Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver…

Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat (original 1985; edition 2011)

by Oliver W. Sacks

Member:Arten60
Title:Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat
Authors:Oliver W. Sacks
Info:Picador USA (2011), Paperback, 256 pages

The man who mistook his wife for a hat and other clinical tales by Oliver Sacks (1985)

Recently added byZedAmadeo, Marie_Powell, ian.attwood, marianmjv, bweegenaar, private library, sdmouton, chemical404, rmahika, suzyblack
Legacy LibrariesSusan Sontag
    The Tell-Tale Brain by V. S. Ramachandran (lorax)
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (hnau)
    hnau: Science fiction inspired by the works of Oliver Sacks (among others).
    Toscanini's Fumble: And Other Tales of Clinical Neurology by Harold L. Klawans (joririchardson)
    Do Zombies Dream of Undead Sheep?: A Neuroscientific View of the Zombie Brain by Timothy Verstynen (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: A humorous and decidedly irreverent take on neuroscience which nonetheless manages to be incredibly informative.
    The Man Who Forgot How to Read: A Memoir by Howard Engel (meggyweg)
    Fractured Minds: A Case-Study Approach to Clinical Neuropsychology by Jenni A. Ogden (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: I read this for pleasure but have since learned it's used as a textbook. Quite probably it's not got so broad an appeal as Sack's (interesting and well-written) book but to me the Ogden not only seems more substantial but it's even more the page-turner.
    Love's Executioner & Other Tales of Psychotherapy by Irvin D. Yalom (clairecc)
    Bomb in the Brain : A Heroic Tale of Science, Surgery, and Survival by Steve Fishman (meggyweg)
    The Barmaid's Brain: And Other Strange Tales from Science by Jay Ingram (geophile)
    Descartes' Error: Emotion, Reason, and the Human Brain by Antonio Damasio (ShaneTierney)
    The Burning House by Jay Ingram (geophile)
    A Journey Round My Skull by Frigyes Karinthy (meggyweg)
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey may be paired with The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat by Oliver Sacks or even Awakenings by the same author. All three books explore the idea that once a person becomes ill or is institutionalised, they lose their rights and privileges.… (more)

English (81)  Italian (5)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (95)
Utterly fascinating and engaging, while also offering an important view of the brain. ( )
  LauraCLM | May 6, 2015 |
This is a fantastic book. I am so glad I finally read it. Oliver Sacks is a neurologist who tells the stories of some of his clients. This was so very interesting. I really can use some of this information but unfortunately I listened this on audio and now I will have to buy this book because I just have to have it. I enjoyed every story; the one about Tourette Syndrome and the one on the calendar calculators actually remind me of some clients that I have had in my practice and the one on hallucinations was very good too. While the audio was good, it you really have an interest in this subject I recommend getting the dead tree version. ( )
  Kristelh | Apr 22, 2015 |
Collections of clinical anecdotes, like most of his books. ( )
  librisissimo | Mar 24, 2015 |
Collections of clinical anecdotes, like most of his books. ( )
  librisissimo | Mar 24, 2015 |
I nearly quit this book halfway through. Its contents are rather disconnected stories of people with different cognitive deficits. While it offers some insightful commentary on what it means to think well, I found the contents more sad than I like.

While I appreciated the author's medical and sometimes nueroscientific perspective, I often wished for more details about the treatment and solutions to the problems he presented. There was a great focus throughout the book on diagnosis, but much less on treatment and coping mechanisms. The author's writing is sometimes stiff and overly formal, but such can be expected from a doctor.

My favorite story in the volume was of an old woman who had actually benefited from a notorious neurodegenerative illness, which she knew as "Cupid's". It was cute, funny, and educational. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
In addition to possessing the technical skills of a 20th-century doctor, the London-born Dr. Sacks, a professor of clinical neurology at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx, sees the human condition like a philosopher-poet. The resultant mixture is insightful, compassionate, moving and, on occasion, simply infuriating. One could call these essays neurological case histories, and correctly so, although Dr. Sacks' own expression -''clinical tales'' - is far more apt. Dr. Sacks tells some two dozen stories about people who are also patients, and who manifest strange and striking peculiarities of perception, emotion, language, thought, memory or action. And he recounts these histories with the lucidity and power of a gifted short-story writer.

The book deserves to be widely read whether for its message, or as an easy introduction to neurological symptoms, or simply as a collection of moving tales. The reader should, however, bring to it a little scepticism, for outside Sack's clinic, things do not always fall out quite so pat.
added by jlelliott | editNature, Stuart Sutherland (pay site) (Dec 26, 1985)

Sacks, Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cassel, BooTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moll-Huber, P.M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morena, ClaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wensinck, F.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To talk of diseases is a sort of Arabian Nights entertainment.

- William Osler
The physician is concerned (unlike the naturalist)... with a single organism, the human subject, striving to preserve its identity in adverse circumstances.

- Ivy McKenzie
To Leonard Shengold, M.D.
Neurology's favorite word is 'deficit', denoting an impairment or incapacity of neurological function: loss of speech, loss of language, loss of memory, loss of vision, loss of dexterity, loss of identity and myriad other lacks and losses of specific functions (or faculties).
Author Oliver Sacks

A romantic rendering of the daily sufferings of people with relatively obscure neurological issues.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:14 -0400)

In his most extraordinary book, "one of the great clinical writers of the 20th century" (The New York Times) recounts the case histories of patients lost in the bizarre, apparently inescapable world of neurological disorders. Oliver Sacks's The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat tells the stories of individuals afflicted with fantastic perceptual and intellectual aberrations: patients who have lost their memories and with them the greater part of their pasts; who are no longer able to recognize people and common objects; who are stricken with violent tics and grimaces or who shout involuntary obscenities; whose limbs have become alien; who have been dismissed as retarded yet are gifted with uncanny artistic or mathematical talents. If inconceivably strange, these brilliant tales remain, in Dr. Sacks's splendid and sympathetic telling, deeply human. They are studies of life struggling against incredible adversity, and they enable us to enter the world of the neurologically impaired, to imagine with our hearts what it must be to live and feel as they do. A great healer, Sacks never loses sight of medicine's ultimate responsibility: "the suffering, afflicted, fighting human subject."… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,218,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible