Hunters of the red moon by Marion Zimmer…

Hunters of the red moon (1973)

by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Other authors: Paul Edwin Zimmer (Consultant)

Series: Dane Marsh (1)

For the Hunters, the Hunt was a religion. The Sacred Prey, sentient beings collected from all over the galaxy, were literally given a fighting chance--they were allowed to choose weapons from an armory with every imaginable weapon and given time to train. Then they were taken to the place of the Hunt, where death awaited them. Those who survived until the eclipse of the red moon, however, were honored by the Hunters and rewarded with all the wealth they could desire. The trick, of course, was surviving.… (more)
Recently added byPhoeniki, StevenLJones, private library, majackson, joaneee, Helsi, BookHavenAZ, Marz38

Aliens kidnap individuals from various sentient species of different worlds to serve as challenging prey for their hunt--including in this book Dane of Earth. Think of a cross between an abducted by aliens fic and "The Most Dangerous Game." Or a pulp fiction Survivors including a bipedal saurian and feline. Only 176 pages, this is a fast-paced, adventure filled story, which no one will mistake for great literature. I don't think it's as good as the better of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover books, but Hunters of the Red Moon is a fast and fun read. There's an equally diverting sequel, The Survivors. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Oct 22, 2012 |

Bradley, Marion ZimmerAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zimmer, Paul EdwinConsultantsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barr, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, CarlCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grateful thanks and acknowledgements are due to
PAUL EDWIN ZIMMER
Marshal and Weapons Consultant of the Society for Creative Anachronism
who kindly supplied me with information about the nature and use of all the weapons used in the Hunt, and provided continuity for all the fighting scenes. However, the reader is urgently requested not to blame him for any feckless mistakes which I may have made in using the material which he supplied. Whatever is good or accurate in what I say of weapons is my good brother's; whatever is wrong or misinformed is my own. - M.Z.B.
That speck of light had been hanging in the same part of the sky, it seemed, for a long time.
Paul Edwin Zimmer (Marion Zimmer Bradley's brother) was initially an uncredited co-author. Later editions of the book add him as a co-author; they are the same work. According to Bradley's comments in GREYHAVEN, Zimmer wrote approximately a third of the manuscript, particularly the fight scenes.

The hunters were fair by theri standards ... but their standards were utterly inhuman.
They kidnapped intelligent beings from many far-off planets as prey for their hunt. they gave them their choice of the best weapons available, allowed them plenty of time to practice, gave them a "chance."

If they could survive until the next eclipse of the red moon, wealth and freedom would be thiers. The catch was this - nobody knew what the  hunters looked like. How then do you outwit an enemy who might look like your best friend, your comrade-in-arms, or like a monster that could slay an army?
-----------------------------------------------
    "GIVE HONOR"
    to the Masters of the Hunt!

"Give honor to the Hunters! In the nine-hundred-and-sixty-fourth Hunt in our illustrious history, forty-seven individuals hunted gallantly from Eclipse to Eclipse and nineteen have gone to join their illustrious ancestors!

"Give honor to the Sacred Prey! Seventy-four fought us valiantly and provided us with a splendid Hunt, and for the three-hundred-and-ninety-eighth time, there was at lease one survivor, who has been brought here so that you may see the rewards which await a successful Prey!

"Honorable and Sacred Prey, we welcome you to the nine-hundred-and-sixty-fifth cycle of hunting of this recorded era. The Hunt will commence at dawn!"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,946,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible