The Associate by John Grisham

The Associate (original 2009; edition 2009)

by John Grisham

Member:librogurl
Title:The Associate
Authors:John Grisham
Info:Doubleday (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:What's Jean read?, Read but unowned (inactive)
Rating:**

The Associate by John Grisham (2009)

English (98)  German (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (102)
Jednostavna uzbudljiva kriminalisticka prica, laka za citanje,mada me je malo kraj razocarao jer je ostalo sve da visi u zdraku.
Kako se novopeceni advokat Kayl bori protiv spijunaze i presije rada u velikoj advokatskoj firmi. ( )
  ceca78 | Apr 10, 2016 |
I hovered between two and three stars on this. I love Grisham's writing style, but I have to say, the ending of this made me throw the damn book. Let me rephrase that, the lack of an ending, made me throw the book.

The first two thirds of the book had me really excited. Here was a well-crafted story, perhaps the protagonist was a bit two-dimensional but no matter, he was interesting sometimes, and the pace was maintained throughout. Then, the last few chapters just ruined the whole thing. The lead up to this great confrontation, this do or die moment was fast and exciting and then...WTF? He gets away? Then what? Well, we don't know because the protagonist walks off into the darkness, where the baddie could be for all we know because he just poofed off the face of the earth according to the FBI.

Ugh. I enjoy John Grisham's books, but this one left me feeling kind of cheated. I hope the next I Grisham book I read doesn't have the ending ripped out of it. ( )
  ReneeMiller | Feb 25, 2016 |
While this particular John Grisham thriller could easily become one of the more forgettable ones, it’s not a bad story; it’s just not up to the level of suspense and intensity that I have come to expect from Grisham. Still, I enjoyed the reading, and it was a perfect choice for such the extended reading time of a readathon. THE ASSOCIATE won’t be one that I return to through the years, but for what it is, the book is worth a read for any Grisham fan. ( )
  phrenetic.mind | Dec 30, 2014 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
This is another taut, legal drama from former lawyer John Grisham. The plot involves recent Yale Law School graduate Kyle McAvoy, who has been spurning offers from big law firms so he can do legal aid work for migrant workers. Unfortunately, a man named Bennie Wright wants to steal secrets from one of those big firms, and knows something in McAvoy’s past that will kill any career McAvoy has in mind. Wright thus is able to “persuade” McAvoy to join this firm and help him obtain classified military information, which the firm has because of a monumental suit it is litigating.

The plot is a little strained; one wonders why someone as bright and altruistic as the hero doesn’t seek the help of a good criminal lawyer, the Justice Department, and the FBI on page 50 rather than on page 300, but it wouldn’t be much of a story if he did. Nonetheless, the book is worth reading to get a flavor (if a bit exaggerated) of the trials and tribulations of young associates in big law firms. Having once been one myself (i.e., a young associate in a big firm in Chicago), I could empathize with Kyle as he struggled with the pressure and temptations of life in the fast lane.

Evaluation: Grisham never lets the narrative stall, and although it is not as breathtakingly paced as The Da Vinci Code, this one will keep your attention.

(JAB) ( )
  nbmars | Aug 1, 2014 |

John Grishamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Steven Rubin, Suzanne Herz, John Pitts, Alison Rich, Rebecca Holland, John Fontana, and the rest of the gang at Doubleday.
The rules of the New Haven Youth League required that each kid play at least ten minutes in each game.

It's a deadly game of blackmail. And they're making him play. Kyle McAvoy is one of the outstanding legal students of his generation: he's good looking, has a brilliant mind and a glittering future ahead of him. But he has a secret from his past, a secret that threatens to destroy his fledgling career and, possibly, his entire life. One night that secret catches up with him in the form of some bad men in a dark alley - they have a deeply compromising video of the incident that haunts him. The men make it clear to Kyle that he no longer owns his own future - that he must do as they tell him, or the video will be made public knowledge, with all the unpleasant consequences. What price do they demand for Kyle's secret? Strangely, it is for Kyle to do exactly what any ambitious young lawyer would want to do: take a job in New York as an associate at the largest law firm in the world , a job that is incredibly well paid and, with mammoth hours and outrageous billing, could lead to partnership and a fortune. But Kyle won't be working for the company, but against it - passing on the secrets of the company's biggest trial to date, a dispute between two defense contractors worth billions of dollars to the victor. Now Kyle is caught between the criminal forces manipulating him and the FBI, who would love to unmask the conspiracy. Will his intellect, cunning and bravery be enough to extricate him from an impossible dilemma?

Three months after leaving Yale, Kyle McAvoy becomes an associate at the largest law firm in the world, where, in addition to practicing law, he is expected to lie, steal, and take part in a scheme that could send him to prison, if not get him killed.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,909,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible