Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

Sophie's World (1991)

by Jostein Gaarder

13,274208166 (3.77)132
Recently added bylouis-guy, private library, Another_Irina, Basurero58, MarissaDame, Joana_v_v, SaraNoH, mirikayla, fpappa
Legacy LibrariesEeva-Liisa Manner
    The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder (Percevan)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: As the main characters develop, they also uncover fascinating mysteries with philosophical/psychological significance. Very intellectual reads with twisted, intense plots!
    The Amnesiac by Sam Taylor (GirlMisanthrope)
    Ishmael by Daniel Quinn (weeksj10)
    weeksj10: Their both lecture style novels which use fiction to present a variety of different thoughts and philosophies.
    Det store eventyret om virkeligheten : en fantastisk fortelling om den nye fysikken by Jack Falao (Percevan)
    Sorcery and Cecelia, or, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Both books contain letter correspondence, and they also both have supernatural/fantasy elements. Likable girls as the main characters.

English (157)  Spanish (14)  Dutch (10)  French (6)  German (4)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (207)
This book is beautiful. I can't explain to you in so many words what is beautiful about it; you either get it, or you don't. This is definitely one of my favourite things I have ever read. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
Although I enjoyed reading Sophies World, I kept getting the nagging feeling like I wasn't understanding all of it, or just wasn't fully interested in the philosophical history lesson going on. I must confess at times I felt myself bored with the long lectures about philosophy. I suppose this is one of those books I'm going to have to go back and re-read now that I know the ending so that I can fully understand and appreciate the plot development.

It was a great read though, and did bring up the eternal questions of why are we here and who we really are in a interesting and puzzling way. ( )
  elle-kay | Jan 27, 2016 |
Essential reading for everyone. If you havn't visited the realm of philosophy for awhile you've probably forgotten how vital it is, how prevalent, how it has insinuated itself into our lives at so many levels. A good introduction, a good refresher and an interesting (if at times greuling...) read. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
As philoso-narrative, "Sophie's World" is a world above "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" but a universe below "The Magic Mountain." In my view, literate readers would do better to try Bertrand Russell's "History of Western Philosophy," which is shorter on magic but longer on wit, intelligence and curmudgeonly skepticism.

Jostein Gaarderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pijttersen, LucyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Savolainen, KatriinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snoeijing, KimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, PaulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He who cannot draw on three thousand years

is living from hand to mouth.

Goethe
"Colui che non è in grado di darsi conto di
tremila anni rimane al buio e vive alla giornata".

JOHANN WOLFGANG GOETHE
Este libro no habría nacido sin el alentador apoyo de Siri Dannevig. También quiero agradecer a Maiken Ims su revisión del manuscrito y sus valiosos comentarios. Mi gran agradecimiento también a Trond Berg Eriksen por sus cariñosas observaciones y sólido apoyo profesional durantes muchos años.
Sophie Amundsen was on her way home from school.
Deze roman over de geschiedenis van de filosofie is een spannend verhaal, een detective en een filosofie-geschiedenis in één: een intrigerende roman die iedereen zal aanspreken die iets over zichzelf en de wereld om zich heen wil leren.

One day fourteen-year-old Sophie Amundsen comes home from school to find in her mailbox two notes, with one question on each: "Who are you?" and "Where does the world come from?" From that irrestistible beginning, Sophie becomes obsessed with questions that take her far beyond what she knows of her Norwegian village. Through those letters, she enrolls in a kind of correspondence course, covering Socrates to Sartre, with a mysterious philosopher, while receiving letters addressed to another girl. Who is Hilde? And why does her mail keep turning up? To unravel this riddle, Sophie must use the pilosophy she is learning--but the truth turns out to be far more complicated than she could have imagined.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,144,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible