The Mummy or Ramses the Damned by Anne Rice

The Mummy or Ramses the Damned (1989)

by Anne Rice

20th century (10) American literature (12) Ancient Egypt (14) Anne Rice (75) Cleopatra (21) dark fantasy (13) ebook (9) Egypt (91) fantasy (143) fiction (401) gothic (19) historical (14) historical fiction (17) horror (321) immortality (15) mummies (93) mummy (54) novel (42) own (22) paperback (29) paranormal (26) Ramses (22) read (71) Rice (18) romance (23) sff (10) supernatural (43) to-read (27) unread (24) vampires (44)

English (34)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (37)
Could. Not. Stop. Reading. Reads like a cross between a b-slasher movie and a Class-A spine tingler. Of all the Anne Rice books, I loved this one the most. ( )
  lesmel | Jun 26, 2014 |
My favorite Anne Rice novel. ( )
  pussreboots | Apr 27, 2014 |
Pur non aspettandomi un capolavoro sono rimasta delusa. La storia è largamente farcita di luoghi comuni con l'aggravante della prevedibilità. ( )
  Spell.bound | Apr 3, 2013 |
Not that expected much from Anne Rice, I still expected better than this - a romanticised 'mummy' tale, not much horror and weak characters. The first pages seemed to promise so much, and after reading the whole book, I don't know, I felt cheated from some more interesting intrigue, more action, better characters, etc.

I suppose it could pretend to be a basic novel, but the whole thing felt like a 'copy and paste' cliché from old movies, with some modern writing thrown in, and, worse of all, the annoying bland characters make the whole thing suitable for people who actually *don't* like Anne Rice, which is a surprise. The mummy itself, Ramses, ended up looking like a complete Edwardian romantic fop! Maybe our modern tastes have been fashioned to expect strong lead characters and/or plots that would be out of the ordinary, I can't say, but seriously, I had expected to find some Anne Rice in Anne Rice. ( )
  soniaandree | Aug 27, 2012 |
Julie Stratford’s father is a retired shipping mogul who now spends his time as an archaeologist in Egypt. He uncovers a tomb that claims to be that of Ramses the Damned, even though his tomb was already found. Everything in the tomb is written in hieroglyphs, Latin, and Greek, and the mummy is accompanied by scrolls claiming that Ramses is immortal, was a lover of Cleopatra, and can and will rise again.

Anne Rice's beautiful, lyrical writing is again present here. Unfortunately, it is destroyed by a mainstream romantic plot that completely undermines the willpower and respectability of the heroine. Additionally, there is stark Eurocentrism present in the story. The clearest example is the fact that the elixir of life turns brown eyes blue. So there are no immortals with brown eyes. I am so disappointed, Anne Rice. Whereas the Vampire Chronicles are a lovely mix of social commentary, lyrical writing, and all the best tropes of genre fiction, The Mummy is a beautifully written book that is destroyed by a kind of offensive, all-too-common plot and Eurocentrism. Even beautiful writing can’t overcome that.

Check out my full review: http://wp.me/pp7vL-BN ( )
  gaialover | Nov 3, 2011 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

This novel is dedicated with love

Stan Rice
and
Christopher Rice

Gita Mehta
an instant inspiration

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
for his great mummy stories
"Lot No. 249" and "The Ring of Thoth"

H. Rider Haggard
who created the immortal She

All who have brought
"the mummy" to life
in stories, novels and film.

And lastly

My father
Howard O'Brien
who came more than once
to get me from the neighborhood show,
when "the mummy" had scared me
so badly that I couldn't even stay
in the lobby with the creepy music
coming through the doors.

The camera flashes blinded him for a moment.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345369947, Mass Market Paperback)

InThe Mummy Anne Rice weaves the same magic for the world and history of mummies that she previously did for the worlds and mythologies of vampires and witches. Ramses the Great lives, but having drunk the elixir of life, he is now Ramses the Damned, doomed forever to wander the earth, desperate to quell certain mummy hungers that can never be satisfied!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:57 -0400)

Doomed forever to wander the earth, desperate to quell his insatiable hungers, Ramses the Damned turns up in Edwardian London as Dr. Ramsey and begins a romance with heiress Julie Stratford, but his cursed past again propels him toward disaster.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,476,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible