Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt

Homecoming (original 1981; edition 1987)

by Cynthia Voigt (Author)

2,125434,405 (4.04)1 / 71
Member:PawsforThought
Title:Homecoming
Authors:Cynthia Voigt (Author)
Info:Fawcett (1987), Edition: Reissue, 318 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt (1981)

Found by June Oldham (bookel)
    Outside Beauty by Cynthia Kadohata (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both books feature close-knit sibling groups who have to look out for each other because the adults in their lives cannot always be relied upon.
    A Long Way to Go by Borden Deal (bookel)
    Desperate Measures by Laura Summers (bookel)
    Tracks by Clayton Bess (bookel)
    Broken Promise by Alex Lazzarino (bookel)
    The Silver Sword by Ian Serraillier (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Siblings looking after each other in a real world, without parents.
    Lyddie by Katherine Paterson (stanbohall)
    Come Sing, Jimmy Jo by Katherine Paterson (Aquila)
    A Place to Call Home by Jackie French Koller (infiniteletters)
    Jemmy by Jon Hassler (infiniteletters)
    Dear Lola by Judie Angell (infiniteletters)

One day a family goes on a road trip to visit their Aunt Cilla but on the wat they stop in a mall parking lot the mom leaevs the four kids Dicey,James, Maybeth, and Sammyin a car.
  lucyd.b4 | Jan 18, 2018 |
This book feels so real that I had to remind myself that it was fiction. Well developed characters and lots of thought provoking incidents. I can easily see why it was nominated for several international prizes and made into a movie. Made a good choice for a book club. Our Vintage Book Circle had mixed reactions. Some of us were looking for more escape and so this was too gritty for them. Others really appreciated the grounded reality that was presented as well as the courage and tenacity of the children in the book. When I finished and wanted to immediately read Dicey's Song the Newbery award winning sequel to this one. Glad it was chosen for our book club. ( )
  njcur | Nov 6, 2017 |
Dicey and her brothers and sister are abandoned by their mother in a car in a mall parking lot. They were on their way to an aunt's house, so they decide to keep going on their own, hoping that this unknown relative will take them in and help them find their mother. Dicey leads them on a long journey through towns, state parks, across rivers and bays, sleeping in off-the-road places and doing odd jobs here and there for spare change while avoiding any authorities. Their trek doesn't end at the aunt's place, though, who isn't, for various reasons, good for them. But they learn that they have a possibly-insane grandmother, and so they continue on with their journey, alone but together.
An excellent yarn; I was rooting for Dicey and her little family from Page One. ( )
  electrascaife | May 6, 2017 |
If you have not read the Tillerman series, Read it!!! One of the most important series I read as a teen. ( )
  Contusions | Dec 23, 2016 |
I first read this in fifth (!!) grade and it is every bit as good as I remembered. The Tillermans' journey is heartbreaking, brave, practical, and hopeful all at once. Rereading this and Dicey's Song before I get to the third book. ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
To Jessica & Walter
The woman put her sad moon-face in at the window of the car.
The No filled the whole air of the house.  Everytime she breathed in she breathed in that No.  Dicey wasn't even frightened any more.  She was simply defeated (292).
This is the book; do not combine with the movie directed by Mark Jean.

Dicey began to panic. The four of them had been waiting in the car for hours now. Why wasn't their mother back? Why had she just walked off like that? What would they do if she never came back? Dicey had known for a while that something was not right with her mother. There wasn't anything she could put her finger on, but when Mamma said goodbye to them that day in the supermarket car park, Dicey knew that she wasn't coming back. And so Dicey, as the eldest, plans to lead the three others halfway across America to their aunt -- on foot. And the story of how they reached their destination and what they found there is one of the most gripping in children's literature; it is the story of one child's courage against impossible odds, and of a determination to find a home that never lets up. Homecoming, the first in a series of seven wonderful novels, is a must for any reader, young or old.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:33 -0400)

Abandoned by their mother, four children begin a search for a home and an identity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,094,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible