The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne

The House at Pooh Corner (1928)

by A. A. Milne

Other authors: E. H. Shepard (Illustrator)

Series: Winnie-the-Pooh (2)

Gentle and sweet and sprinkled with unexpected wisdom (or should I say, wisdom from unexpected sources). I grew up on the animated New Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh, but back then I (of course) didn't see how the characters fit definite personality types; that was fun to track while reading Milne for the first time. Also the layers of wordplay and wit are delightful. All in all, I was going to give this a strong four stars until the last story, at which point I cried for Christopher Robin and Pooh and every child who knows it's time to start growing up yet doesn't want to or feel ready for it. As a kid, I felt that tearing too, that loss of putting away childish things. This is a beautiful book. ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
This was the first time I ever read this book all the way through. I finished it in one sitting and found it to be absolutely joyful. It was written when my grandmother was 3 years old and she read it to my father and uncle but recalls reading much before that. I felt connected to that earlier time when I read it and remembered my mother reading the little golden book Winnie the Pooh stories to me as a child. I think this is still very relevant in the classroom. It would make a great read aloud about friendship in kindergarten and first grade and would be a nice introduction to the elements of chapter books at the end of 2nd grade or when students were ready. The themes of this book include: growing up, friendship, imagination, kindness, going slow, carelessness, understanding and bravery.
  c.henry | Nov 21, 2018 |
It doesn't have any of the stone classics like "Pooh gets stuck in Rabbit's hole" but it does have Tigger and that goes a long long way. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Nov 7, 2018 |
A series of mostly unrelated episodes revolving around the friendly characters of the Hundred Acre Wood involving problems to overcome and the importance of relying upon your friends.
  AmandaTolmachev | Aug 12, 2018 |
The stories in this collection are not as fun as the ones in Winnie the Pooh. They seem to ramble me and have less of a point. This book felt more like an indulgence. I thought the Tigger stories would also be more funny, but maybe my impression of this character has been influenced by the Disney version.

I felt this has become dated in its writing style. ( )
  purplequeennl | Jul 11, 2018 |

A. A. Milneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shepard, E. H.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Broadbent, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ishii, MomokoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You gave me Christopher Robin, and then

You breathed new life into Pooh.

Whatever of each has left my pen

Goes homing back to you.

My book is ready, and comes to greet

The mother it longs to see—

It would be my present to you, my sweet,

If it weren't your gift to me.
An Introduction is to introduce people, but Christopher Robin and his friends, who have already been introduced to you, who are now going to say Good-bye.

Contradiction.
One day when Pooh Bear had nothing else to do, he thought he would do something, so he went round to Piglet's house to see what Piglet was doing.

1 - In which a house is built at Pooh Corner for Eeyore.
Contains 3 books containing the following stories: A house is built at Pooh Corner for Eeyore / Tiggers don't climb trees / Tigger is unbounced.

Contains 3 cassettes containing the following stories: In which a house is built at Pooh Corner for Eeyore / In which Tigger comes to the forest and has breakfast / In which a search is organdized, and Piglet nearly meets the Heffalump again / In which it is shown that Tiggers don't climb trees / In which Rabbit has a busy day, and we learn what Christopher Robin does in the mornings / In which Pooh invents a new game and Eeyore joins in / In which Tigger is unbounced / In which Piglet does a very grand thing / In which Eeyore finds the wolery and Owl moves into in / In which Christopher Robin and Pooh come to an enchanted place, and we leave them there.

Here are Pooh and Piglet, Eeyore, Kanga, Roo, and of course Christopher Robin, doing what they've done for generations--enchanting young readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:10 -0400)

Ten adventures of Pooh, Eeyore, Tigger, Piglet, Owl, and other friends of Christopher Robin.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,145,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible