Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

Sophie's World (original 1991; edition 1996)

by Jostein Gaarder (Author)

12,752None180 (3.77)116
Member:aethercowboy
Title:Sophie's World
Authors:Jostein Gaarder (Author)
Info:Berkley (1996), Paperback, 544 pages
Collections:Your library, GT3, Have read
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, literature, metafiction, philosophy, prose, Norwegian

Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder (1991)

Recently added byprivate library, lucianosna, minervois, hattorihanzo, DGSBiblio, Manua, jeffflygare, SHBR123
Legacy LibrariesEeva-Liisa Manner
(29) 20th century (68) children (26) children's (25) contemporary (27) contemporary fiction (33) fantasy (96) fiction (1,515) Gaarder (34) history (282) history of philosophy (129) literature (126) metafiction (45) mystery (72) non-fiction (95) norsk litteratur (103) Norway (155) Norwegian (127) novel (274) own (58) paperback (28) philosophy (2,608) read (152) Roman (105) to-read (93) translated (37) translation (68) unread (88) YA (33) young adult (88)
    The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder (Percevan)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: As the main characters develop, they also uncover fascinating mysteries with philosophical/psychological significance. Very intellectual reads with twisted, intense plots!
    Theo's Odyssey by Catherine Clément (TAir)
    The Amnesiac by Sam Taylor (GirlMisanthrope)
    Ishmael by Daniel Quinn (weeksj10)
    weeksj10: Their both lecture style novels which use fiction to present a variety of different thoughts and philosophies.
    Det store eventyret om virkeligheten : en fantastisk fortelling om den nye fysikken by Jack Falao (Percevan)
    Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Both books contain letter correspondence, and they also both have supernatural/fantasy elements. Likable girls as the main characters.

English (136)  Spanish (14)  Dutch (10)  French (5)  German (4)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (185)
Read it in high school for class. Didn't like it much then, but I didn't get it either. Maybe I'd like it better now. ( )
  ClosetWryter | Mar 3, 2014 |
It's a kind of strange, interesting idea to write a novel about the history of philosophy. I didn't hate it, but the novel part was a big failure, and I don't think the philosophy part is going to stick with me. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
کتابی که با خوندنش به خودتون این اجازه رو مدید به ​
یکی از کتابهای که توصیه می کنم حتما بخونیدش..​ ( )
  pashaie | Jan 3, 2014 |
I think it is safe to assume that this is a life changer book. In addition to its captivating storyline, you take a new perspective on all things in life and you know that you matured when you finish the book. ( )
  animyrch | Dec 8, 2013 |
Why did I think this was going to be fiction? This book was promoted as a novel. It is basically a series of some older guy lecturing and a young girl saying "I see", "Can you explain that"...
OK, yes, by framing these lectures with the characters themselves being aware of themselves as participants vs passive, the author is demonstrating a philosophical idea. But that framework is not great enough to bear the weight of all the lectures.
I can't believe it's a bestseller internationally--maybe it's a required book in high schools. Or maybe I have just fatally marked myself as a hopeless dolt. I do think it is possible be inquisitive, to think for oneself, to create one's own philosophy of life (which is what Alberto wants for Sophie/Hilde) without a thorough background in philosophical history.
P.S. I just skimmed most of the lectures. Having taken a required philosophy class once in my life, I have no desire to go thru that boredom again. ( )
  juniperSun | Oct 9, 2013 |
As philoso-narrative, "Sophie's World" is a world above "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" but a universe below "The Magic Mountain." In my view, literate readers would do better to try Bertrand Russell's "History of Western Philosophy," which is shorter on magic but longer on wit, intelligence and curmudgeonly skepticism.

Jostein Gaarderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pijttersen, LucyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Savolainen, KatriinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snoeijing, KimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, PaulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He who cannot draw on three thousand years

is living from hand to mouth.

Goethe
"Colui che non è in grado di darsi conto di
tremila anni rimane al buio e vive alla giornata".

JOHANN WOLFGANG GOETHE
Sophie Amundsen was on her way home from school.
Deze roman over de geschiedenis van de filosofie is een spannend verhaal, een detective en een filosofie-geschiedenis in één: een intrigerende roman die iedereen zal aanspreken die iets over zichzelf en de wereld om zich heen wil leren.

One day fourteen-year-old Sophie Amundsen comes home from school to find in her mailbox two notes, with one question on each: "Who are you?" and "Where does the world come from?" From that irrestistible beginning, Sophie becomes obsessed with questions that take her far beyond what she knows of her Norwegian village. Through those letters, she enrolls in a kind of correspondence course, covering Socrates to Sartre, with a mysterious philosopher, while receiving letters addressed to another girl. Who is Hilde? And why does her mail keep turning up? To unravel this riddle, Sophie must use the pilosophy she is learning--but the truth turns out to be far more complicated than she could have imagined.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,402,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible