The Rapture Question Answered: Plain and…

The Rapture Question Answered: Plain and Simple

by Robert D. Van Kampen

1121162,584 (4)None

I want to thank Mr. Van Kamen for writing this book. Although my eschatology differs from that of the author, I always appreciate a challenge to my understanding and Van Kampen has given me the opportunity to really think through why I believe as I do.

My only criticism of the text is that sometimes it comes off as a rant. While the author and I agree with respect to hermeneutics, good God fearing people may differ with his conclusions. The author almost approaches insulting those with differing views. This for me was the major drawback of the book.

My understanding is that eschatological views are acceptably diverse. While Van Kampen claims that some (or all) of the early church fathers would agree with him, the orthodox creeds to not go so far as to state his view. For this view, I believe Van Kampens proposal is a possibility along with others (albeit a very good one).

From a review perspective, Van Kampen's argument is based highly based on textual analysis of apparently parallel passages. This is a very good method and shows the strength of his argument. Knowledge of Greek, common sense, and plain reading however has, in the past, lead others (such as Joseph Smith) to heresy. So I am still trying to understand his point from a theological perspective; his major attack is against pretribulation rapture advocates.

Theologically why is the "wrath of Satan" required for the church to be raptured? If the pre-wrath view is correct then what is the reason for it? I'm not buying the "purification of the church" argument.

His view of "the Day of the Lord" seems quite narrow; God judging wicked people at a single point in time. If this is the case, a large amount of wicked and many martyrs are not dealt with satisfactorily. As the author points out when he talks about creation in six literal days, then why isn't the "day of the Lord' a literal day.

Nevertheless I have really enjoyed having arguments in my head only to have them addressed in the text. For that reason I trust that Mr. Van Kampen only wishes to challenge my faith through thorough knowledge of the scripture. ( )
  tillywern | Oct 3, 2013 |

Answers the question surrounding the Rapture of the church at Christ's second coming and the timing of the end time events, as clearly taught in Scripture.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,398,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible