missing was the only interesting thing my brother had ever done.”
Even a decade later, the memories of the year Lydia Pasternak turned sixteen continue to haunt her. As a teenager, Lydia lived in her older brother’s shadow. While Danny’s athletic skills and good looks established his place with the popular set at school, Lydia’s smarts relegated her to the sidelines, where she rolled her eyes at her brother and his meathead friends and suffered his casual cruelty with resigned bewilderment. Though a part of her secretly wished for a return of the easy friendship she and Danny shared as children, another part of her wished Danny would just vanish. And then, one night, he did.
In the year following Danny Pasternak’s disappearance, his parents go off the rails, his town buzzes with self-indulgent mourning, and his little sister Lydia finds herself thrust into unwanted celebrity, forced to negotiate her ambivalent—often grudging—grief for a brother she did not particularly like. Suddenly embraced by Danny’s old crowd, forgotten by her parents, and drawn into the missing person investigation by her family’s intriguing private eye, Lydia both blossoms and struggles to find herself during Danny’s absence. But when a trail of clues leads to a shocking outcome in her brother’s case, the teenaged Lydia and the adult she will become are irrevocably changed, even now as she reluctantly prepares to return to her hometown.

Relentlessly gripping, often funny, and profoundly moving, The Local News is a powerful exploration of the fraught relationship between a brother and sister and how our siblings define who we are.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:47 -0400)

Bright, precocious but socially awkward Lydia Pasternak reports on the aftermath of her older brother's disappearance. Danny was everything Lydia wasn't: at ease with their parents, popular in school, physically imposing, beloved by the opposite sex. Danny went from being Lydia's playmate in their youth to her tormentor in high school, so his disappearance leaves Lydia with some very mixed feelings, one of which is relief. As time goes on and the weekend search parties prove more and more fruitless, Lydia struggles with the fact that her geeky best friend, David, has feelings for her; she also obsesses over the private investigator hired by the family and allows herself to be sucked into the social world Danny once dominated.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,134,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible