Plague Ship by Andre Norton

Plague Ship (edition 1973)

by Andre Norton

In the distant future, interstellar trade is as vital to survival as were the spice trading missions of the medieval and early modern periods. In Plague Ship , science fiction author Andre Norton details a series of interstellar trade missions that don't go exactly as planned, leading to unforeseen consequences that have the potential to imperil the delicate economic balance of the entire galaxy.… (more)
Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Plague Ship
Authors:Andre Norton
Info:Ace (1973), Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read, Cover maybe done
Tags:Fic, SF, !dunno, __check_cover

Plague Ship by Andre Norton

Again I was astonished how well these 70 year old "classics" (is it allowed to call a pulp a classic) hold up. Nowadays this novel would be probably marketed as YA SF, but all in all it's still an entertaining, solid adventure with interesting, though exclusively male (even the cat!) characters.Of course, some more alien-ness from the aliens, some more nuances especially in the side characters and perhaps a real antagonist would've been nice,but that's not what a fast-paced story like this can and wants to deliver. ( )
  DeusXMachina | Apr 20, 2019 |
More adventures of the Solar Queen crew. Engaging and entertaining, even if pretty simplistic by today's standards.
  supremumlimit | Jan 6, 2015 |
First off - my scifi reading background for reference: I started out reading mostly contemporary 00's-10's science fiction, and occasionally read very few of the early scifi works of 1920's and 1930's.

This was my first Andre Norton book.

Even taking into the account the fact that Plague Ship was written in the 50's I found it utterly unimpressive, very flat, with highly improbable characters, aliens, and their interaction.
The story didn't have much to it. I did manage to get some salvage out of the book - like some small curious ideas mainly to do with the microecology of the ship. But in the end not a good read for a contemporary science fiction enthusiast at this day and age. ( )
  Vvolodymyr | Oct 14, 2012 |
The first time I read this, I was chewing my fingernails down to the bone trying to see how the Queen would get out of this one. Of course, I was maybe nine then. This time - a few tense moments, though I knew in general all would be well, and several belly laughs - on Sargol, on the ship (Sinbad's reaction to the critters, and the Hoobat's hunting technique), and the ending. I do like Dane. The oddest thing about this series is how firmly it _is_ a series; again, the end of this one sets up and foreshadows the next book. Fun. And having read later books, including the more recent co-written ones - events echo forward as well, Derelict for Trade in particular makes a lot of references to Plague Ship, from them having been Posted to what they would have done had they truly been infected. It makes things very rich. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jun 19, 2011 |

Andre Nortonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nelson, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dane Thorson, Cargo-master-apprentice of the Solar Queen, Galactic Free Trader spacer, Terra registry, stood in the middle of the ship's cramped bather while Rip Shannon, assistant Astrogator and his senior in the service of Trade by some four years, applied gobs of highly scented paste to the skin between Dane's rather prominent shoulder blades.

From the back:

Lured by exotic gems and valuable oils the crew of the space trader Solar Queen landed on the newly discovered planet Sargol only to find their most ruthless competitor there ahead of them. Still, they tried for fair trade, even according to the sly rules of the strangely feline, native Saliriki.

But after takeoff they found they had a plague on board, the trachery of someone who'd been on Sargo. Although they'd begun to run out of supplies, they couldn't land or they might start an interplanetary epideimc...

...And the galaxy had orderd that the Solar Queen be destroyed on sight!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,181,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible