Handle with Care: A Novel by Jodi Picoult

Handle with Care: A Novel (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Jodi Picoult

3,3071951,646 (3.67)107
    From the Seeds of Sadness by Gemma M. Geisman (sewcrazy427)
    sewcrazy427: This is the true story of the young mother who became the founder of the Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation (OI Foundation) that is referenced in the back of "Handle With Care". Gemma Geisman gave birth to a son with OI back in the early 1950's when very little was known about the disease. "From the Seeds of Sadness" tells of her struggles with a breakable baby and how she fought for help, information and a cure for this rare bone disease. The OI Foundation will be celebrating it's 40th anniversary in 2010. This is a book well worth reading. Keep your tissues handy!… (more)
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (birdsam0307, kraaivrouw)

English (192)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (195)
Truthfully, I didn't actually finish this one. As usual, Picoult's research and detail on the medical topic is amazing, but when it switched to Willow's perspective and I saw how it was going to end, I had to stop. Though I generally like Picoult's stories and how emotional and thought-provoking she manages to make them, this one was just too depressing and unsatisfying. (I loved My Sister's Keeper, and the way that one ended was just perfect, but an ending like that is something that I have to really be in the mood for -- and feel as though it fits with the story. Such was not the case this time around.) So with Handle with Care, instead, I'm stopping short of the end so I can just pretend the end is more fitting with the story. (Though the similar formula worked with MSK, I don't think the ending is appropriate with HWC.) ( )
  ItEntertainsMe | Oct 4, 2016 |
My first read for Jodi Picoult but won't be the last for sure! A real heartache struck me from the first pages. I admit it was along read, almost 650 pages but it was worth it! Enjoyed reading every single page, coz they had many feelings & emotions. This is one of the kinds I enjoy reading, it's rich with informtion+emotions!

It's the story of Charlotte O'Keefe, who delivered a disabled baby girl named Willow. Willow suffers from OI, a genetical mutation where the bones of the body break all the time, not caused by a harsh fall but with a single gentle touch! Charlotte left her work to take care of her little girl forgetting about her older daughter. Her husband is a cop & his job doesn't pay that much! Medical insurance won't pay it all, so they're left to cut in expenses & think how they'll manage in the future to provide a better life for Willow.

Dr. Piper Reece is Charlotte's best friend & her OB at the same time. She diagnosed what was wrong with Willow when Charlotte was in her 27 weeks but she should hv known better. At 18 weeks, there were some indications that the fetus was suffering from smth but she didn't see it.

After 5 years from giving birth to Willow, Charlotte sues her best friend Piper because she wants more money to provide for her kid, more money to make her life better, more money so that her girl won't feel different from other kids.

The lawsuit shatters the O'Keefes, they're torn apart, but Charlotte continues with the lawsuit because she wants what's best for her daughter!

I really really loved the story, the plot, the climax, the characters! Everything was just perfect. At some point I hated her husband, & I completely understood what Charlotte was doing! She was only thinking about her daughter! How everyone was against her but she stood still & strong, fighting for a better life for Willow!

The ending was unexpected to be frank & it made me tear :(

A MUST read! ( )
  books.paper.mania | Sep 13, 2016 |
To terrible of an idea to finish. Baby with rare disease. ( )
  Indygirl | Aug 4, 2016 |
This is the second book from Ms. Picoult that left me crying at the end. I'm beginning to think that she is the female version of George R.R. Martin.
SPOILERS Ahead so fair warning!!

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/107580.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Jul 23, 2016 |
WOW! ( )
  Michelle_Wendt | Jun 15, 2016 |
For Marjorie Rose,
Who makes flowers bloom onstage,
Provides me with goss half a world away,
And knows you're never fully dressed
without a green bag.
Things break all the time.

When Charlotte and Sean O’Keefe’s daughter, Willow, is born with severe osteogenesis imperfecta, they are devastated – she will suffer hundreds of broken bones as she grows, a lifetime of pain. As the family struggles to make ends meet to cover Willow’s medical expenses, Charlotte thinks she has found an answer. If she files a wrongful birth lawsuit against her ob/gyn for not telling her in advance that her child would be born severely disabled, the monetary payouts might ensure a lifetime of care for Willow. But it means that Charlotte has to get up in a court of law and say in public that she would have terminated the pregnancy if she’d known about the disability in advance – words that her husband can’t abide, that Willow will hear, and that Charlotte cannot reconcile. And the ob/gyn she’s suing isn’t just her physician – it’s her best friend.

Struggling to care for their daughter Willow, who was born with brittle bone disease, Charlotte and Sean O'Keefe add additional strain to their overburdened family life when they file a lawsuit against Charlotte's obstetrician.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,703,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible