dismiss

The House at Pooh Corner (1928)

by A. A. Milne

Other authors: E. H. Shepard (Illustrator)

Series: Winnie-the-Pooh (2)

Ten adventures of Pooh, Eeyore, Tigger, Piglet, Owl, and other friends of Christopher Robin.

The Winnie the Pooh books are classics for a reason. Lovely stories and the perfect pictures to illustrate them. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
For the final of Celebrity Death Match.

Some basic facts about Winnie the Pooh and the Divine Comedy.

(1) Have you ever tried looking up Winnie on project Gutenberg? You find that Dante gets a few thousand hits and Winnie gets none. NONE!!! And you know why? Because Disney bullied Congress years ago into being allowed to keep the copyright longer than was their legal right. And you know why they did that? Of course it is because everybody loves Winnie. Try this, if you don't believe me. Offer the copyright to The Divine Comedy to Disney for ten bucks.

(2) Have you ever tried shopping for Dante sheets? Cursor? Wallpaper - both hard and soft? Mice? Toilet paper? Colouring-in books? Dante stuffed animals? Interactive game sites?

(3) google The Divine Comedy and you get 3M hits. google Winnie the Pooh and you get 58M (numbers rounded down, to Dante's advantage).

Democracy, ladies and gentlemen. The world has voted. Celebrity death match can scarcely go against figures like these.

(4) When I was in Grade three, about seven years old, we were set as English comprehension:

"Compare and contrast the following passages"

The start of the Divine Comedy:

His glory, by whose might all things are mov'd,
Pierces the universe, and in one part
Sheds more resplendence, elsewhere less. In heav'n,
That largeliest of his light partakes, was I,
Witness of things, which to relate again
Surpasseth power of him who comes from thence;
For that, so near approaching its desire
Our intellect is to such depth absorb'd,
That memory cannot follow. Nathless all,
That in my thoughts I of that sacred realm
Could store, shall now be matter of my song.

and a poem by Pooh:

THOUGHTS

I lay on my chest
And I thought it best
To pretend I was having a evening rest;
I lay on my tum
And I tried to hum
But nothing particular seemed to come
My face was flat
On the floor, and that
Is all very well for an acrobat;
But it doesn't seem fair
To a Friendly Bear
To stiffen him out with a backet-chair.
And sort of squoze
Which grows and grows
Is not too nice for his poor old nose,
And sort of squch
Is much to much
For his neck and his mouth and his
ears and such.

I discussed all the obvious points, the sheer boredom of reading Dante, his inability to call a rhyme. Naturally I compared Pooh favourably with Shakespeare, making the point like others before me, I expect, that they were both inventors of words, that they revelled in the joyous playfullness of language.

The coup of my essay, however, was revealing the sociological experiment carried out by my mother. Whilst I was sweetly put to sleep with Pooh each night, my poor brother was served up Dante. He has never recovered from the trauma of it. To him going to bed at night is to be avoided at all costs. Anything but that. And in a truly despicable example of what happens when one is raised on Dante, my mother once found that my brother had hanged his teddy bear.

I rest my case. ( )
  bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
A.A. Milne returns to the Hundred Acre Wood in this follow-up to Winnie the Pooh, offering ten charming episodes in which the animals have many adventures together. The marvelous Tigger is introduced here, moving in with Kanga and Roo, getting stuck in a tree, and being deliberately "lost" by Rabbit, in order to debounce him. Quite a few of the characters - Owl, Eeyore, Rabbit - lose their homes, and gain new ones. The book concludes with the melancholy fact that Christopher Robin is going away...

I honestly have no idea if I read the Winnie the Pooh books as a child. I'm familiar with many of the stories, but I have no clear memory of ever having picked up the books. Perhaps they were read to me, at bedtime? I know that I never saw the Disney film, but I do recall an LP we had growing up, that contained some of the Winnie the Pooh songs from the film. The one about Tigger was my favorite, of course. However that may be, and whenever I was first exposed to Milne's stories, my first actual memory of reading one of them was a few years back, when The House at Pooh Corner was assigned as a text in the course on the history of children's literature I took, while getting my masters. It felt very familiar to me, in a vague sort of way, and was utterly charming. I meant, at that time, to read the other books as well, but time was short, and I didn't end up doing so. In any case, I found this one immensely appealing, appreciated the gentle but compelling stories, the marvelously realized characters, and the sense of sadness at the close. I definitely need to read the entire collection - the two prose volumes (Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner) and the two poetry collections When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six - at some point. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 10, 2020 |
Even better stories and a wonderfully poignant ending. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 16, 2020 |
Writing: 5.0; more use of the great writing style A. A. Milne implemented in the first volume.
Theme: 4.5; more adventures of Winnie the Pooh and his stuffed animal friends in the Hundred Acre Wood, including Piglet, Rabbit, Eeyore, Owl, Kanga, and Roo, as well as the introduction of Tigger into the stories.
Content: 5.0; nothing objectionable.
Language: 5.0; nothing objectionable.

The follow-up to A. A. Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh, The House at Pooh Corner gives more tales about the delightful stuffed bear and his friends in the Hundred Acre Wood. Christopher Robin's newest toy, a tiger, is introduced to us in the form of Tigger -- and boy, is he as fun as ever. Tigger's always been my favorite character from Winnie the Pooh, so it was great to see his debut. Too bad it happened in the sequel, though. Still, the characterization of all the characters is wonderful, and the adventures we follow them on are enjoyable, as Tigger moves in, gets stuck in a tree, and "lost" by Rabbit (all moments seen in the classic Disney film), Eeyore and Owl get new houses, and Piglet loses his, among other things. In all, this is an excellent follow-up to Milne's first foray into the Hundred Acre Wood. The writing is a lot more easier to follow now that one's gotten used to it, and the introduction of Tigger is fantastic to see. It is just as enchanting to read as the first book. Really, my only gripe is that this is where the classic Pooh stories end. Definitely be sure to check out both Winnie the Pooh volumes. Highly recommended. ***Finished March 13, 2020*** ( )
  DarthTindalus | Mar 13, 2020 |

A. A. Milneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shepard, E. H.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Broadbent, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ishii, MomokoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You gave me Christopher Robin, and then

You breathed new life into Pooh.

Whatever of each has left my pen

Goes homing back to you.

My book is ready, and comes to greet

The mother it longs to see—

It would be my present to you, my sweet,

If it weren't your gift to me.
An Introduction is to introduce people, but Christopher Robin and his friends, who have already been introduced to you, who are now going to say Good-bye.

Contradiction.
One day when Pooh Bear had nothing else to do, he thought he would do something, so he went round to Piglet's house to see what Piglet was doing.

1 - In which a house is built at Pooh Corner for Eeyore.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,708,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible