How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So…

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk (1980)

by Adele Faber, Elaine Mazlish

This was a great book that I found comical. It addressed some of the in your face issues parents and kids deal with. I personally found it interesting since I will be having my first child soon. It can also be used as a reference in my classroom if I'm faced with a similar situation. ( )
  Kbernard | Jul 17, 2014 |
This text was so accessible and simple, yet so in depth. The index helps this book remain a constant resource I can refer to and the examples offered more explanatory solutions that I can relate to. I had to laugh at some of the suggestions, not because they were silly but because I had many “Why didn’t I think of that?” moments. The most important thing this text has to offer is that it is not about what you say, it is often how you say it. The text didn’t do this in a condescending way either, especially as it used comic like examples that were a great reflection of real life. It is most important to remember that just as our children grow, we, too, will grow with them over the years. ( )
  KMClark | Jul 5, 2014 |
This book was well worth the read. There were many great suggestions and ideas to test out....and the best part is when I tried some - they worked like a charm. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
Looking forward to hearing this book in audio format ( )
  angiewood | Feb 12, 2014 |
The theme of this book can be summed up thusly: Treat your children like human beings. Sounds simple in theory but if you have kids, you know it’s not as easy as it sounds. It can be hard to treat your children like regular human beings when they don’t always act like regular human beings. Or is it just mine that can be irrational monsters at times? I really liked all the practical examples and situations that the authors used throughout the book. My husband listened to this book as well and we’ve been putting a lot of the tips into practice with our three children. So far, it’s working really well.

I enjoyed listening this book in its audio format. The narrator, Susan Bennett, was dynamic and brought a lot of inflection to her reading – it was anything but dry, which non-fiction audio can easily be. I liked this book so much that after listening to it, I bought the paperback so that I will be able to go back and refer to specific parts again and again. That’s the one drawback of wonderful instructional books like this in audio – it’s hard to use an audio book for reference. Also, the paperback version has a lot of cartoons, which of course don’t translate into the audio format. However, I did like that my first reading was in the audio format as I often digest this type of book more easily if I listen to it. And my husband never would have read the printed version as he falls asleep after reading for about 10 minutes, no matter what kind of book it is! He was able to listen to this book on his daily commute, which worked out nicely.

I highly recommend this book to all parents interested in gentle, effective alternative methods to yelling and nagging (and spanking if anyone still does that.) That should be pretty much all of us, right? ( )
  mcelhra | Jan 7, 2014 |

Adele Faberprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mazlish, Elainemain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380811960, Paperback)

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk is an excellent communication tool kit based on a series of workshops developed by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish. Faber and Mazlish (coauthors of Siblings Without Rivalry) provide a step-by-step approach to improving relationships in your house. The "Reminder" pages, helpful cartoon illustrations, and excellent exercises will improve your ability as a parent to talk and problem-solve with your children. The book can be used alone or in parenting groups, and the solid tools provided are appropriate for kids of all ages.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:03 -0400)

The twentieth anniversary edition of the best-selling parenting guide includes updated information as well as the practical, sensible advice that made the book a classic to begin with.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,691,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible