Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary

Ramona the Pest (1968)

by Beverly Cleary

Series: Ramona Quimby (2)

Clementine by Sara Pennypacker (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: If you like Ramona, you will love Clementine -- another spunky, lovable heroine.

English (95)  Spanish (1)  All languages (96)
This book was a good read for the late elementary grades. I feel like this book is really engaging and another way to get children to read. Ramona is very relatable. Overall, I would implement this book in my classroom library and would enncourage students to check out from the library. ( )
  AveryLong | Nov 25, 2018 |
In the second book of the Ramona series, Ramona Quimby is far less obnoxious than in "Bezus and Ramona." That's definitely a good thing. Perhaps Mrs. Quimby learned a few good discipline techniques between the first and second volume.
Ramona starts kindergarten, and things go well for a while, but inevitably something eventually goes wrong, and Ramona decides she is through with school. Her teacher doesn't love her anymore, so she's not going to return. ( )
  fingerpost | Oct 16, 2018 |
This book would be a great read aloud in the classroom because It is about a kindergarten/first grade girl, who has waited to go to school her whole life. I think this would be a good book to read at the beginning of the year to introduce the topic of being excited for school. This book adds a good sense of humor that the students would love. ( )
  Megan_Morant | Apr 16, 2018 |
I read this aloud to my five- and seven-year-old daughters. They loved it. I enjoyed reading it to them. I chose it because my five-year-old was just starting Kindergarten. So she liked it for that reason. There were several LOL moments for them. I remember having this book read aloud to me by one of my elementary school teachers, though I can't remember which grade. It was nice to share it with my kids. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
I listened to the audio version of this with my children. It's narrated by Stockard Channing and she does a fabulous job. I recommend this book to any mother -- your kids might enjoy it, but from a parent's perspective, it's positively laugh out loud. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |

Cleary, Beverlyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Darling, LouisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dockray, TracyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rogers, JacquelineIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I am not a pest," Ramona Quimby told her big sister Beezus.
She was not going to pick up her crayons.  Nobody could make her pick up her crayons.  Nobody. Not her father nor her mother.  Not even the principal.  Not even God.

Kindergarten,
5 year old Ramona

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380709546, Paperback)

The engaging tale of young Ramona Quimby's first days in kindergarten, Ramona the Pest takes a pint-sized perspective on the trials and delights of beginning school. Ramona can't wait to learn all the important things. But she's disappointed when her teacher can't fill in missing parts of story lines, such as how Mike Mulligan (of Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel) went to the bathroom while digging the basement of the town hall. Nonetheless, Ramona loves her teacher, and loves going to school in spite of the torments--having to wear hand-me-down boots, for example, or having to (sometimes) suppress the urge to pull on another girl's "boing-boing" curls. Ramona's energetic take on life appeals to children who have passed through this stage, or who are dealing with a kindergarten-age sibling who is exhibiting Ramona-ish tendencies. (Ages 7 to 12) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:14 -0400)

Ramona meets lots of interesting people in kindergarten class, like Davy whom she keeps trying to kiss and Susan whose springy curls seem to ask to be pulled.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,738,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible