The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

The Good Earth (edition 1994)

by Pearl S. Buck

9,902202286 (4.05)531
Member:Jopuc
Title:The Good Earth
Authors:Pearl S. Buck
Info:Cornelsen (1994), Paperback, 105 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: A Novel by Lisa See (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Both are well-written novels set in late 19th/early 20th century China.
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (John_Vaughan)
    East of Eden by John Steinbeck (John_Vaughan)
    Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (Ellen_Elizabeth)
    Ellen_Elizabeth: Another classic, historical fiction novel that explores a traditional culture through the story of one man and his family. Both were written in English and illustrate the author's perceived strengths and weaknesses of the subject culture in a way that is accessible to western readers.… (more)
    Dragon Seed by Pearl S. Buck (deeyes)
    deeyes: Dragon seed is similar but better pearl buck book
    Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang (ominogue)
    The Plum in the Golden Vase or, Chin P'ing Mei: Vol. 1, The Gathering by Lanling Xiaoxiao Sheng (pseudonym) (orangewords)
    Satan in Goray by Isaac Bashevis Singer (SanctiSpiritus)
    The Pearl by John Steinbeck (Authoress)
    Authoress: Families who go through times of both wealth and poverty are featured in both works
    The City of Joy by Dominique Lapierre (orangewords)
    Growth of the Soil by Knut Hamsun (thatguyzero)
    Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh (jennyl.keen)
    The Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh (ominogue)
1930s (36)

English (193)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  English (1)  English (203)
At first this was in interesting story. The characters, their way of life, and socioeconomic conditions were so exotic that I couldn't put the book down. I looked past the main character's treatment of his wife and daughter in an attempt to not be ethnocentric. But it fell apart for me when he bought a 14 year old sex slave. I finished it, but only because I hoped something terrible would happen to him. ( )
  ladonna37 | Nov 2, 2016 |
At first, I really didn't think I'd like this book. Realizing Pearl S. Buck was an American white woman, I was immediately insulted for Chinese (American) readers and wanted to drop it for a more authentic novel. However, I decided to stick with it, and was gladly satisfied that I did.

A beautiful tale of a Chinese man living in the pre-industrial/Communist country. I loved the way Buck worked around the constraints she faced with the treatment of women and how she managed to give them somewhat meaningful lives when the men around them controlled all of their actions.

This is definitely worth reading, especially for lovers of classics and/or historical fiction about China. ( )
  cemagoc | Aug 8, 2016 |
'a voice deeper than love cried out in him for his land'
By sally tarbox on 31 July 2012
Format: Paperback
The book opens with a poor farmer's son going to collect his bride- a homely slave girl from the big house.Written in a poetic style, reminiscent of the Scriptures or of a fairy tale, we follow the couple as they work doggedly on their fields, eventually buying up other properties and rising in status.
Life brings good and bad - famine, trouble with the neighbours, family discord and in the background (though barely noticed by the rural community) the Revolution.
Beautifully written and very sad. ( )
  starbox | Jul 10, 2016 |
I first read this many years ago and what stuck with me was the extreme cultural bias against females. And on re-reading that is still what stood out the most. I wish I could get past this and read it as the story of an individual's bond to the land or as a historical view of Chinese culture. But I can't. My heart ached for O-lan. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
An unexpectedly good read, i cried buckets at the death of the wife. So good and so quiet, the husband knows how to appreciate her and mourns her loss. ( )
  siok | Jun 5, 2016 |

Pearl S. Buckprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malling, LivTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mendes, OscarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mulder de Dauner, ElisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...This was what Vinteuil had done for the little phrase. Swann felt that the composer had been content (with the instruments at his disposal) to draw aside its veil, to make it visible, following and respecting its outlines with a hand so loving, so prudent, so delicate and so sure, that the sound altered at every moment, blunting itself to indicate a shadow, springing back into life when it must follow the curve of some more bold projection. And one proof that Swann was not mistaken when believed in the real existence of this phrase was that anyone with an ear at all delicate for music would have at once detected the imposture had Vinteuil, endowed with less power to see and to render its forms, sought to dissemble (by adding a line, here and there, of his own invention) the dimness of his vision or the feebleness of his hand. -- Swann's Way, by Marcel Proust
It was Wang Lung's marriage day.
He had no articulate thought of anything; there was only this perfect sympathy of movement, of turning this earth of theirs over and over to the sun, this earth which formed their home and fed their bodies and made their gods. The earth lay rich and dark, and fell apart lightly under the points of their hoes, Sometimes they turned up a bit of brick, a splinter of wood. It was nothing. Sometimes, in some age, bodies of men and women had been buried there, houses had stood there, had fallen, and gone back into the earth. So would also their house, sometime, return into the earth, their bodies also. Each had his turn at this earth. They worked on, moving together – together – producing the fruit of this earth – speechless in their movement together.
…he said nothing still, she looked at him piteously and sadly out of her strange dumb eyes that were like a beast’s eyes that cannot speak, and then she went away, creeping and feeling for the door because of her tears that blinded her.

Wang Lung watched her as she went and he was glad to be alone, but still he was ashamed and he was still angry that he was ashamed, and he said to himself, and he muttered the words aloud and restlessly, as though he quarreled with someone, “Well, and other men are so and I have been good enough to her, and there are men worse than I.” And he said at last that O-lan must bear it.
My house and my land it is, and if it were not for the land we should all starve as the others did, and you could not walk about in your dainty robes idle as a scholar. It is the good land that has made you something better than a farmer’s lad.

Pearl S. Buck's epic

Pulitzer Prize-winning novel of a China that was

-- now in a Contemporary Classics

edition.

Though more than sixty years have passed

since this remarkable novel won the Pulitzer

Prize, it has retained its popularity and become

one of the great modern classics. "I can only

write what I know, and I know nothing but China,

having always lived there," wrote Pearl Buck. In

The Good Earth she presents a graphic

view of a China when the last emperor reigned

and the vast political and social upheavals of

the twentieth century were but distant rumblings

for the ordinary people. This moving, classic

story of the honest farmer Wang Lung and his

selfless wife O-lan is must reading for those

who would fully appreciate the sweeping changes

that have occurred in the lives of the Chinese

people during this century.

Nobel Prize winner Pearl S. Buck traces the

whole cycle of life: its terrors, its passions,

its ambitions and rewards. Her brilliant novel

-- beloved by millions of readers -- is a

universal tale of the destiny of man.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:23 -0400)

Pearl S. Buck's epic Pulitzer prize-winning novel of a China that was now in a contemporary classics edition. Though more than sixty years have passed since this remarkable novel won the Pulitzer prize, it has retained its popularity and become one of the great modern classics. "I can only write what I know, and I know nothing but China, having always lived there," wrote Pearl Buck. In the Good Earth she presents a graphic view of a China when the last emperor reigned and the vast political and social upheavals of the twentieth century were but distant rumblings for the ordinary people. This moving, classic story of the honest farmer Wang Lung and his selfless wife o-lan is must reading for those who would fully appreciate the sweeping changes that have occurred in the lives of the Chinese people during this century. Nobel Prize winner Pearl S. Buck traces the whole cycle of life: its terrors, its passions, its ambitions and rewards. Her brilliant novel, beloved by millions of readers, is a universal tale of the destiny of man. Enduring literature illuminated by practical scholarship a poignant tale about the life and labors of a Chinese farmer during the sweeping reign of the country s last emperor. Each enriched classic edition includes: A concise introduction that gives readers important background information, a chronology of the author's life and work, a timeline of significant events that provides the book's historical context, an outline of key themes and plot points to help readers form their own interpretations, detailed explanatory notes, a critical analysis, including contemporary and modern perspectives on the work, discussion questions to promote lively classroom and book group interaction, a list of recommended related books and films to broaden the reader's experience. Enriched Classics offer readers affordable editions of great works of literature enhanced by helpful notes and insightful commentary. The scholarship provided in Enriched Classics enables readers to appreciate, understand, and enjoy the world's finest books to their full potential. Pulitzer Prize fiction, 1932.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,642,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible