Blue Diablo: A Corine Solomon Novel by Ann…

Blue Diablo: A Corine Solomon Novel (edition 2009)

by Ann Aguirre (Author)

Tags:2017, .Fiction, Urban Fantasy

Blue Diablo by Ann Aguirre

Blue Diablo by Ann Aguirre
A Corine Solomon Novel

18 months ago Corine Solomon left her lover and crossed the border to Mexico. She was fleeing her past and her gift, as a "handler". Which means that when she touch something she can know its past, and sometimes its future. She used it to find missing people - and that is now why people want to find her.

That is how her ex, Chance shows up in her store. He has an ability that gives him luck. Someone they both care about has gone missing and he needs her to find that someone, not to mention that he needs her too. Their search leads them into a world of dark magic, demons, zombies, witches and people that show her that she is not as alone as she first thought

I really did enjoy this book, and I knew it from the start. It is that kind of book that makes you want to continue reading, you feel the urge to know what is going to happen. It's an easy book to read, and it was just what I needed. It sure lifted my spirits after reading some not so good books. i felt that good books are still being written and this is one of them.

First of all I liked Corine, she is colourful (and then I am not talking about her clothes). I didn't know what to think about Chance at first, just as she struggled with her own emotions for him. But then I did want to see them together. Though I do confess that sexy cop Jesse Saldana sure stirred the blood when he showed up. He was a lovely surprise in the book.

This book sure had a bit of everything thrown in and perhaps that is why I liked it. It did feel different, and a good book needs that to stand out. What is better than dark magic, and then zombies too. Yes even those fitted in.

I do like a book that makes me giggle, and smile. Oh it has some really good bits in it, one that involved a conversation about some cakes and ice-cream after dinner sure made me giggle while I read it

So if you are on a lookout for a book invloving paranormal, romance, danger, and some fun times then this is the book for you.

How I am supposed to say something bad now..... ok, the cover, when Corine was described in the book I sure thought about her a certain way and that cover doesn't seem like her. The jeans, yes, but not the blouse. Lol, yes this really seems to be the only negative thing I can think of.

I will give this book 4/5 because I enjoyed it a lot, and I would recommend it to others.

It also made me want to read more of Aguirre's books since I haven't read her sci-fi books yet.

Blue Diablo comes out on April 7th ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
I liked this book. It starts off a little dreary, and I was worried that we were going to be saddled with a whiny, woe-is-me protagonist at first. But she's actually pretty sassy, and I laughed out loud a few times at her turns of phrase. There is some sexual tension with an ex - another one of those things that I worried would get old - but the Corine gradually learns that her perspective of their former relationship is just one side of the story.

This is a little darker than some that I usually read; I worried it would be too much so (like the totally gloom-and-doom The Becoming series by Jeanne Stein), but her sense of humor keeps it a bit more upbeat. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Warning: this book will make you crave Mexican food!!! (or at least it did for me, but I'm pregnant.) :) ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
RATING: 1.5 stars.

I don't know if it's the author's writing style (it must be, at least partially, as I had some trouble getting through Grimspace as well) but this one was hard to read through. The plot was very simple and straightforward, not that interesting; maybe not enough for a full novel, so the author fills pages and pages with Corine (the main - sort-of - character) contemplating her past relationship with Chance, her ex-boyfriend who appears on her doorstep at the beginning asking for her help to find his missing mother. Angsty thoughts and interactions between these two characters follow, sprinkled throughout the book, making it... well, boring.

The kidnapping is pushed to second plan, not given as much spotlight as the relationship talk. Ok, so it's normal to wonder what could have been but does Corine really need to do it every other chapter? Does she has to think about how she wants to jump Chance's bones and then angst because she can't that frequently? Do they have to have embarrassing and pointless conversations about how they misinterpreted each other in the past every other page? A little of all this might be called character development, but this much just reeks of filler.

Of course with this much focus of the status of the characters' relationship the plot wasn't properly explored and the resolution felt... flat. There was little foreshadowing (about who the evil warlock was, etc), the characters did little to no investigative work and most of the time they just stood around in a house.

World building was pretty bad as well. Okay, so there is a hidden world of practitioners but what exactly is a handler? How did Corine come by her gift (the explanation given is murky at best)? If Jesse is her mentor, why didn't he explain more about that world? The author would have gained more in setting the world in which the characters move than focusing on Corine and her ex (who does seem like he'll be present in the next book).

Honestly, I didn't like this one much. It was boring and underdeveloped in all the ways that mattered. I know Aguirre can do better, as I've read the first in her other series, "Grimspace" and enjoyed it a lot more. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
This book had everything I look for in a UF. It was dark and gritty, the plot was smart and interesting, the characters were tough and badass without losing their vulnerability, and of course the world building is fascinating. Corine is just the right balance of jaded and fragile and watching her discover layers to Chance that she never thought possible as well as having to examine his past behavior in a new light and what that might mean to her was so very real. Chuch and Eva, Booke and Jesse were fantastic secondary characters that fleshed out their world that much more. I can't wait to read the next one!
  darkand27 | Jul 28, 2013 |
Amazon preorder
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
It's fast-paced and entertaining and undoubtedly the first in a series, so we can look forward to revisiting Corine and her friends in a few months time when the next book comes out.

For Ivette, who is seven flavors of awesome cake...with sprinkles. I'm lucky to have a friend like you. (Andres said this dedication is totally cool with him.)
Right now, I’m a redhead.

I’ve been blonde and brunette as the situation requires, though an unscheduled color change usually means I need to relocate in the middle of the night or face people burning crosses on my lawn. I’ve set a new record, going on eighteen months in the same city, no consequences, no demonstrations, and for the last year, I’ve been a respectable business owner to boot. Maybe I should knock wood

Right now, I’m a redhead. I’ve been blonde and brunette as the situation requires, though an unscheduled color change usually means relocating in the middle of the night. So far, I’m doing well here. Nobody knows what I’m running from. And I’d like to keep it that way…

Eighteen months ago, Corine Solomon crossed the border to Mexico City, fleeing her past, her lover, and her “gift”. Corine, a handler, can touch something and know its history—and sometimes, its future. Using her ability, she can find the missing—and that’s why people never stop trying to find her. People like her ex, Chance…

Chance, whose uncanny luck has led him to her doorstep, needs her help. Someone dear to them both has gone missing in Laredo, Texas, and the only hope of finding her is through Corine’s gift. But their search may prove dangerous as the trail leads them into a strange dark world of demons and sorcerers, ghosts and witchcraft, zombies—and black magic…

Corine Solomon is a handler--when she touches an object she instantly knows its history and its future. Using her ability, she can find the missing, which is why people never stop trying to find her. Like her ex-boyfriend Chance, who needs Corine's gift to find someone dear to them both. But the search proves dangerous as it leads them into a strange world of demons and sorcerers, ghosts and witchcraft, zombies, and black magic.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,481,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible