Downbelow Station. by C. J. Cherryh
Member:bsima
Title:Downbelow Station.
Authors:C. J. Cherryh
Other authors:Nigel (Jacket) Hills (Illustrator)
Info:Severn House (1985), Edition: New Ed, Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:***

Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh (1981)

English (49)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (51)
After reading my first novel by Cherryh, Foreigner, resulting in mixed thoughts, I wanted to try another. I chose Downbelow Station because it is her most-lauded work. As with Foreigner, it took me at least half way through to get hooked, and even after that, I would set the book down for long stretches of time. This is a conundrum because I enjoyed the book, found the story intricate, intriguing, and well-told, and the characters complex, complete, and tangible. Several scenes even gave me the physical chills. So why did I have a hard time finishing this novel?
Perhaps it is because so much of the story is political maneuvering or the running internal dialogue of the characters? Perhaps because the action doesn’t start until near the end and the first two-thirds of the book is set-up for the bloody last third? Either way, I’m tempted to say it’s a characteristic of Cherryh, but I would need to read at least two more of her novels to really say with certainty. Cherryh’s strength is her characters. They have a complexity rare in fiction, one that as an aspiring writer, I must learn. In particular, her character Signy Mallory, will stay with me as a favorite, not just in Cherryh’s universe, but from any book I’ve read.
As with Foreigner, I finished this book certain that this is a well-told story, one worth the accolades, and one I will recommend. ( )
  empress8411 | Sep 17, 2016 |
Every time I turn around this is recommended to me, or to 'everyone.' And every time I look at description and reviews, I think, no, it's not my kind of book. Well, finally I picked it up. And no, it's not my kind of book. Right on the jacket of this edition the prominent words are 'war' 'ambition' 'conflict.' Inside are 'intrigue' 'allegiances.' I still tried to read it, but only got to page 27. I know that's not very far, but *I don't want to read this.*

There is such a thing as a rich, thoughtful, adult novel that isn't so heavy, so filled with war & politics, or dysfunction & abuse. I've read a few, and I'm always looking for more if you have recommendations.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
The writing was not very good; she doesn't make it clear what she is trying to say. I was over 200 pages into the book before it got interesting. ( )
  Foghorn-Leghorn | Jun 5, 2016 |
As I write up comments on books I've read in the last little while but left lying around my desk instead of blogging and filing, I find this book sitting there taunting me. I really wanted to like this book, I was quite excited when I bought it. However, Its Cherryh at her worst -- wordy and kind of goes nowhere. There's an interesting idea here, but the book needs to be half its current length. I got half way through and gave up. A disappointment.

http://www.stillhq.com/book/C_J_Cherryh/Downbelow_Station.html ( )
  mikal | Mar 16, 2016 |
This one started off really slow for me. After beginning with one of my least favorite things; an info-dump, it then took nearly a third of the book for me to connect with the characters. I persevered, slowly slogging my way through and then... I gradually came to realize that my difficulty with relating to the characters was due to the masterful way Cherryh was developing those characters and their various parts of the story. There is no doubt that Cherryh is a challenging author. She does not spoon-feed a plot to the reader. Rather, she intimates and alludes via dialog, slowly filling in the blanks until the focus shifts into clarity. The reason I had trouble was that Cherryh was playing with the good guy/bad guy setup. Upon first meeting, it was nearly impossible for me to tell who I was supposed to be rooting for and who to hiss at. At about the halfway point, plot and characters were settling into place quite nicely - and then she still surprised me with where things ended up. From beginning to end, this book went from a 2-star to a solid 4-star read for me. I don't know why I was doubting Cherryh's ability to bring me around... I should know better. ( )
1 vote ScoLgo | Mar 9, 2016 |

Reiman, JuditTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schichtel, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wollheim, Donald A.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Earth and Outwards: 2005 - 2352

The stars, like all man's other ventures, were an obvious impracticality, as rash and improbable an ambition as the first venture of man onto Earth's own great oceans, or into the air, or into space.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756400597, Mass Market Paperback)

A legend among sci-fi readers, C. J. Cherryh's Union-Alliance novels, while separate and complete in themselves, are part of a much larger tapestry—a future history spanning 5,000 years of human civilization.

Here is the 20th anniversary edition of Downbelow Station, the book that won Cherryh a Hugo Award for Best novel in 1982. A blockbuster space opera of the rebellion between Earth and its far-flung colonies, it is a classic science fiction masterwork.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:12 -0400)

The station at Pell's Star, traditionally neutral, holds the key to victory in a struggle between the decaying stellar empire of Earth and the rebel forces of the colonies

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,262,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible