The Associate by John Grisham

The Associate (2009)

by John Grisham

Recently added byrobinkaspar, kara.shamy, Wita.Salmal, David.R, M.Bird, private library, Theorud, Catsplus, jailswnc, vrullan
2009 (31) 2010 (10) American (9) audio (8) audiobook (12) blackmail (36) corporate espionage (10) crime (39) ebook (18) fiction (234) First Edition (9) Grisham (21) John Grisham (14) law (33) law firms (13) lawyers (43) legal (38) legal fiction (11) legal thriller (73) mystery (82) New York City (18) novel (18) paperback (8) rape (12) read (23) read in 2009 (9) Roman (9) suspense (47) thriller (78) to-read (22)

English (93)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (96)
The Associate by John Grisham
I am a big fan of Mr. Grisham. Unfortunately, I am not as big a fan of this book. I think this may be this first of his books which I found to be weak. His style of writing is thrilling and exciting. The story, however not so much. The story was not as believable as previous. I didn't get as consumed and absorbed into the writing as I would normally. As a result, while I would call it dull, I just would not say it kept me hooked. ( )
  ReneeRobinson | Apr 29, 2014 |
It was a nice reading. The plot is very well set, also some times I got the feeling it is a bit too far-fetched and it tends to bad guys / good guys thriller. A graduate from a law college is under a blackmail pressure by some dubious persons. Therefore he takes a job as an associate in a big law firm in New York. He feels very uncomfortable with the task to steal confidential documents from his employer. He gets the ability to detect his shadows and all the equipments which were tailing him and he tries to turn over the rules. With the help of his lawyer and different security agencies he was able to send off his persecutors.
I have to admit that I miss a proper end because it is still open for which side the blackmailers are working. ( )
  Ameise1 | Apr 26, 2014 |
Thrilling read, solid grishamesque descriptions of Wall Street quirks and absurdities, all very enjoyable, but in terms of plot, not up to the level of the best Grisham. There is great build up, and the concept is really intriguing, but the story never seems to "really take off". The pace is good, it kept my interest high, but it never reaches that special traction that I enjoyed in other Grisham books. Still a very good read.

I found it funny how Grisham, in order to keep his charchter likeable, needed to make sure that he ended up at the top law irm in the world against his will, while his true desire was to go and help people and make very little money for some years. This way, you get your readers to "like" the main charachter more (because he's not as immoral and soulless as the other associates in the firm!), and at the same you can give them up-close descriptions of the crazy wall street law firm life, that is a big part of what keeps the reader hooked. ( )
  tabascofromgudreads | Apr 19, 2014 |
Like all Grisham thrillers, this is a good page-turner and won't last long on your bedside table. But this one comes disappointingly short compared to his other novels. The characters lack depth, the story is rather straightforward, and the conclusion is entirely, almost depressingly expected. The book is replete with the usual law-firm clichés : ginormous salaries, abusive billing, staggering work hours... so much that the actual intrigue almost becomes a side story at times. Yawn. ( )
1 vote timtom | Jun 26, 2013 |
Amazon preorder,Amazon received
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |

John Grishamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Steven Rubin, Suzanne Herz, John Pitts, Alison Rich, Rebecca Holland, John Fontana, and the rest of the gang at Doubleday.
The rules of the New Haven Youth League required that each kid play at least ten minutes in each game.

It's a deadly game of blackmail. And they're making him play. Kyle McAvoy is one of the outstanding legal students of his generation: he's good looking, has a brilliant mind and a glittering future ahead of him. But he has a secret from his past, a secret that threatens to destroy his fledgling career and, possibly, his entire life. One night that secret catches up with him in the form of some bad men in a dark alley - they have a deeply compromising video of the incident that haunts him. The men make it clear to Kyle that he no longer owns his own future - that he must do as they tell him, or the video will be made public knowledge, with all the unpleasant consequences. What price do they demand for Kyle's secret? Strangely, it is for Kyle to do exactly what any ambitious young lawyer would want to do: take a job in New York as an associate at the largest law firm in the world , a job that is incredibly well paid and, with mammoth hours and outrageous billing, could lead to partnership and a fortune. But Kyle won't be working for the company, but against it - passing on the secrets of the company's biggest trial to date, a dispute between two defense contractors worth billions of dollars to the victor. Now Kyle is caught between the criminal forces manipulating him and the FBI, who would love to unmask the conspiracy. Will his intellect, cunning and bravery be enough to extricate him from an impossible dilemma?

Three months after leaving Yale, Kyle McAvoy becomes an associate at the largest law firm in the world, where, in addition to practicing law, he is expected to lie, steal, and take part in a scheme that could send him to prison, if not get him killed.… (more)

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,230,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible