Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver…

Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat (original 1985; edition 2011)

by Oliver W. Sacks

Member:Arten60
Title:Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat
Authors:Oliver W. Sacks
Info:Picador USA (2011), Paperback, 256 pages

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver Sacks (1985)

The Tell-Tale Brain by V. S. Ramachandran (lorax)
    Toscanini's Fumble: And Other Tales of Clinical Neurology by Harold L. Klawans (joririchardson)
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (hnau)
    hnau: Science fiction inspired by the works of Oliver Sacks (among others).
    Do Zombies Dream of Undead Sheep?: A Neuroscientific View of the Zombie Brain by Timothy Verstynen (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: A humorous and decidedly irreverent take on neuroscience which nonetheless manages to be incredibly informative.
    The Man Who Forgot How to Read: A Memoir by Howard Engel (meggyweg)
    Fractured Minds: A Case-Study Approach to Clinical Neuropsychology by Jenni A. Ogden (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: I read this for pleasure but have since learned it's used as a textbook. Quite probably it's not got so broad an appeal as Sack's (interesting and well-written) book but to me the Ogden not only seems more substantial but it's even more the page-turner.
    Love's Executioner & Other Tales of Psychotherapy by Irvin D. Yalom (clairecc)
    Bomb in the Brain : A Heroic Tale of Science, Surgery, and Survival by Steve Fishman (meggyweg)
    The Barmaid's Brain: And Other Strange Tales from Science by Jay Ingram (geophile)
    Awakenings by Oliver Sacks (chwiggy)
    Descartes' Error: Emotion, Reason, and the Human Brain by Antonio Damasio (ShaneTierney)
    The Burning House by Jay Ingram (geophile)
    A Journey Round My Skull by Frigyes Karinthy (meggyweg)
    On the Move: A Life by Oliver Sacks (chwiggy)
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey may be paired with The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat by Oliver Sacks or even Awakenings by the same author. All three books explore the idea that once a person becomes ill or is institutionalised, they lose their rights and privileges.… (more)

English (99)  Italian (6)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (114)
I'm putting this book down, unfinished, after skimming the last few pages. While these cases are interesting I find the writing to be wordy, pretentious, and repetitive. The information is too outdated (but also not yet antique enough) to evoke any sort of learning or curiosity in me as a psychology major and history lover. ( )
  ToriC90 | May 11, 2016 |
Oliver Sacks explores some of the things that can go wrong because of brain injuries through a series of case studies.

Through bizarre and moving accounts of some of his patients, the author pleads by example for patients to be seen not just as neurological puzzles and symptoms but as human beings with emotional needs and responses. Even those with low IQs can respond to symbols and stories, ways of thinking which the modern West has devalued in favour of logic and proveable fact. We need both and the author shows why and how it can be done. A marvellous book. ( )
  Robertgreaves | May 9, 2016 |
Frank Muller
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
I really did enjoy this, although I did find it heavy at times and somewhat confusing with the terminology thrown in. I also found myself often reminding myself of the time period this book was written when an unpleasant description comes along, haha. ( )
  ShayLRoss | Mar 16, 2016 |
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks
243 pages

★★★ ½

Oliver Sacks is a fairly famous neurologist and in this book he recounts some of his patients with more unique neurological issues…such as the man who mistook his wife for a hat…true story! This is one of his early books, written nearly 30 years ago and it does show its age but it’s a good book none-the-less. I still hoped to like it a bit more than I did.

Let me start by saying that the stories found in this book are quite interesting for the most part. A lot has changed medically in the last 30 years (some of these stories taking place as far back as the 1960s, early in Sack’s own career) so not all the stories are maybe as puzzling as they were back then. The stories can sometimes be quite clinical, after all, the author is a clinical doctor and the subtitle of the book is and Other Clinical Tales so don’t go in being too shocked that there is a lot of medical jargon. Unfortunately some of that jargon bored me and I probably shouldn’t have read the book late at night, as I was falling asleep, since it caused a lot to go over my head. Also keep in mind that this book was written before there was so much political correctness out there. The patients are often called retarded, idiots, morons, etc. I tell you so you are prepared but remember, we can’t judge yesterday’s people by today’s standards, it’s just the way it was and it’s fairly obvious Oliver Sacks means no ill will and indeed adores his patients, regardless of the titles given at the time.

A good book but definitely not for all. The tales are interesting and I have an affinity towards to different and rare. Just remember it is not a light read but it can be a quick one at just over 200 pages (more pages are reference). Oliver Sacks has many other books out and I look forward to reading some of them, as they seem quite interesting, just like this one!
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
In addition to possessing the technical skills of a 20th-century doctor, the London-born Dr. Sacks, a professor of clinical neurology at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx, sees the human condition like a philosopher-poet. The resultant mixture is insightful, compassionate, moving and, on occasion, simply infuriating. One could call these essays neurological case histories, and correctly so, although Dr. Sacks' own expression -''clinical tales'' - is far more apt. Dr. Sacks tells some two dozen stories about people who are also patients, and who manifest strange and striking peculiarities of perception, emotion, language, thought, memory or action. And he recounts these histories with the lucidity and power of a gifted short-story writer.

The book deserves to be widely read whether for its message, or as an easy introduction to neurological symptoms, or simply as a collection of moving tales. The reader should, however, bring to it a little scepticism, for outside Sack's clinic, things do not always fall out quite so pat.
added by jlelliott | editNature, Stuart Sutherland (pay site) (Dec 26, 1985)

Sacks, Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cassel, BooTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moll-Huber, P.M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morena, ClaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wensinck, F.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To talk of diseases is a sort of Arabian Nights entertainment.

- William Osler
The physician is concerned (unlike the naturalist)... with a single organism, the human subject, striving to preserve its identity in adverse circumstances.

- Ivy McKenzie
To Leonard Shengold, M.D.
Neurology's favorite word is 'deficit', denoting an impairment or incapacity of neurological function: loss of speech, loss of language, loss of memory, loss of vision, loss of dexterity, loss of identity and myriad other lacks and losses of specific functions (or faculties).
To talk of diseases is a sort of Arabian Nights entertainement / Wiliam Osler
The physician is concerned (unlike the naturalist) ... with a single organism, the human subject, striving to preserve its identity in adverse circumstances. / Ivy McKenzie
Author Oliver Sacks

A romantic rendering of the daily sufferings of people with relatively obscure neurological issues.
Neurology doctor
Studies people as people
Not sacks for strange brains (Marissa_Baden)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:07 -0400)

In his most extraordinary book, "one of the great clinical writers of the 20th century" (The New York Times) recounts the case histories of patients lost in the bizarre, apparently inescapable world of neurological disorders. Oliver Sacks's The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat tells the stories of individuals afflicted with fantastic perceptual and intellectual aberrations: patients who have lost their memories and with them the greater part of their pasts; who are no longer able to recognize people and common objects; who are stricken with violent tics and grimaces or who shout involuntary obscenities; whose limbs have become alien; who have been dismissed as retarded yet are gifted with uncanny artistic or mathematical talents. If inconceivably strange, these brilliant tales remain, in Dr. Sacks's splendid and sympathetic telling, deeply human. They are studies of life struggling against incredible adversity, and they enable us to enter the world of the neurologically impaired, to imagine with our hearts what it must be to live and feel as they do. A great healer, Sacks never loses sight of medicine's ultimate responsibility: "the suffering, afflicted, fighting human subject."… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,802,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible