Downbelow Station. by C. J. Cherryh
Member:bsima
Title:Downbelow Station.
Authors:C. J. Cherryh
Other authors:Nigel (Jacket) Hills (Illustrator)
Info:Severn House (1985), Edition: New Ed, Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:***

Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh (1981)

English (46)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (48)
As I write up comments on books I've read in the last little while but left lying around my desk instead of blogging and filing, I find this book sitting there taunting me. I really wanted to like this book, I was quite excited when I bought it. However, Its Cherryh at her worst -- wordy and kind of goes nowhere. There's an interesting idea here, but the book needs to be half its current length. I got half way through and gave up. A disappointment.

http://www.stillhq.com/book/C_J_Cherryh/Downbelow_Station.html ( )
  mikal | Mar 16, 2016 |
This one started off really slow for me. After beginning with one of my least favorite things; an info-dump, it then took nearly a third of the book for me to connect with the characters. I persevered, slowly slogging my way through and then... I gradually came to realize that my difficulty with relating to the characters was due to the masterful way Cherryh was developing those characters and their various parts of the story. There is no doubt that Cherryh is a challenging author. She does not spoon-feed a plot to the reader. Rather, she intimates and alludes via dialog, slowly filling in the blanks until the focus shifts into clarity. The reason I had trouble was that Cherryh was playing with the good guy/bad guy setup. Upon first meeting, it was nearly impossible for me to tell who I was supposed to be rooting for and who to hiss at. At about the halfway point, plot and characters were settling into place quite nicely - and then she still surprised me with where things ended up. From beginning to end, this book went from a 2-star to a solid 4-star read for me. I don't know why I was doubting Cherryh's ability to bring me around... I should know better. ( )
1 vote ScoLgo | Mar 9, 2016 |
I got 76% through this and just can't bear to keep trying to read it. The basic premise is fantastic: the under-supported Earth Company Fleet battles the unending waves of Union's brainwashed clones. The Fleet is pushed further and further back, until at last the battle reaches the space station orbiting Pell. Pell's station tries to remain neutral while both sides try to take it over.

I love this idea! It's like DS9 mashed up with Tolkein. But I found the execution so lacking that I couldn't enjoy a single chapter. First of all, Pell's native creatures, the hisa, talk like this: "'You safe come here. Love you. Bennett-man, he teach we dream human dreams; now you come we teach you hisa dreams. We love you.'" They think like retarded children's toys, dividing everyone up into good and bad, but they don't seem alien at all. They're basically a mash-up of adorable teddy bears with Native American stereotypes. Every time they're on the page, my brain revolted.

Second of all, a large proportion of the story concerns Josh, a Union soldier captured by the Fleet and eventually turned over the space station on Pell. Damon and Elena take him in and feel super-duper sorry for him. He's a fucking enemy soldier! On the very same station, at the very same time, that they're petting him and denouncing the Fleet for being mean to him, neutral civilians are being raped, brutalized and murdered. But somehow they don't merit nearly sympathy or help as the angelically beautiful Josh. This relates to my other big problem with the book: my sympathies lay completely and utterly with the Fleet, who are hard-ass underdogs fighting a losing war for no pay or respect. They are literally Pell's only defense against the Union armies. So every time Damon et al try to prevent the Fleet from taking food or supplies from the station, or sabotage the Fleet's technologies, I can only wonder at their selfish short-sightedness. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I've given up on this book for the time being; I was halfway through, put it down, and then realized I hadn't picked it back up in a week and hadn't missed it, which is a flashing neon warning sign that it's not worth the work to finish it. Might come back to it sometime since it's been suggested that it's such a pivotal work of fiction, but I dunno. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |
Blah. I'm almost 200 pages in, and I care about exactly none of the characters. Okay, maybe I like Satin. But that is it. Rather disappointing, but I am just not willing to slog my way through a boring, tedious book when I have a huge To Read list sitting on my desk. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |

C. J. Cherryhprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaughan, JackIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, David B.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Earth and Outwards: 2005 - 2352

The stars, like all man's other ventures, were an obvious impracticality, as rash and improbable an ambition as the first venture of man onto Earth's own great oceans, or into the air, or into space.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756400597, Mass Market Paperback)

A legend among sci-fi readers, C. J. Cherryh's Union-Alliance novels, while separate and complete in themselves, are part of a much larger tapestry—a future history spanning 5,000 years of human civilization.

Here is the 20th anniversary edition of Downbelow Station, the book that won Cherryh a Hugo Award for Best novel in 1982. A blockbuster space opera of the rebellion between Earth and its far-flung colonies, it is a classic science fiction masterwork.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:12 -0400)

The station at Pell's Star, traditionally neutral, holds the key to victory in a struggle between the decaying stellar empire of Earth and the rebel forces of the colonies

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,252,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible