Downbelow Station. by C. J. Cherryh
Member:bsima
Title:Downbelow Station.
Authors:C. J. Cherryh
Other authors:Nigel (Jacket) Hills (Illustrator)
Info:Severn House (1985), Edition: New Ed, Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:***

Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh (1981)

English (50)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All (52)
There are better longer reviews of this book in Goodreads read them if you want a detailed analysis of the book. The basic premise of the story is that Earth and trading company jointly started to explore i and commercially exploit the great beyond. Trade was done at larger space stations and research bases around mostly empty worlds. Finally earth like worlds were discovered with life on them. There was mass migration out of the solar system and colonies were set up. At first trade between Earth and the colonies prospered then the colonies became independent of Earth. Earth at first fought to to retain control. She sent fleets to force her will and control. Then she abandoned support of her fleets without calling them back.. The last Fleet effectively became an independent force fighting for its own survival relying on the now independent stations, who wanted to remain neutral in this war, for support while continuing fight the fleets of the colonies.The book is the story of how the fleet of Earth the colonies and the independent stations dealt with their new reality. The for focuses on the last independent station circling a planet named Pell. I enjoyed the book as a good summer read. The story has its fill of of spies double agents , aliens and refugees. What I did not like were the passages that dealt mostly with the aliens. Those passages were badly written and did not add to the movement of the story. Beyond that flaw this was good space opera. ( )
  Cataloger623 | Nov 23, 2016 |
After reading my first novel by Cherryh, Foreigner, resulting in mixed thoughts, I wanted to try another. I chose Downbelow Station because it is her most-lauded work. As with Foreigner, it took me at least half way through to get hooked, and even after that, I would set the book down for long stretches of time. This is a conundrum because I enjoyed the book, found the story intricate, intriguing, and well-told, and the characters complex, complete, and tangible. Several scenes even gave me the physical chills. So why did I have a hard time finishing this novel?
Perhaps it is because so much of the story is political maneuvering or the running internal dialogue of the characters? Perhaps because the action doesn’t start until near the end and the first two-thirds of the book is set-up for the bloody last third? Either way, I’m tempted to say it’s a characteristic of Cherryh, but I would need to read at least two more of her novels to really say with certainty. Cherryh’s strength is her characters. They have a complexity rare in fiction, one that as an aspiring writer, I must learn. In particular, her character Signy Mallory, will stay with me as a favorite, not just in Cherryh’s universe, but from any book I’ve read.
As with Foreigner, I finished this book certain that this is a well-told story, one worth the accolades, and one I will recommend. ( )
  empress8411 | Sep 17, 2016 |
Every time I turn around this is recommended to me, or to 'everyone.' And every time I look at description and reviews, I think, no, it's not my kind of book. Well, finally I picked it up. And no, it's not my kind of book. Right on the jacket of this edition the prominent words are 'war' 'ambition' 'conflict.' Inside are 'intrigue' 'allegiances.' I still tried to read it, but only got to page 27. I know that's not very far, but *I don't want to read this.*

There is such a thing as a rich, thoughtful, adult novel that isn't so heavy, so filled with war & politics, or dysfunction & abuse. I've read a few, and I'm always looking for more if you have recommendations.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
The writing was not very good; she doesn't make it clear what she is trying to say. I was over 200 pages into the book before it got interesting. ( )
  Foghorn-Leghorn | Jun 5, 2016 |
As I write up comments on books I've read in the last little while but left lying around my desk instead of blogging and filing, I find this book sitting there taunting me. I really wanted to like this book, I was quite excited when I bought it. However, Its Cherryh at her worst -- wordy and kind of goes nowhere. There's an interesting idea here, but the book needs to be half its current length. I got half way through and gave up. A disappointment.

http://www.stillhq.com/book/C_J_Cherryh/Downbelow_Station.html ( )

Reiman, JuditTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schichtel, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wollheim, Donald A.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Earth and Outwards: 2005 - 2352

The stars, like all man's other ventures, were an obvious impracticality, as rash and improbable an ambition as the first venture of man onto Earth's own great oceans, or into the air, or into space.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756400597, Mass Market Paperback)

A legend among sci-fi readers, C. J. Cherryh's Union-Alliance novels, while separate and complete in themselves, are part of a much larger tapestry—a future history spanning 5,000 years of human civilization.

Here is the 20th anniversary edition of Downbelow Station, the book that won Cherryh a Hugo Award for Best novel in 1982. A blockbuster space opera of the rebellion between Earth and its far-flung colonies, it is a classic science fiction masterwork.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:12 -0400)

The station at Pell's Star, traditionally neutral, holds the key to victory in a struggle between the decaying stellar empire of Earth and the rebel forces of the colonies

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,787,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible