The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

The Good Earth (edition 2005)

by Pearl S. Buck

Member:jldorn
Title:The Good Earth
Authors:Pearl S. Buck
Info:Pocket Books (2005), Edition: Export Ed, Paperback

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: A Novel by Lisa See (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Both are well-written novels set in late 19th/early 20th century China.
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (John_Vaughan)
    East of Eden by John Steinbeck (John_Vaughan)
    Dragon Seed by Pearl S. Buck (deeyes)
    deeyes: Dragon seed is similar but better pearl buck book
    Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (Ellen_Elizabeth)
    Ellen_Elizabeth: Another classic, historical fiction novel that explores a traditional culture through the story of one man and his family. Both were written in English and illustrate the author's perceived strengths and weaknesses of the subject culture in a way that is accessible to western readers.… (more)
    Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang (ominogue)
    The Plum in the Golden Vase or, Chin P'ing Mei: Vol. 1, The Gathering by Lanling Xiaoxiao Sheng (pseudonym) (orangewords)
    Satan in Goray by Isaac Bashevis Singer (SanctiSpiritus)
    Pao by Kerry Young (sturlington)
    The City of Joy by Dominique Lapierre (orangewords)
    The Pearl by John Steinbeck (Authoress)
    Authoress: Families who go through times of both wealth and poverty are featured in both works
    Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh (jennyl.keen)
    Growth of the Soil by Knut Hamsun (thatguyzero)
    The Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh (ominogue)

English (168)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (176)
I read this book for the first time in 7th grade and just finished rereading it and experience reading the book couldn't be more different. What I remembered about the book before rereading it was that it was about a man and his land with his wife and how they struggled then changed when they had money. Rereading it, it was more sad and I hated the main character in the 2nd half of the book. I also didn't remember anything after O'lan dies, I suspect in 7th grade we read a slimmed down version. I didn't enjoy the book as much after O'lan dies it felt like the rest of the book was about waiting for Wang Lung to die as well even though he wasn't that old, he just kept preparing for it. I liked the foreshadowing from the beginning about the old house, I was glad to see that the end didn't exactly copy the fall of the old house but lead you to believe it was leading that way considering the sons wanted to sell the land. The ending was well done, but felt very rushed and random the last few chapters.This is a great book to read, lots of interesting characters and it's about their lifetime and it does the time really well. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 14, 2015 |
RGG: Nobel Prize - winning Pearl Buck writes the Chinese companion to Steinbeck's A Grapes of Wrath. The first half of the novel is the most interesting and comparable.
  rgruberhighschool | Apr 9, 2015 |
As far as I can determine, the first sweeping epic I ever read. I'm interested in re-reading it to see how it stands up. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
"The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck gives a detailed depiction of the China of the early twentieth century, but not an interesting or captivating one. Wang Lung, a Chinese farmer, marries O-Lan, a slave, and together they forge a family. Lung works hard all day farming and eventually earns enough to buy more land. Throughout this novel, Lung has many changes of fortune and undergoes waves of wealth as well as waves of poverty. He experiences corruption, crime, struggle, and success. As his family grows, Lung tries to teach his children and grandchildren right from wrong and how to live properly.
I can't say that I truly enjoyed this book. It was long and boring. That is not a good combination of characteristics at all for any book. I couldn't really connect well with the characters, and the whole way that China was depicted made the book have a gloomy and unappealing feel to it. Some of the events that took place in the book thoroughly frustrated me and put me in a bad mood. I am not a fan of any book that makes me feel this way. The storyline has no suspense or action, and most of the drama that occurs is drawn out and annoying. I know that this book is not representative of Pearl S. Buck's talents. She has written more than a few books that are clearly better than this one. I wouldn't recommend this book to anybody. It was a big disappointment.
  skypalat | Jan 19, 2015 |

Pearl S. Buckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...This was what Vinteuil had done for the little phrase. Swann felt that the composer had been content (with the instruments at his disposal) to draw aside its veil, to make it visible, following and respecting its outlines with a hand so loving, so prudent, so delicate and so sure, that the sound altered at every moment, blunting itself to indicate a shadow, springing back into life when it must follow the curve of some more bold projection. And one proof that Swann was not mistaken when believed in the real existence of this phrase was that anyone with an ear at all delicate for music would have at once detected the imposture had Vinteuil, endowed with less power to see and to render its forms, sought to dissemble (by adding a line, here and there, of his own invention) the dimness of his vision or the feebleness of his hand. -- Swann's Way, by Marcel Proust
It was Wang Lung's marriage day.
He had no articulate thought of anything; there was only this perfect sympathy of movement, of turning this earth of theirs over and over to the sun, this earth which formed their home and fed their bodies and made their gods. The earth lay rich and dark, and fell apart lightly under the points of their hoes, Sometimes they turned up a bit of brick, a splinter of wood. It was nothing. Sometimes, in some age, bodies of men and women had been buried there, houses had stood there, had fallen, and gone back into the earth. So would also their house, sometime, return into the earth, their bodies also. Each had his turn at this earth. They worked on, moving together – together – producing the fruit of this earth – speechless in their movement together.
…he said nothing still, she looked at him piteously and sadly out of her strange dumb eyes that were like a beast’s eyes that cannot speak, and then she went away, creeping and feeling for the door because of her tears that blinded her.

Wang Lung watched her as she went and he was glad to be alone, but still he was ashamed and he was still angry that he was ashamed, and he said to himself, and he muttered the words aloud and restlessly, as though he quarreled with someone, “Well, and other men are so and I have been good enough to her, and there are men worse than I.” And he said at last that O-lan must bear it.
My house and my land it is, and if it were not for the land we should all starve as the others did, and you could not walk about in your dainty robes idle as a scholar. It is the good land that has made you something better than a farmer’s lad.

Pearl S. Buck's epic

Pulitzer Prize-winning novel of a China that was

-- now in a Contemporary Classics

edition.

Though more than sixty years have passed

since this remarkable novel won the Pulitzer

Prize, it has retained its popularity and become

one of the great modern classics. "I can only

write what I know, and I know nothing but China,

having always lived there," wrote Pearl Buck. In

The Good Earth she presents a graphic

view of a China when the last emperor reigned

and the vast political and social upheavals of

the twentieth century were but distant rumblings

for the ordinary people. This moving, classic

story of the honest farmer Wang Lung and his

selfless wife O-lan is must reading for those

who would fully appreciate the sweeping changes

that have occurred in the lives of the Chinese

people during this century.

Nobel Prize winner Pearl S. Buck traces the

whole cycle of life: its terrors, its passions,

its ambitions and rewards. Her brilliant novel

-- beloved by millions of readers -- is a

universal tale of the destiny of man.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:01 -0400)

Pearl S. Buck's epic Pulitzer prize-winning novel of a China that was now in a contemporary classics edition. Though more than sixty years have passed since this remarkable novel won the Pulitzer prize, it has retained its popularity and become one of the great modern classics. "I can only write what I know, and I know nothing but China, having always lived there," wrote Pearl Buck. In the Good Earth she presents a graphic view of a China when the last emperor reigned and the vast political and social upheavals of the twentieth century were but distant rumblings for the ordinary people. This moving, classic story of the honest farmer Wang Lung and his selfless wife o-lan is must reading for those who would fully appreciate the sweeping changes that have occurred in the lives of the Chinese people during this century. Nobel Prize winner Pearl S. Buck traces the whole cycle of life: its terrors, its passions, its ambitions and rewards. Her brilliant novel, beloved by millions of readers, is a universal tale of the destiny of man. Enduring literature illuminated by practical scholarship a poignant tale about the life and labors of a Chinese farmer during the sweeping reign of the country s last emperor. Each enriched classic edition includes: A concise introduction that gives readers important background information, a chronology of the author's life and work, a timeline of significant events that provides the book's historical context, an outline of key themes and plot points to help readers form their own interpretations, detailed explanatory notes, a critical analysis, including contemporary and modern perspectives on the work, discussion questions to promote lively classroom and book group interaction, a list of recommended related books and films to broaden the reader's experience. Enriched Classics offer readers affordable editions of great works of literature enhanced by helpful notes and insightful commentary. The scholarship provided in Enriched Classics enables readers to appreciate, understand, and enjoy the world's finest books to their full potential. Pulitzer Prize fiction, 1932.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,176,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible