Downbelow Station. by C. J. Cherryh
Member:bsima
Title:Downbelow Station.
Authors:C. J. Cherryh
Other authors:Nigel (Jacket) Hills (Illustrator)
Info:Severn House (1985), Edition: New Ed, Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:***

Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh (1981)

aliens (17) Alliance-Union (40) alliance-union universe (43) Cherryh (23) Company Wars (37) DAW (11) Easton Press (20) ebook (11) fiction (146) hardcover (11) Hugo (24) Hugo Award (21) hugo winner (32) mmpb (12) novel (34) paperback (20) read (23) science fiction (484) series (13) sf (132) sff (52) signed (9) space (13) space opera (36) space station (10) space travel (12) speculative fiction (11) to-read (31) unread (16) war (16)

English (37)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (39)
DNF! Did not finish! This book involved two things I'm not really into: politics, and war. It mentions war in the book summary, but I was hoping for a star wars-ish, shoot-em up space battle of sorts. Personally, it was just too involved, too many characters, and too much descriptive stuff. Not my style. I gave it about 100 pages, but no more. After an internet search, I found that people either love, or just can't stand this book. Well, put me in the latter. And without getting too much more descriptive myself: didn't like it. Sorry C. J. "So many books, So little time." Moving on to the next... ( )
  DaveLancaster | Apr 3, 2014 |
Her classic work and best example of her writing skills. Here is a good place to start if you've read nothing else of Cherryh. If you like this, you'll like much else that she's written. If not, go no further.

I just finished rereading this. Once again, I'm impressed with her skill in creating a page turner. And with her imagination. Her contemporary work is even better. ( )
  KirkLowery | Mar 4, 2014 |
One of my favorite scifi novels of all time. Cherryh gives a vivid portrayal of the conflict, claustrophobia & chaos on the station as events play out. Also, I very much like how she writes strong female characters. They're not over-the-top substitutions for males & are instead wholly believable as women, flawed & all. ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |
This book details a number of people's stories at the time of the (apparent) fall of Pell Station, a fictional space station in a star system close to Earth. For much of the book, the setting reminded me a little of the fall of Constantinople--the assailants were human but very foreign, the allies cared more about the war in general than the city itself, and the fall was pretty much inevitable from an economic standpoint. The author presents us with a lot of different perspectives here, some more likable than others, but together they paint a vivid picture of the myriad factions and their machinations surrounding this event. I was pretty surprised by the ending, as the author presents a "third option", and while I enjoyed how it tied everything up neatly, I'm not entirely convinced that the characters' motivations as written were enough to precipitate it (I'm looking at you, Mallory). ( )
  Phrim | Dec 17, 2013 |
Painfully made it about 100 pages into this, dull as hell... ( )
1 vote Georges_T._Dodds | Mar 30, 2013 |

C. J. Cherryhprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaughan, JackIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, David B.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Earth and Outwards: 2005 - 2352

The stars, like all man's other ventures, were an obvious impracticality, as rash and improbable an ambition as the first venture of man onto Earth's own great oceans, or into the air, or into space.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756400597, Mass Market Paperback)

A legend among sci-fi readers, C. J. Cherryh's Union-Alliance novels, while separate and complete in themselves, are part of a much larger tapestry—a future history spanning 5,000 years of human civilization.

Here is the 20th anniversary edition of Downbelow Station, the book that won Cherryh a Hugo Award for Best novel in 1982. A blockbuster space opera of the rebellion between Earth and its far-flung colonies, it is a classic science fiction masterwork.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:55 -0400)

The station at Pell's Star, traditionally neutral, holds the key to victory in a struggle between the decaying stellar empire of Earth and the rebel forces of the colonies

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,598,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible