Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary

Ramona the Pest (1968)

by Beverly Cleary

Series: Ramona Quimby (2)

Clementine by Sara Pennypacker (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: If you like Ramona, you will love Clementine -- another spunky, lovable heroine.

"This is a great day! A great day!" Sings Ramona on the first day of kindergarten. This is laugh-out-loud funny for kids and adults and chronicles the life of imaginative Ramona Quimby. It also speaks to the tender heart of children and helps them learn that they are not alone in their struggle through childhood. We were in the library last week and my four year old was upset about having to share a toy, but all I had to say was, "Are you making a great big noisy fuss?" and he was able to laugh it off. Thank you, Beverly Cleary! ( )
  aconant | Jun 6, 2014 |
I remember reading these books as a young girl! I loved the stories about Ramona because they were witty and entertaining! This book is about Ramona's experience as a Kindergartener. She is named as a pest at home and school. She has a difficult time adjusting to nap time, getting along with peers and following directions. She really likes her teacher and tries to please her. She loves things like show and tell, dressing up for halloween, and running around on the playground. She finds herself in trouble left and right. She gets kicked out of her class when she can't stop pulling another students hair. She stays home and says she can't go back to school. Her mom can't seem to get a reason out of her. She is overjoyed when she receives a letter from her teacher, Mrs. Binney explaining she kept her tooth and wonders when she is coming back to school. Ramona excitedly decides to return to class! ( )
  azlanshae | May 27, 2014 |
Was lots of fun to revisit this childhood book with my kindergartner. I think I like Ramona more now then I did as a kid. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
Just like all the other Ramona books, you're sure to like this one. Ramona's personality makes these books page turners and reminds us of so many little people in our lives.
  polochick | Feb 18, 2014 |
This one told from Ramona's point of view. Beezus and Ramona had Beezus telling the tale. Great to have both sides of the story told. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |

Cleary, Beverlyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Darling, LouisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dockray, TracyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rogers, JacquelineIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I am not a pest," Ramona Quimby told her big sister Beezus.
She was not going to pick up her crayons.  Nobody could make her pick up her crayons.  Nobody. Not her father nor her mother.  Not even the principal.  Not even God.

Kindergarten,
5 year old Ramona

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380709546, Paperback)

The engaging tale of young Ramona Quimby's first days in kindergarten, Ramona the Pest takes a pint-sized perspective on the trials and delights of beginning school. Ramona can't wait to learn all the important things. But she's disappointed when her teacher can't fill in missing parts of story lines, such as how Mike Mulligan (of Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel) went to the bathroom while digging the basement of the town hall. Nonetheless, Ramona loves her teacher, and loves going to school in spite of the torments--having to wear hand-me-down boots, for example, or having to (sometimes) suppress the urge to pull on another girl's "boing-boing" curls. Ramona's energetic take on life appeals to children who have passed through this stage, or who are dealing with a kindergarten-age sibling who is exhibiting Ramona-ish tendencies. (Ages 7 to 12) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:34 -0400)

Ramona meets lots of interesting people in kindergarten class, like Davy whom she keeps trying to kiss and Susan whose springy curls seem to ask to be pulled.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,695,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible