Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Moonstone: Unbidden Magic (Volume 1) by…

Moonstone: Unbidden Magic (Volume 1) (edition 2008)

by Marilee Brothers (Author)

Member:dustydigger
Title:Moonstone: Unbidden Magic (Volume 1)
Authors:Marilee Brothers (Author)
Info:Bell Bridge Books (2008), 236 pages
Rating:***
Tags:young adult, 2014 : my reads, marilee brothers

Moonstone by Marilee Brothers

Pretty good. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
This story is about a girl (Alfrieda aka Allie) who lives with her rather useless mom in a small camper trailer on her uncle���������s property. She gets electrocuted and knocked into a bull pasture in time for the bull to charge at her. But unexpectedly she thinks about the bull backing away and it happens. From there her world gets weirder and weirder when she gets a moonstone necklace from her friend Kizzy and things begin to get even crazier. Kizzy gets beat up and on her way there an unexpected friend helps her out. From there we have the introduction of a cute possible love interest in Junior. They dig for clues together and find things get harder and harder. With not knowing who to trust and who not to she finds herself in a battle to save her mothers life. An absent father rings in to help a little but indirectly and offers to get to know her after 15 years of not caring. How will this story progress?

Being the first for this series it was pretty good. I found that the flow of the book went well and I even liked Junior and Allie and even Corey. There were times that things seemed rushed but all in all at least it wasn���������t bugged down with too many details. I would definitely recommend and am looking forward to reading the next in line.
  jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |
This story is about a girl (Alfrieda aka Allie) who lives with her rather useless mom in a small camper trailer on her uncle���s property. She gets electrocuted and knocked into a bull pasture in time for the bull to charge at her. But unexpectedly she thinks about the bull backing away and it happens. From there her world gets weirder and weirder when she gets a moonstone necklace from her friend Kizzy and things begin to get even crazier. Kizzy gets beat up and on her way there an unexpected friend helps her out. From there we have the introduction of a cute possible love interest in Junior. They dig for clues together and find things get harder and harder. With not knowing who to trust and who not to she finds herself in a battle to save her mothers life. An absent father rings in to help a little but indirectly and offers to get to know her after 15 years of not caring. How will this story progress?

Being the first for this series it was pretty good. I found that the flow of the book went well and I even liked Junior and Allie and even Corey. There were times that things seemed rushed but all in all at least it wasn���t bugged down with too many details. I would definitely recommend and am looking forward to reading the next in line.
  jesssika | Sep 9, 2014 |
Started off well. I liked the character and her grappling with her new powers. The ending I found disappointing. I was disturbed by the violence, though heartened by Allie's response to it. This is the first of a trilogy, but I'm not sure I will pursue the others. ( )
  njcur | Aug 19, 2014 |
This is yet another book I got from Netgalley to review. It came in a bundle with the other 3 books of this series.
When I sat down to read it, I thought that it will probably be just like any other light book, but honestly - I liked it. It had a constant diary style voice, and in my opinion that fit with the narrator - 15 year old Allie (Alfrieda).
I loved her feisty character, loved how much she cared about the people she loved. Well, I didn't like it when she was trying to lie to her mom, but point for mom (Faye) - she always saw through the lies.

Also, until it came to be, I had no idea which of the boys would end up in a romantic relationship with Allie. But then came Junior Martinez - a total Latino hottie, who knew not to cross the boundaries with that particular girl. Because she's dangerous, powerful and not one to mess with.

The story was light, and at the same time intense. There was love, there was action, there was paranormal activity. In four words: it had it all.

Well, there were some grammar mistakes (missing conjugates and such), so yeah it kind of needs some minor editing. But really, nothing major.

The characters:
*Allie - Well she's a girl who can't be messed with. She protects her friends, and generally the weak. Sometimes she saves the bullies from the strongest of the day. Good thing is that she can also save herself, and she doesn't hesitate one second when she has to put her life in danger in order to protect her mom.

*Faye - Allie's mom who is a really irresponsible adult. She and Allie live in a trailer, and Faye doesn't care to do anything to change the situation. In many cases, Allie is the adult, while Faye is the disobedient child.

*Kizzy - that's who kind of got it all spinning. But without her, I think that Allie might not have had half as much confidence in herself as she does now.

*Junior - oh well, what can I say? He's absolutely yummy. He's the hot guy who grabs the girls' hearts and doesn't let go.

This is a very good book for 14-16 year old girls. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |

MOONSTONE A Fictionwise Fantasy bestseller Young Adult A sickly mom. A tiny house trailer. High school bullies and snarky drama queens. Bad-guy dudes with charming smiles. Allie has problems. And then there's that whole thing about fulfilling a magical prophecy and saving the world from evil. Geez. Welcome to the sad, funny, sometimes-scary world of fifteen-year-old Allie Emerson, who's struggling to keep her and her mom's act together in the small-town world of Peacock Flats, Washington. An electrical zap from a TV antenna sets off Allie's weird psychic powers. The next thing she knows she's being visited by a hippy-dippy guardian angel, and then her mysterious neighbor, the town "witch," gives her an incredible moonstone pendant that has powers only a good-hearted "Star Seeker" is meant to command. "Who, me?" is Allie's first reaction. But as sinister events begin to unfold, Allie realizes she's got a destiny to live up to. If she can just survive everyday life, in the meantime. Marilee Brothers is a former high school teacher turned full-time author. She's married to her college sweetheart, and they have three sons. Marilee lives in Washington State, where she's hard at work on more books in the Moonstone series. You can visit her website at www.marileebrothers.com. Reviews: Cross Twilight with a Stephanie Plum book, and you'll get Moonstone. It's supernatural and smart, funny and affecting. I didn't want to put the book down. I cannot wait to read the next part of Allie's story. – unmainstreammomreads.blogspot.com “A gem of a book. An author to watch.” – YoungAdultBooksCentral.com I can't wait to see what happens next for Allie. I encourage you to pick up a copy today. – Great Reads Review.com Full of magic, twists, and pure fun, Moonstone is the first in a new young adult paranormal series. The characters come to life in this shining debut. I look forward to reading more about Allie and the Star Seekers. What a wonderful book! Wendy’s Minding Spot “Filled with emotion, made more so for the reader as we watch this well-balanced young woman cope with a very unbalanced life. You can’t help but respect Allie for stepping up and taking charge of her future, and the surprising hero is sure to worm his way into your heart. I’ll be looking forward to seeing how Allie’s changed world grows in the next installment.” Kimberly Swan, Darque Reviews Moonstone nicely establishes a solid back story and cast of characters to launch the next volume in the series. Recommended. SciFiGuy.caet Must captures you and she knows how to write a great story. The pace of the book was just rig This is another [see her review for Bite Me] good choice for public library teen/fantasy collections - I look forward to the next title in this series. – Simone Sidwell, Teen Librarian, Grinnell Stewart Public Library GreenBeanTeenQueen Says: With so many paranormal young adult books out right now it's hard for each one to be different or stand out. Marilee Brothers succeeds in creating a fun original heroine in Allie. Sarah Bean, The Library Center, Springfield, Missouri A great start to a new series filled romance, paranormal, finding yourself, and family drama which just equals fun. I love how Allie discovers something new about herself, that changes her outlook on life. I'm already looking forward to the next book. http://yabooknerd.blogspot.com/ Jennifer Rummel Head of YA department Otis Library, Norwich, Connecticut

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:04 -0400)

Welcome to the funny, sad, sometimes scary world of fifteen-year-old Allie Emerson, who's struggling to keep her act together in the small-town world of Peacock Flats, Washington. A zap from an electrical fence sets off Allie's weird psychic powers. The next thing she knows, she's being visited by a hippy-dippy guardian angel, and then her mysterious neighbor, the town witch, gives her an incredible moonstone pendant that has powers only a "Star Seeker" is meant to command. "Who me?" is Allie's first reaction. But as sinister events begin to unfold, Allie realizes she's got a destiny far bigger than she ever imagined.… (more)

Marilee Brothers is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Bell Bridge Books

An edition of this book was published by Bell Bridge Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,479,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible