The Outside of August (Ballantine Reader's…

The Outside of August (Ballantine Reader's Circle) (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Joanna Hershon

Member:cat02886
Title:The Outside of August (Ballantine Reader's Circle)
Authors:Joanna Hershon
Info:Ballantine Books (2004), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading
Tags:Read

The Outside of August by Joanna Hershon (2003)

Oh dear---I was hoping for some other reviews---this was long and tough to read. I forced myself to the end. I just couldn't warm up to the characters but I'm the type of person who gets to a certain point in a book and find that I must read to the end, just in case. I may have over-rated this one. I guess I need to read something else by Hershon because another book of hers had very favorable reviews---Swimming. She even has a brand new book (2013). ( )
  nyiper | Jun 28, 2013 |
For Derek
The house was too big.

Critics and readers alike hailed Swimming, Joanna Hershon’s fiction debut. “Compelling,” said the Washington Post, while Vanity Fair called Swimming a “page-turning premiere.” Now Hershon brings us her anticipated second novel, in which she vividly explores the secrets of an American family. The Outside of August is a mesmerizing, beautifully written story that combs the emotional landscape of its characters with power and precision.

For as long as Alice Green can remember, her elusive mother, Charlotte, has moved in and out of family life—disappearing relentlessly and often without explanation. Despite the exotic clutter of souvenirs that detail Charlotte’s international travels, the Green’s home becomes progressively hollow, as nothing but Charlotte can fill the empty spaces.

With their mother’s tenuous presence, and their tender but distant father working long hours, Alice and her brother, August, react in different ways. While seeking constant affection from other women, August relies on an unspoken bond with Charlotte that allows him a certain freedom. But Alice feels no such security and grows increasingly unmoored, always in search of ways to keep her mother at home.

When, years later, her unfettered brother becomes strangely remote, Alice journeys to find him in an isolated beach town. It is there that a deeply buried secret will have to unravel in order for Alice to come to terms with her fractured family and her place within it—and learn to let go of a mother she perhaps never really knew.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:59 -0400)

For as long as Alice Green can remember, her elusive mother, Charlotte, has moved in and out of family life-disappearing relentlessly and often without explanation. Despite the exotic clutter of souvenirs that detail Charlotte's international travels, the Green's home becomes progressively hollow, as nothing but Charlotte can fill the empty spaces.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,185,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible