The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat: And…

The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat: And Other Clinical Tales (original 1985; edition 1998)

by Oliver Sacks

Member:anniephan
Title:The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat: And Other Clinical Tales
Authors:Oliver Sacks
Info:Touchstone (1998), Paperback, 256 pages

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver Sacks (1985)

The Tell-Tale Brain by V. S. Ramachandran (lorax)
    Toscanini's Fumble: And Other Tales of Clinical Neurology by Harold L. Klawans (joririchardson)
    Fractured Minds: A Case-Study Approach to Clinical Neuropsychology by Jenni A. Ogden (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: I read this for pleasure but have since learned it's used as a textbook. Quite probably it's not got so broad an appeal as Sacks' book but to me the Ogden not only seems more substantial but it's even more the page-turner.
    Do Zombies Dream of Undead Sheep?: A Neuroscientific View of the Zombie Brain by Timothy Verstynen (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: A humorous and decidedly irreverent take on neuroscience which nonetheless manages to be incredibly informative.
    Awakenings by Oliver Sacks (chwiggy)
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (hnau)
    hnau: Science fiction inspired by the works of Oliver Sacks (among others).
    The Man Who Forgot How to Read: A Memoir by Howard Engel (meggyweg)
    Bomb in the Brain : A Heroic Tale of Science, Surgery, and Survival by Steve Fishman (meggyweg)
    Love's Executioner & Other Tales of Psychotherapy by Irvin D. Yalom (clairecc)
    The Barmaid's Brain: And Other Strange Tales from Science by Jay Ingram (geophile)
    On the Move: A Life by Oliver Sacks (chwiggy)
    The Burning House by Jay Ingram (geophile)
    The Rationality of Emotion by Ronald De Sousa (ShaneTierney)
    A Journey Round My Skull by Frigyes Karinthy (meggyweg)
    Descartes' Error: Emotion, Reason, and the Human Brain by Antonio Damasio (ShaneTierney)
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey may be paired with The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat by Oliver Sacks or even Awakenings by the same author. All three books explore the idea that once a person becomes ill or is institutionalised, they lose their rights and privileges.… (more)

English (116)  Italian (6)  German (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (132)
I guess I was expecting better. It was an interesting read but a little disappointing. ( )
  DebbyEisemann | Sep 29, 2018 |
Oliver Sacks was a neurologist, working with clients that exhibited an array of psychological maladies. Rather than only express how strange these patients were, Sacks goes deeper. He wants to know the root of these people, the Person underneath their illnesses. And that's where The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat shines. Oliver Sacks is endearing and blessed with a kind heart. We, the readers, can only gain from his kindnesses. ( )
  JaredOrlando | Aug 27, 2018 |
Great! ( )
  billymosse | Jun 18, 2018 |
This was one of those books that I kept seeing mentioned throughout GoodReads.. the title alone was enough to make me curious. Being unable to find this book in any library, I promptly forgot about it - this isn't the sort of book I'd go out of my way to buy, after all. I ended up finding this for sale at the Church Bazaar, and quickly snatched it up.

The book was interesting, but it isn't something that I would go out of my way to read a second time. It struck me as closer to a reference manual than any sort of literature, and in the end raised some interesting philosophical questions. The case studies were fascinating, the problems that the brain can cause (and at times resolve) were equally fascinating, and in the end, the book had me nodding along.

I do think the boo deserves wide readership, if only so that people with different mental states can be better understood. I wouldn't call this a classical read or anything like that. It was interesting, the brain is strange, and the questions raised are enough to twig my writer side. All in all, a decent book. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Oliver Sacks has a way with getting to the heart and soul of a problem. He is able to write with compassion about people who are dealing with very difficult brain disorders/diseases.

The book isn't perfect. Some of the stories, especially the ones written early, are a too scientific, written with a detachment. My favorite stories are the ones that highlight the humanity of person.

It is originally published in the 1985. Terminology has changed since than, and some of the terms he uses, while scientifically correct for 1984, sounds offensive. I also suspect that much of the diagnoses and treatments have changed incredibly since this book was written. So in some ways, its an out of date book.

In other ways, the book is still a great read. The brain is an amazing organ - and Mr. Sacks is able to explain what is happening in a way that doesn't dumb down the topic, but manages to simplify it in a way that makes sense to the story. Mental Health is still struggling between what is best for the patient, how much is behavior part of the disease vs who that person is. It is too easy to see people as a list of symptom, while missing the greater whole. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | May 28, 2018 |
In addition to possessing the technical skills of a 20th-century doctor, the London-born Dr. Sacks, a professor of clinical neurology at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx, sees the human condition like a philosopher-poet. The resultant mixture is insightful, compassionate, moving and, on occasion, simply infuriating. One could call these essays neurological case histories, and correctly so, although Dr. Sacks' own expression -''clinical tales'' - is far more apt. Dr. Sacks tells some two dozen stories about people who are also patients, and who manifest strange and striking peculiarities of perception, emotion, language, thought, memory or action. And he recounts these histories with the lucidity and power of a gifted short-story writer.

The book deserves to be widely read whether for its message, or as an easy introduction to neurological symptoms, or simply as a collection of moving tales. The reader should, however, bring to it a little scepticism, for outside Sack's clinic, things do not always fall out quite so pat.
added by jlelliott | editNature, Stuart Sutherland (pay site) (Dec 26, 1985)

Sacks, Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cassel, BooTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goldberg, CarinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moll-Huber, P.M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morena, ClaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wensinck, F.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To talk of diseases is a sort of Arabian Nights entertainment.

- William Osler
The physician is concerned (unlike the naturalist)... with a single organism, the human subject, striving to preserve its identity in adverse circumstances.

- Ivy McKenzie
To Leonard Shengold, M.D.
Neurology's favorite word is 'deficit', denoting an impairment or incapacity of neurological function: loss of speech, loss of language, loss of memory, loss of vision, loss of dexterity, loss of identity and myriad other lacks and losses of specific functions (or faculties).
To talk of diseases is a sort of Arabian Nights entertainement / Wiliam Osler
The physician is concerned (unlike the naturalist) ... with a single organism, the human subject, striving to preserve its identity in adverse circumstances. / Ivy McKenzie
Author Oliver Sacks

A romantic rendering of the daily sufferings of people with relatively obscure neurological issues.
Neurology doctor
Studies people as people
Not sacks for strange brains (Marissa_Baden)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:07 -0400)

In his most extraordinary book, "one of the great clinical writers of the 20th century" (The New York Times) recounts the case histories of patients lost in the bizarre, apparently inescapable world of neurological disorders. Oliver Sacks's The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat tells the stories of individuals afflicted with fantastic perceptual and intellectual aberrations: patients who have lost their memories and with them the greater part of their pasts; who are no longer able to recognize people and common objects; who are stricken with violent tics and grimaces or who shout involuntary obscenities; whose limbs have become alien; who have been dismissed as retarded yet are gifted with uncanny artistic or mathematical talents. If inconceivably strange, these brilliant tales remain, in Dr. Sacks's splendid and sympathetic telling, deeply human. They are studies of life struggling against incredible adversity, and they enable us to enter the world of the neurologically impaired, to imagine with our hearts what it must be to live and feel as they do. A great healer, Sacks never loses sight of medicine's ultimate responsibility: "the suffering, afflicted, fighting human subject."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,652,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible