How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So…

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk (1980)

by Adele Faber, Elaine Mazlish

Recently added by2012, kateminasian, private library, marymili, kinaida, sostapowich, AshRyan, hyperion79, LLLBeijingENG

Pretty well-written but a little idealistic. Still good tips one should take to mind, and it makes you think about things from a kid's perspective, something we too often forget to do. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
I think this book, which encourages accepting other people's feelings as a starting point will help me not only in my parenting, but also in my teaching and general human interactions. I learned strategies for dealing with kids' feelings, engaging cooperation, finding alternatives to punishment, encouraging autonomy, praising effectively, and freeing kids from roles. One of the biggest helps for me personally is some illustration of the need to acknowledge how difficult something may be for someone else (even if I don't find it so). Highly recommended for all teachers and parents. ( )
  saholc | Aug 3, 2014 |
This was a great book that I found comical. It addressed some of the in your face issues parents and kids deal with. I personally found it interesting since I will be having my first child soon. It can also be used as a reference in my classroom if I'm faced with a similar situation. ( )
  Kbernard | Jul 17, 2014 |
This text was so accessible and simple, yet so in depth. The index helps this book remain a constant resource I can refer to and the examples offered more explanatory solutions that I can relate to. I had to laugh at some of the suggestions, not because they were silly but because I had many “Why didn’t I think of that?” moments. The most important thing this text has to offer is that it is not about what you say, it is often how you say it. The text didn’t do this in a condescending way either, especially as it used comic like examples that were a great reflection of real life. It is most important to remember that just as our children grow, we, too, will grow with them over the years. ( )
  KMClark | Jul 5, 2014 |
This book was well worth the read. There were many great suggestions and ideas to test out....and the best part is when I tried some - they worked like a charm. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |

Adele Faberprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mazlish, Elainemain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380811960, Paperback)

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk is an excellent communication tool kit based on a series of workshops developed by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish. Faber and Mazlish (coauthors of Siblings Without Rivalry) provide a step-by-step approach to improving relationships in your house. The "Reminder" pages, helpful cartoon illustrations, and excellent exercises will improve your ability as a parent to talk and problem-solve with your children. The book can be used alone or in parenting groups, and the solid tools provided are appropriate for kids of all ages.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:03 -0400)

The twentieth anniversary edition of the best-selling parenting guide includes updated information as well as the practical, sensible advice that made the book a classic to begin with.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,053,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible