Goodnight, Beautiful by Dorothy Koomson

Goodnight, Beautiful

by Dorothy Koomson

English (9)  Danish (1)  All languages (10)
I cannot breathe after reading this book, my nose is stuffy, my head hurts! Why do people write books like this? Why do I read them?

Seriously, this is painful on a slew of levels.

I'm angry with the ending, I don't expect that it would be a HEA, but shit! To have a second chance at being a parent and to be robbed of it; don't like that. Oh yeah, Stephanie should get punched in the face and Mal needs to grow a fucking pair. ( )
  mearias | Sep 23, 2013 |
Wow. What a book. I was really enjoying this story and I think I enjoyed it so much more than maybe others because i did not know what this book was about. Had not read the back so I was very surprised and wondered what had happened.
Thought this was very different than the other books I'd read. Not all sweet and nice. There was one moment though that really pissed me off.

When he did this to her, Mal, and she finally speaks to him, he then asks her to make love? WTH! Totally ridiculous and believable and then shge was even contemplating it? Come one and later they did have sex just to forget the pain for a moment. Sorry that part was stupid.

I did like that it did not have a happy end although i would have loved to see Stephanie go through a bit more abuse from .. and the same for Mal. What they did was disgusting and appalling and here is Nova, just forgiving them? sure. Also that her fmaily does not ask any questions, well only at the start why she and Mal don't speak to each other for 7 years, weird.

great book. This was the second book I'd read by this author. First one was The Chocolate Run and I have Marshmallows for Breakfast on my TBR pile. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
I found the writing style was similar to Rosamund Lupton's in that the plot worked backwards from almost the end event to how the story got to its ending. Beautifully written, keeping the reader interested with a sound plot and great characters. Whether you loved Nova or hated Stephanie, you were given good reason to make your own character judgements. I would recommend this book to everyone and I can't wait to read more from Ms Koomson. ( )
  booketta | Aug 22, 2012 |
I liked this book, but I did not love it. It is the second one of hers I have read. I read The woman he loved before and really became engrossed in it and liked the twist at the end.. This one was a little more confusing to read with different characters telling their stories in the different chapters without a title to say who was speaking. it was a sad book about Nova who agrees to have a baby for her best freind Mal and his wife. However Mal's wife changes her mind and Nova is left to have and bring up the child which causes problems with her relationship. Mal is not allowed to see the child at all until suddenly he becomes seriously ill and Nova relents and lets him see the child. This will not put me off reading another of her books. I will give another one a go!
  kiwifortyniner | Jan 10, 2012 |
Sad - real tear jerker at the end. Couldn't put the book down it was so good. ( )
  MargaretdeBuhr | Feb 8, 2011 |
For Pebble
He cries all the time.

Nova Kumalisi would do anything for her closest friend, Mal Wacken. She owes him her life. So, when he asked her to be the surrogate mother for him and his wife, in spite of her fears about how it would alter their friendship, Nova agreed. Eight years later, Nova is bringing up their son alone, and she and Mal don't speak.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,159,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible