Five on a Treasure Island by Enid Blyton

Five on a Treasure Island (1942)

by Enid Blyton

1,234226,440 (3.92)1 / 35
Recently added byYak_Litsy, ingemariette, Nowena, private library, EmmaRobyn137, Griffin22, axel, nathan.burley

English (18)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All (22)
Four cousins (plus one dog) have an adventure exploring an island with castle ruins and the promise of buried treasure.
Meh. Too syrupy sweet for my tastes. I see why kiddos like these books, but they aren't the kind of children's book that appeals to all ages, I think. ( )
  electrascaife | Nov 8, 2017 |
This has been my most favourite book from any series i ever read as a kid!
Enid Blyton pooled my imagination and im so glad i got to read her work.
Her books especially The Famous Five series is by far the coolest for children any age.
Blyton gave me friends for life in anne, george, julian, dick and tim!! No wonder she's so popular among the kids!! ( )
  Sharayu_Gangurde | Jan 19, 2017 |
At the beginning of the summer holidays, three children named Julian, Dick, and Anne go to stay with their Uncle Quentin. The only thing is, this scientist is very busy, and hates to be disturbed. Writing books, as he claims later on, does not give him enough money to buy what he so wants for his dear wife Fanny and his little girl, Georgina. If there is one small noise, he rises into a great temper. That is what feared the children of going there. They were all scared of him.

When the kids arrive, they realise that Georgina is not the sort of girl they imagined her to be. She was bad-tempered, sulky, and would never reply if her name was called. She insisted upon being called 'George', and, as the cousins soon found out, had always wanted to be a boy. She wore boy clothing, had a boy haircut. She was rude, for a start, especially to the youngest of the children, Anne, of whom she called a baby.

But when George finds that she prefers to have others around her, to play with, to share with, and to talk to, she lets them have one first go at going to her beloved Kirrin Island and Castle. Her mother had promised her these fascinating things, and the girl was not going to object.

Soon the cousins get so addicted to the island, sea and castle, and of course, George's dog (who wasn't allowed in the house anymore), Timothy, that they went with their new friend to a holiday at the island. Wrecks are washed up, maps are found, within a long adventure so are the greated treasures you could imagine.

But of course, you won't know anything else unless you read this brilliant book!

Enid Blyton is a fantastic author in my opinion, and without doubt is probably one of the best in the world. Her books can be for any age depending on which they are, but I say this one would be around 8-11-year-olds.
  LaviniaRossetti | Sep 6, 2016 |
The Famous Five novels by Enid Blyton are a British institution in the United Kingdom and occupy a place in the bookshelves of nearly every self-respecting pre-teen. When I was growing up in the UK I devoured all the Blyton books I could get a hold of and then went onto her Secret Seven and (my all-time favorite) Adventure series.
The format for the books is essentially the same - a band of children get into a series of adventures thwarting criminals and solving mysteries. It's like Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, but imbued with that classic British idiom and that fast-paced, expertly crafted Blyton style that give it an edge over her American counterparts.
The success of the formula is perhaps best demonstrated by the fact that the majority of the Blyton books I read were handed down to me from my mother who had received them as a child herself in the 1940s and 1950s. It's an unusual feeling opening a book and seeing it inscribed to a parent when they were your age. There are 21 stories in the series and 40 years later in the 1980s the series was even continued by French author Claude Voilier (who wrote several continuation novels).
Anyhow, this is the novel that started it all and in it we are introduced to the Famous Five - Julian, Dick, Anne, George, and her dog Tim.
As the novel opens Julian, Dick and Anne arrive at their uncle's for the summer where they are introduced to their cousin - the tomboyish Georgina (or George for short).
Together they set out to investigate the nearby island that belongs to George's mother and run straight into danger and adventure. There is a wreck submerged on the island that suppossibly has a fortune in gold inside, but several dives to the ship have yielded nothing. Then one night a fierce storm whips up and the wreck is brought to the surface.
It's compulsive reading and even as an adult I sometimes have that nostalgic desire to return to a more innocent time and read a Blyton novel.
These books are rather difficult to find in the United States though I was able to track down one online retailer that sells them as a complete set. However, if you want to sample the Famous Five series before putting down your hard earned cash for the entire series, this novel, (or my personal favorite of the series "Five Get into a Fix"), is well worth the expense.
Your children will thank you for it
Incidentally there is a DVD production available in Region 2 of this adventure. In the 1970s a British television series was also produced of the Famous Five adventures, and a second one in the 1990s and a 1981 movie adaptation of the first of the Adventure series (Island of Adventure). ( )
  DarrenHarrison | Jul 21, 2016 |
Fyra barn och en hund som tillsammans löser mysterier
  paulaeolsson | Sep 16, 2014 |

Enid Blytonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blake, QuentinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karvonen, LeaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soper, Eileen A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soper, Eileen A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mother, have you heard about our summer holidays yet?' said Julian at the breakfast table.

A shipwreck off Kirrin Island means there must be treasure. The Famous Five can't wait to investigate - but they're not alone. Somebody else is treasure-hunting too. Who will follow the cues and get there first? 11-15 yrs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,260,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible