Handle with Care: A Novel by Jodi Picoult

Handle with Care: A Novel (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Jodi Picoult

3,2101901,731 (3.67)107
    From the Seeds of Sadness by Gemma M. Geisman (sewcrazy427)
    sewcrazy427: This is the true story of the young mother who became the founder of the Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation (OI Foundation) that is referenced in the back of "Handle With Care". Gemma Geisman gave birth to a son with OI back in the early 1950's when very little was known about the disease. "From the Seeds of Sadness" tells of her struggles with a breakable baby and how she fought for help, information and a cure for this rare bone disease. The OI Foundation will be celebrating it's 40th anniversary in 2010. This is a book well worth reading. Keep your tissues handy!… (more)
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (birdsam0307, kraaivrouw)

English (187)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (190)
My experience with Jodi Picoult books is really hit and miss. For me, it’s hard to read a book where the main character is someone I don’t like – because it’s like spending time with them. And I really didn’t like Charlotte O’Keefe. Maybe that was the point: I felt badly for her family and their situation.

But mostly, I just thought this one was an overly-long repeat of “My Sister’s Keeper”, with the same unlikeable bulldog, bullheaded mom, and the same dissatisfying ending.

I hate to say it, but it seems like Picoult’s books have become very formulaic, I keep hoping for another one as good as Plain Truth, The Pact, or Perfect Match.
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
-- For yrs. I eschewed Picoult's novels in libraries because jacket summaries didn't appeal to me. Then I found HANDLE WITH CARE in box near sidewalk. It's a novel but osteogenesis imperfecta (aka brittle bone disease) is a real disorder. Willow O'Keefe is born with OI. Story is told in first-person, & chapter titles are character names. For example in "Charlotte" voice is Willow's mother & in "Sean" it's her father. Novel is long, chapters are short, & sometimes this reader forgot who was speaking so rifled backwards. Besides a medical malpractice suit HANDLE WITH CARE includes some recipes. (Charlotte was a pastry chef.) -- ( )
  MinaIsham | May 2, 2016 |
This book was very good. I always like the way that Jodi Picoult can give you everyone's perspective and expose the human element in all the characters. I wanted to hate Charlotte but due to Jodi Picoults great writing I was able to see her point and imagine things from her perspective. This was a great read. ( )
  LaBla | Feb 6, 2016 |
My review can be found here:

[WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS]

http://yerawizardrenae.blogspot.com/2014/09/book-review-handle-with-care-by-jodi... ( )
  RenaeMcBrian | Jan 31, 2016 |
My review can be found here:

[WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS]

RenaeMcBrian | Jan 31, 2016 |
For Marjorie Rose,
Who makes flowers bloom onstage,
Provides me with goss half a world away,
And knows you're never fully dressed
without a green bag.
BFFAA
Things break all the time.

When Charlotte and Sean O’Keefe’s daughter, Willow, is born with severe osteogenesis imperfecta, they are devastated – she will suffer hundreds of broken bones as she grows, a lifetime of pain. As the family struggles to make ends meet to cover Willow’s medical expenses, Charlotte thinks she has found an answer. If she files a wrongful birth lawsuit against her ob/gyn for not telling her in advance that her child would be born severely disabled, the monetary payouts might ensure a lifetime of care for Willow. But it means that Charlotte has to get up in a court of law and say in public that she would have terminated the pregnancy if she’d known about the disability in advance – words that her husband can’t abide, that Willow will hear, and that Charlotte cannot reconcile. And the ob/gyn she’s suing isn’t just her physician – it’s her best friend.

Struggling to care for their daughter Willow, who was born with brittle bone disease, Charlotte and Sean O'Keefe add additional strain to their overburdened family life when they file a lawsuit against Charlotte's obstetrician.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,258,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible