Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Handle with Care: A Novel by Jodi Picoult

Handle with Care: A Novel (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Jodi Picoult

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (birdsam0307, kraaivrouw)
    From the Seeds of Sadness by Gemma M. Geisman (sewcrazy427)
    sewcrazy427: This is the true story of the young mother who became the founder of the Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation (OI Foundation) that is referenced in the back of "Handle With Care". Gemma Geisman gave birth to a son with OI back in the early 1950's when very little was known about the disease. "From the Seeds of Sadness" tells of her struggles with a breakable baby and how she fought for help, information and a cure for this rare bone disease. The OI Foundation will be celebrating it's 40th anniversary in 2010. This is a book well worth reading. Keep your tissues handy!… (more)

English (169)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (171)
If you watched the scene in Silver Linings Playbook, when Pat finishes Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms, then you'll know exactly how I felt after reading this book. Honestly. ( )
  WHAuden120 | May 6, 2014 |
Osteogenesis Imperfecta or OI. Before reading Jodi Picoult's books, I would never imagine there'd be such disorder. Cancers, autism disorders, and being born without limbs are common topics, but OI is new, so I'm more or less intrigued enough to plow on and finish reading this book.

The book is about a mother's struggle to fight her daughter's genetic disorder, affecting her own relationship with her husband and the other daughter. Quite a common theme for Jodi's book, but the cooking recipes at the end of almost every chapter make this book all the more special.

I wonder what I'd do if I were a mother with an imperfect child, but Ms. Picoult deftly plays out our emotion so that the book would not end up as just another sappy story. You'll learn about the disease (OI), you'll learn about fighting fates, and you'll learn about love - a mother's love to her daughter. What else can you expect from Jodi! ( )
  pwlifter300 | Feb 12, 2014 |
Another haunting Picoult novel, an everyday life turned inside out. Her books always cause me to examine the hard questions, but they are so wonderfully written that I can't turn away.

Bookcrossing: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/8350085/ ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 22, 2014 |
This one was really good and alot like My Sister's Keeper. It was very emotional. I didn't really like the ending. It gave you the "All that for nothing" feeling. ( )
  Emelymac | Jan 15, 2014 |
As always a story that makes you think about what you would do in the same situation. Given the opportunity to make money that will ensure the care of your disabled child but knowing you will destroy your most important friendship is a situation that no one would ever want to be put in. What would you do?

Told with typical Picoult style, the characters were well-developed and the story told with heart and compassion. I enjoyed it. ( )
  tinkerbellkk | Sep 14, 2013 |
For Marjorie Rose,
Who makes flowers bloom onstage,
Provides me with goss half a world away,
And knows you're never fully dressed
without a green bag.
BFFAA
Things break all the time.

When Charlotte and Sean O’Keefe’s daughter, Willow, is born with severe osteogenesis imperfecta, they are devastated – she will suffer hundreds of broken bones as she grows, a lifetime of pain. As the family struggles to make ends meet to cover Willow’s medical expenses, Charlotte thinks she has found an answer. If she files a wrongful birth lawsuit against her ob/gyn for not telling her in advance that her child would be born severely disabled, the monetary payouts might ensure a lifetime of care for Willow. But it means that Charlotte has to get up in a court of law and say in public that she would have terminated the pregnancy if she’d known about the disability in advance – words that her husband can’t abide, that Willow will hear, and that Charlotte cannot reconcile. And the ob/gyn she’s suing isn’t just her physician – it’s her best friend.

Struggling to care for their daughter Willow, who was born with brittle bone disease, Charlotte and Sean O'Keefe add additional strain to their overburdened family life when they file a lawsuit against Charlotte's obstetrician.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,740,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible